ClarkeThrasher

Suggestions on how to make a plumbing access panel?

This would be like a narrow, short cased doorway with an unhinged slab door on the access side and nothing but plaster, tile, or bathtub on the bath side.

Small thin door without hardware or hinges, material same as surrounding wall

post-51-0-47137100-1463261539_thumb.png

Use doorway tool, adjust it, poly slab for door. You would not see drywall or plaster when looking into access panel.

The downside to this method is it will cut through the entire wall, not good if there is a room on the other side. On the good side it will show up in the door schedule if you want it to be included.

I think I would probably use a couple wall material regions. Some variation of this (maybe using a moulding polyline or a 3rd material region for the frame or casing if you want it)...

post-46-0-65129200-1463264707_thumb.png

Access panel.plan

Those are usually just a painted metal panel, no swing, no thickness, no hinges, I just use a wall material region, noted using a label. I would not want it in any schedule

Those are usually just a painted metal panel, no swing, no thickness, no hinges, I just use a wall material region, noted using a label. I would not want it in any schedule

Agreed. Pretty much exactly what I was getting at.

The Door/Cabinet method can also be used for wall access to crawl space or child's secret room.

I use a cabinet. I modify the depth and just use the cabinet door, changed to whatever I want. That's the way we build them - just a cabinet face frame with a door attached; and it matches the cabinets in the house if desired. I put these on many plans, especially for an access to the back of the plumbing for a shower. I have personally had to tear out tile, backerboard, etc. just to repair a leaking shower connection. I wished then there had been an access panel on the back side of the wall.

Mike