How Do I Align Objects With Grid?

HaywardVT

Go to solution Solved by BenPalmer,

The objects of my plan are offset from the grid snaps grid by a number I can't determine. Is there a way to realign the grid? Maybe choose a point where an intersection should be? Or have it so my mouse snaps to the grid? I don't know why it's designed like this, but grid snaps doesn't snap to the grid, it snaps to the intervals of the distance the grid snap is set to from the original selection point, making the grid itself useless.

For example: If an object is offset from the grid (I use 1/4") by 0.0833972978", I can't just click and drag the object and snap it to the grid because I can only move it by increments of 0.25". 

post-8426-0-58315400-1449604009_thumb.png

I have my grid set  to 3" and then I basically ignore it except when it gets in the way.  Then I turn it off.  Like Michael, grid snaps are only valuable to me in cases where I'm doing 2D CAD and that's usually something to do with a Custom Detail or a Layout Page Definition.

• Solution

To answer the original question: I occasionally get a plan off grid due to autocad import, rotating a plan via edit area, etc.  New plans are automatically on grid if set up correctly, but for those rare times it is off, here is what I do: I draw two intersection cad lines on grid, somewhat close to the corner of two walls (like in your pic), then 'edit area all' and then do a 'point to point' move from the wall intersection, to the cad line intersection.  Should be good to go after that, regardless of what your preferred grid settings are.

Hope that helps.

I used to use AutoCAD as well and didn't use grid snaps then, but CA snaps aren't as good (even with every object snap option on I can't snap to things I want to) and clicking on an object doesn't always give me the gray dimensions I need to make the changes I want. It's way easier to have grid snaps on so I know the exact distance I move an object without worrying about finding the right dimensions and object snaps, especially with really small values.

Ben Palmer, that's a good idea but how do I know the CAD lines I make will be on the grid? That's what I call eyeballing it, and I've done it enough to know that it hardly ever works. It might look like it's where you want it but zoom in enough and you'll see that it isn't. Even if it looks like the CAD line I make is overlapped perfectly onto the grid line, it could be off by a value smaller than the width of a pixel when fully zoomed in. I only trust snaps and dimensions that I know are snapped to the right points.

Of course, you're solution would probably work for this situation. The grid can't be snapped to and is only there for visual aid, so if it looks like it's on then it's close enough because the snap distances come from the object and not the grid. 

Per your picture, you have the grid, so as long as 'grid snaps' are on (Ctrl + F9), then the new cad lines will draw on grid even though you won't see any snapping visual aids.  If it isn't on grid, then there is a setting wrong, or something that is snapping off the grid forcing the line to move.  Just stay away from anything else for the cad lines to snap to.  The new cad lines don't even have to be close to the corner.  If you want to be sure, upload your plan, and someone can take a look at it.  Beyond that, we can only give you are best guess based on the information provided.  It works perfectly for me every time.  Never had a problem getting things back on grid.  Staying on grid in the first place or how people prefer to use it is a different discussion.

Ben Palmer, that's a good idea but how do I know the CAD lines I make will be on the grid? That's what I call eyeballing it, and I've done it enough to know that it hardly ever works. It might look like it's where you want it but zoom in enough and you'll see that it isn't. Even if it looks like the CAD line I make is overlapped perfectly onto the grid line, it could be off by a value smaller than the width of a pixel when fully zoomed in. I only trust snaps and dimensions that I know are snapped to the right points.

Are you aware of the difference between the reference grid a the snap grid?

The reference grid you can't snap to whilst you can always snap to the snap grid if it is displayed. 

Also...when drawing or moving walls...  they will snap to the grid according to the Resize About setting (Alt+Q). 

If this is set to Outer Surface, walls will snap their outer surface to the grid - similarly for any of the other settings. 

Cad lines should ALWAYS snap to the grid (if turned on).