Sketchup vs Chief

Scottisimo

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  I have downloaded the trial version of Chief and am trying to learn to draw exterior walls.  Extremely frustrating.  I am following the scenario given in the Users Guide, and it seems that I do what they tell me to do, but it doesn't work the way they say it should.  I have always been a good student and good at following directions, so I suspect that this is a case of badly written directions.  If this is true, it would be very disappointing for such an expensive, highly touted, program.  Any comments?

Too early to critisize! I think this guy failed to imitate an honest frustrated newbee. But no matter what things you are hiding to show us. A good student comes up with some really nice critique after some hard work. I have a doubt what type of student this guy was.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early to critisize! I think this guy failed to imitate an honest frustrated newbee. But no matter what things you are hiding to show us. A good student comes up with some really nice critique after some hard work. I have a doubt what type of student this guy was.

Troll anyone?... This why some boards are aggressively moderated.

This is the "Troll" speaking, A.K.A. the "honest frustrated newbie":

I don't know what a troll is, but it doesn't sound good.  Whatever it is, I am not one.  My name is Scott Simril and I live in Pacific Palisades, CA.  This is my website:  www.simril.net.  I have been a successful contractor for 35 years, so I can't be too stupid.  "Honest frustrated newbie" sounds like a good description.

I will figure out the wall thing.  The first time, I drew them, it worked pretty well, except that I had to make numerous corrections to the length of the walls in my project.  Despite going clockwise and correcting each wall length in turn, Chief seemed to keep giving me the wrong lengths for some of the walls.  I'm sure it was something simple that I was doing wrong.  The second time I did it, I followed the instructions in the Users Guide to a "T", or at least I thought I did.  I had several problems:  Some of the walls I drew were "zig zagged", and I couldn't get them to be straight.  I also couldn't get Chief to draw a short wall.  Maybe there is a Troll in the program I am using. :)

Oh well.  I will figure it out.  Thank you all for your help.  And can someone explain what a Troll is?  Just so I know.

Drawing the walls is the first task we all learn.  It is extremely easy.  If you are having a difficult time drawing the walls,  I suggest you find another program.

Drawing the walls is the first task we all learn.  It is extremely easy.  If you are having a difficult time drawing the walls,  I suggest you find another program.

A little harsh even for a Troll. You are the Choir master for Chief

Hey Scott, glad you got it worked out.

I think the nature of your question, drawing simple exterior walls, lead us to think you weren't really trying and just 'trolling' the forum for a response but not really interested in one. 

Since you've now formally introduced your self please feel free to ask questions about any aspect of Chief. You will find some amazing help here on the forums.

Scottisimo:

sorry for Scott's reply, he likes to chastise ...

if your walls are zig-sagging then you probably have "angle snaps" off

what type of "short wall" are you trying to create

posting your plan will get better replies as to your issues

Chief is probably best for doing residential/light commercial plans

Sketchup has many benefits and makes a nice companion to  Chief

I have Sketchup for sale for $350 (lastest update cost $95)

includes many training books etc

I am retired and no longer need SU, but still use Chief for personal projects

A troll is someone who joins a forum to tout their software or to cause trouble

welcome to Chieftalk

Lew

Hey Scott, glad you got it worked out.

I think the nature of your question, drawing simple exterior walls, lead us to think you weren't really trying and just 'trolling' the forum for a response but not really interested in one. 

Since you've now formally introduced your self please feel free to ask questions about any aspect of Chief. You will find some amazing help here on the forums.

Thank you, Humble Chief

Scottisimo:

sorry for Scott's reply, he likes to chastise ...

if your walls are zig-sagging then you probably have "angle snaps" off

what type of "short wall" are you trying to create

posting your plan will get better replies as to your issues

Chief is probably best for doing residential/light commercial plans

Sketchup has many benefits and makes a nice companion to  Chief

I have Sketchup for sale for $350 (lastest update cost $95)

includes many training books etc

I am retired and no longer need SU, but still use Chief for personal projects

A troll is someone who joins a forum to tout their software or to cause trouble

welcome to Chieftalk

Lew

I will figure out the wall thing.  The first time, I drew them, it worked pretty well, except that I had to make numerous corrections to the length of the walls in my project.  Despite going clockwise and correcting each wall length in turn, Chief seemed to keep giving me the wrong lengths for some of the walls.

Scottisimo, it's hard to imagine Chief Architect making errors in dimensions, except maybe it's possible if we try too hard, or the dimension defaults are not set as you want them.

I start by making a crude outline of the exterior perimeter with Exterior Walls. Then, I do an Auto-Dimension Exterior. Here's where I get serious about getting the perimeter correct by using the dimensions placed by the Auto Dim tool.

In my rarely humble opinion, Chief is a very ROBUST design, con-doc tool. My opinion is skewed because I have been with CA since ver. 1. I have learned (and at times, unlearned) in small doses with each new rev. My business emphasis has shifted through the years, and I have found that Chief has had functions to migrate with me.

I can imagine that it's daunting to come into ver X7 and start from scratch. I hope that you'll keep watching the on-line training videos and learn to trust the program. We all want you to succeed and be able to lend us a hand when needed, too.

Troll anyone?... This why some boards are aggressively moderated.

I was wondering the same thing.

I was wondering if some one was trolling us, so that the strongly prohipted act of rudeness gets approval to continue..........

this is totally a different issue.

I think that I can buy Chief with a 30 day return policy if I am not satisfied.  That seems like it's the same as the trial program, except I'll be able to save and post.  What do you think?

If you're serious about learning Chief then why not? This forum will get you up to speed pretty quickly but be prepared for a fairly interesting ride.

Scottisimo, it's hard to imagine Chief Architect making errors in dimensions, except maybe it's possible if we try too hard, or the dimension defaults are not set as you want them.

I start by making a crude outline of the exterior perimeter with Exterior Walls. Then, I do an Auto-Dimension Exterior. Here's where I get serious about getting the perimeter correct by using the dimensions placed by the Auto Dim tool.

In my rarely humble opinion, Chief is a very ROBUST design, con-doc tool. My opinion is skewed because I have been with CA since ver. 1. I have learned (and at times, unlearned) in small doses with each new rev. My business emphasis has shifted through the years, and I have found that Chief has had functions to migrate with me.

I can imagine that it's daunting to come into ver X7 and start from scratch. I hope that you'll keep watching the on-line training videos and learn to trust the program. We all want you to succeed and be able to lend us a hand when needed, too.

Scottisimo,

I think I was correct in assuming you are used to CAD tpe of entering lengths.

In CHief you can start drawing a wall and then hit the tab key and then enter a dimension OR

I think most of us rought out the shape and then click an auto-dimension or other dimension and enter the

"wanted" dimension. IT is a different way of doing things but works well once you get used to it.

Scottisimo,

I think I was correct in assuming you are used to CAD tpe of entering lengths.

In CHief you can start drawing a wall and then hit the tab key and then enter a dimension OR

I think most of us rought out the shape and then click an auto-dimension or other dimension and enter the

"wanted" dimension. IT is a different way of doing things but works well once you get used to it.