Deck/Room Will Not build Over Roof?

HumbleChief

Glenn is correct, it is the height of the roof.

In the attached plan I've split the roof into two roofs, the main patio roof , and a second for the fill framing.

That's the same solution I came up with. Thanks for posting and taking the time.

Is this expected behavior in your world of Chief? Would you expect the height of the roof to effect the deck floor like this? Curious and thanks again.

Glenn is correct, it is the height of the roof.

In the attached plan I've split the roof into two roofs, the main patio roof , and a second for the fill framing.

Okay Bill,  I get your solution.  That essentially is what I did in my own personal plan that I posted a picture of.

But here is the challenge....  suppose the deck is at an elevation that will eventually get buried by the roof....  how do you deal with that.  As you can see by Larry's plan edited by me,  I have the deck getting buried into the roof......  I know,  not necessarily good design....  but suppose that is what I want.....   I am able to do it and I think the reason Larry was not able to do it was because of how he messes around with the floor defaults.  No blame intended Larry,  just an observation.

My goal is to be able to build anything I want in spite of CA's supposed limitations.

Okay Bill,  I get your solution.  That essentially is what I did in my own personal plan that I posted a picture of.

But here is the challenge....  suppose the deck is at an elevation that will eventually get buried by the roof....  how do you deal with that.  As you can see by Larry's plan edited by me,  I have the deck getting buried into the roof......  I know,  not necessarily good design....  but suppose that is what I want.....   I am able to do it and I think the reason Larry was not able to do it was because of how he messes around with the floor defaults.  No blame intended Larry,  just an observation.

My goal is to be able to build anything I want in spite of CA's supposed limitations.

Always appreciate your feedback but even with corrected floor heights (which I did not mess around with) the problem remains. The 2 roof planes solves it but it took me by surprise. I did send the plan in to headquarters. I'll post what I find out.

..and THANK YOU everyone for all your help!!

Nope.

Text in full;

"It appears that once the roof plane below gets to the height of the floor above, the floor structure goes away. I found that if I recreate that roof plane with 2 planes, it works as it should. You should be able to correct the problem with the same alteration. I have attached an image of the change I made. The second roof plane is filled in red.

I will submit this to our development team to look into."

I can see the roof being a problem if a roof plane cuts the deck, but in this case roof plane is nowhere close to the deck, and the top of the ridge is way up there... that shouldn't be an issue. I thought it had something to do with the lack of support for the deck, but looking at the framing details, there is no way this deck can be attached the way it shows. I guess a s^*t load of manual framing has to be done to make this work and if you like to show the framing details.

post-4069-0-79023800-1442497057_thumb.jpg

Thanks Greg but the plan is in early preliminary development. Lots of decisions still to be made on framing, structure, support, feasibilty etc. The OP was about the deck floor disappearing not the actual design or its feasibility. Still doesn't seem right that the floor would disappear but sure enough it does.