Square Footage Doe's Not Add Up Right

builtright3

Look at your dimensions they are not locating the same side of the wall for the individual room square footages. The way you show the rooms, they would have different sizes. If you dim. was located at the center of the middle wall they would be the same.

Look at your dimensions they are not locating the same side of the wall for the individual room square footages. The way you show the rooms, they would have different sizes. If you dim. was located at the center of the middle wall they would be the same.

I think the OP realizes this - the issue is, as illustrated in the first post, why the Garage displays a Standard Area that is less than it should, eg 400+393<800.

To different problems going on here but I think they may be related.

I changed the wall on the first floor to the center and the SF is still off. It only does it when it is a garage on one side but it should still come out the same. 400 SF each side.

post-2478-0-84751700-1428597416_thumb.png

I have something messed up. I added interior and exterior wall layer sets that I copied from the "Walls, Normal" layer set and then I set the interior and exterior wall to my defaults. It works fine that way but when I build the second floor it picks up the "Walls, Normal" again.

What's up with that? This is frustrating!

I put the plan in one of my past post if anyone wants to check out what I'm dealing with?

This is nutty.  This is basic stuff that we need to have correct on our plans.  This information must be accurate. This is why some of us are advocating for CLOSED PLINES WITH LABELS..... this way we can manually size the boxes and the label will display the area of the CLOSED PLINE.  

This is why I never use CA's area calculations.  I can not trust their calculations.  This information must be accurate.  I cannot stress enough to CA how important this information is.  If this information is inaccurate it can cost somebody thousands and thousands of dollars.

• Upvote 1

...This is why I never use CA's area calculations.  I can not trust their calculations.  This information must be accurate.  I cannot stress enough to CA how important this information is.  If this information is inaccurate it can cost somebody thousands and thousands of dollars.

Agree, agree, agree.

I just did some checking and found the following:

%standard_area% reports the area to the center_line of the enclosing walls.
%internal_area% reports the area to the interior face of the walls.

Using the default labels (Rooms, Standard Area & Rooms, Internal Area) both are rounded to the nearest sq.ft.
Using the Ruby attributes they are accurate to 14 decimal places.

I'm not sure what you want or need to show. My preference is a Custom Room Label using a  Rich Text Box where I can specifically note what the area indicates.

post-47-0-68234800-1428673019_thumb.jpg

I have a layer set up called "Square Feet" and I do polylines around the areas I'm calculating square footage. Its extra work but quick and easy and I don't have to worry about being off on square footage.

Probably the only way to really deal with the issue other than Scott's request above for closed poly lines with labels.

From the Chief Reference Manual (I'm still on X6):

Rooms, Standard Area is measured from
the center of interior walls to either the
outside surface of exterior walls or exterior
wall framing, depending on the Living Area
to setting in the General Plan Defaults dialog.

So, with the scenario originally posted by the OP, it makes perfect sense that the Living room displays a smaller Standard Area than the Garage, because the interior dimensions are different:

post-95-0-21433500-1428675275_thumb.png

The math confirms this: 20' 0" x 19' 10" = 396.66 sqft, and 20' 0" x 20' 2" = 403.33 sqft. Chief does the rounding for you.

The living space drawing in this photo is correct in my understanding. Figures square footage to the center of a shared wall.

The one with the garage makes no since at all. Go Figure!!!???

BTW: I figure to the outside framing, not the stucco for SF. That's what the plan checkers have always told me anyway. It came up one time when we had to have a 10 foot set back and they were ok with figuring to the framing. I could have been doing it wrong all this time but I never heard of going to the outside stucco.

post-2478-0-66963700-1428676441_thumb.png

I now see how that works to the center of the wall, thanks Robert.

But change the actual room def to garage instead of just writing the words and the result is much different but perhaps makes sense again as Chief will take SF from the garage by moving the measurement from the center of the wall to the garage side of the wall, increasing the room SF and decreasing the garage SF. Starting to make sense to my thick skull.