Can Chief's Auto Elevations Match This?

AriseDesign

Vectorworks highlights the layout windows that are out of date. You can either update all or just the one you want to work on. I guess we have to just keep on asking.

I like this idea, Sherry. I have never used Vectorworks, use Autocad rarely (stopped upgrading at v.4), but this would be a great feature. I like the idea of the layout not updating automatically - shows how different many of us use the program. Sometimes I may move a column on the front porch 1/2" to center it with the dimensions on the plan, or make some minor adjustment that would not be recognized in the elevations or sections at 1/4" scale. I don't want to have to go back and redo all of the "clean-up" I have done to that elevation or section. I don't know about you guys, but I still seem to clean-up the stray lines, unconnected lines, or the occasional incorrect line weight. Chief is much improved in this area, but still requires some attention.

Mike

I like this idea, Sherry. I have never used Vectorworks, use Autocad rarely (stopped upgrading at v.4), but this would be a great feature. I like the idea of the layout not updating automatically - shows how different many of us use the program. Sometimes I may move a column on the front porch 1/2" to center it with the dimensions on the plan, or make some minor adjustment that would not be recognized in the elevations or sections at 1/4" scale. I don't want to have to go back and redo all of the "clean-up" I have done to that elevation or section. I don't know about you guys, but I still seem to clean-up the stray lines, unconnected lines, or the occasional incorrect line weight. Chief is much improved in this area, but still requires some attention.

Mike

Autocad gives you a message or warning flag that the reference has been changed - it is up to the user to update or not - however, if you save and reopen the drawing it will update all the references automatically

I know Revit does, even Autocad Architecture (my main tool) can do it but it does not look that good, I am sure Archicad does it and even Softplan does....Vectorworks?

Looking back at your post #42, that looks pretty good - but yes, Vectorworks does all this very well.

What doesn't make sense to me is that Chief seems to have the ability to do all this fine, but it just doesnt.

Just do an ortho view with shadows and 'technical illustration".   Play with settings...etc.

Not exactly what you are trying to do  (I did not take time to paint windows black...but took me 5 min)

An ortho with shadows combined with an elevation.  If I took a little more time, I could make it nicer.

I THINK WE A WINNER!!! VERY NICE. 

I'LL BE ADOPTING THIS METHOD.

Speaking of beating a dead horse...I've been doing elevations like these for a long time.

For the most part, I've found the easiest way to do it is like everyone stated...technical illustration.  With the release of X7, I've found that you can't paint window glass anymore...not sure why but it never changes in some of the rendering techniques.  My workaround for that is just to put blinds on the windows you're doing the elevation on (see attached).

For the hard shadows, just change your shadow preference to "Legacy Shadows" under Edit>Preferences>Render>General Options...that will give you hard shadows.

post-237-0-08578400-1433800427_thumb.jpg

My workaround for that is just to put blinds on the windows you're doing the elevation on (see attached).

Good idea (and nice out of the box thinking)! I'll have to use that. Won't help for doors with glass, but it's a good start until CA gives us more control over the glass color. 

Nice view, Jonathan. I would also consider using slabs with dark color of choice behind any opening, window or door. I have used these extensively on some projects where I want to control what is seen thru the openings. Just put them on their own layer and turn them on and off when needed or make a layerset. Make one and copy them for each change in size.

Mike

.....@Levis - I've noticed that the glass in doors still paint correctly, it's just the windows act weird.

Can you explain this?  How and what did you paint in the doors?  Can you post a small plan with window and door?  thx

@Scott - See attached.  Not sure if that answers all of your questions or not...

The door is just the stock E03 from the library, and the windows...are just windows.

Thanks Jonathan,  a few observations...  do you agree with my observations ?....

1-   as you stated the door glass behave differently than window glass,  are you talking about the difference being very evident in the TECHNICAL VIEW ?

2-   by coloring the glass,  you still do not get a shaded window.  To get the shaded glass you must give the glass material a PATTERN in lieu of a COLOR or use blinds,  Do you agree?

3-   The attached pic is what my elevation would look like if the window glass had a PATTERN

Finally,  no you did not answer the question because I was probably not clear.  I was wondering how you used blinds.   Can you post a small plans utilizing the blinds?

Finally,  I really like your elevations,  I think the shaded windows make it pop (I did this in hand drawing days),  so I am trying to find out best way to get the shaded windows in elevation.......

.....  should I use your method with blinds or

......  should I use my method of a PATTERN on the glass....  down side to my method is I think it slows the plan down.

Thanks 

post-50-0-81351500-1433871768_thumb.png

1) Yes, in the Technical Illustration and it also behaves that way in Watercolor.  Not positive about others, as I don't use them.

2) Technically by spraying the glass it would show up as "shaded".  Or at least more shaded...

3) Looks good...except there's no shadows.

Finally, thanks :)

I also attached a revised copy of the Test.plan with using the blinds.

You can use whatever method you want...that's one of the great things about living in the United States of America...I'm jes sayin'.

Test.plan

post-237-0-78246100-1433873910_thumb.jpg

1) Yes, in the Technical Illustration and it also behaves that way in Watercolor.  Not positive about others, as I don't use them.

GOT IT

2) Technically by spraying the glass it would show up as "shaded".  Or at least more shaded...

UNDERSTAND,  BUT IT DOES NOT HELP IN THE BACK CLIP CROSS SECTION SENT TO LAYOUT

3) Looks good...except there's no shadows.

YEP,  KIND OF A DRAG,  MAYBE IN X8 WE CAN GET THE SHADOWS WITHOUT HAVING TO DEAL WITH THE TECK ILLUSTRATION BACK DROP

Finally, thanks :)

I also attached a revised copy of the Test.plan with using the blinds.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE BLINDS GIVES US THAT THE COLORED GLASS DOES NOT

You can use whatever method you want...that's one of the great things about living in the United States of America...I'm jes sayin'.

YOU BETCHA,  I AM ALWAYS TO FIND A BETTER WAY WITH THE HELP OF OTHERS

Thanks Jonathan,  see you in Idaho.....

The blinds are a work-around since painting the window glass doesn't work in X7 anymore...that's the only reason for it.

I've moved away from sending homeowners photorealistic, and worked on trying to send elevations like these.  I've always found VectorWorks elevations look the best, so those are the ones I try to mimic...