Hello Agan And X7 Basement Wall Question

TennVol

Yes but I don't want to have to turn on and off many layers when I could just put it on level 1 and have a separate foundation with one click. Also we have to put a lot more info on the foundation plan then you do and it would get very messy. looking at your foundation plan , it wouldn't pass here. All Holdowns and Shear walls Anchor placement have to be on the framing and the foundation plans.

yes, but for me I still want the different levels for for basement and foundation  plans, not saying your system doesn't work for you , it just wont work for me. Reference sets work better for me I have one on every view sent to layout. and you can change those within the layout alone without having to open the view and change the anno-set.

Perry, can you elaborate on "Reference Sets"... I've read a lot about these in the forum but found no relevant information in Chief's User & Reference Manuals. That is, except for the "Reference Display Set" shown as red lines. Thank you.

It makes sense to me to allow what Perry is asking for. If we did this we probably would allow for things to be combined for the less complicated cases as we do now so you wouldn't have to use the option.

I've also thought that it would make sense to allow creation of unlimited levels below 1.

Perry, can you elaborate on "Reference Sets"... I've read a lot about these in the forum but found no relevant information in Chief's User & Reference Manuals.  That is, except for the "Reference Display Set" shown as red lines.  Thank you.

For me, reference sets are one of the most important things Chief has to offer , What it means is "Draw it once and never draw or copy it again". One example is, showing shear wall , holdowns and anchor bolt placement on the foundation plan, very simple to set up and saves time. I actually take that info from my framing plans and show it on the foundation plan.  Another is showing 1st floor exterior walls and roof on the 2nd floor plan, you don't have to add cad lines to show that , just reference that on any plan. the  All red line reference set is just how Chief set up that reference set. You can have any color, line weight and style you want. I will usually copy another layer-set, that's close to what I want, and add the word "reference" to it. There you go, you have created a reference set. Then change it to what you need to show. It is a huge time saver for those that use and understand it. .

For me, reference sets are one of the most important things Chief has to offer , What it means is "Draw it once and never draw or copy it again". One example is, showing shear wall , holdowns and anchor bolt placement on the foundation plan, very simple to set up and saves time. I actually take that info from my framing plans and show it on the foundation plan.  Another is showing 1st floor exterior walls and roof on the 2nd floor plan, you don't have to add cad lines to show that , just reference that on any plan. the  All red line reference set is just how Chief set up that reference set. You can have any color, line weight and style you want. I will usually copy another layer-set, that's close to what I want, and add the word "reference" to it. There you go, you have created a reference set. Then change it to what you need to show. It is a huge time saver for those that use and understand it. .

What Perry says is so important,  and if you do not understand it,  I would suggest you learn it.  I did a vid set on ref sets explaining Perry's thinking,  look for it,  it is somewhere,  there is some really good stuff there.

What Doug says here  

I've also thought that it would make sense to allow creation of unlimited levels below 1.

would be a  plus, but not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Back to the Perry's ref sets,  ref sets are so so valuable,  and they can be improved upon if we could include MULTIPLE FLOOR REF SETS WITH REFS FROM MULTIPLE FLOORS for any view sent to layout.  I have spoken to Scott Harris about this and I would bet someday in the future the suggestion will be implemented.   Scott Harris is all about listening to what we need,  he will eventually make it happen.

In regards to whether the basement is on level zero or level one,  the mono slab guys are thinking ahead and understand why basements on level one is preferable to basements on level zero.  Basements can and do work on level zero,  but here is the challenge the mono slab guys recognize........

Try to build a basement on level zero,  and then try to put a mono slab detached garage on that same level.  You guys in the northeast,  I bet you can not do it.....  but us nit wits who use daylight basements and detached mono slab garages at that particular level,  understand why we have found it works better for us to put the basement plans on level 1....  hmmmmmmm.......  this might be why Doug Park says we should have unlimited levels below level one...... 

...showing 1st floor exterior walls and roof on the 2nd floor plan, you don't have to add cad lines to show that , just reference that on any plan. ...I will usually copy another layer-set, that's close to what I want, and add the word "reference" to it. There you go, you have created a reference set. Then change it to what you need to show.

Very helpful, thanks.  I worked through this and ended up with a few other questions, but the info you provided (creating Reference Sets from Layer Sets being the key for me) was enough to search KB; came up with answers I needed.  If anyone else might be interested, check out:  http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00795/ 

This also provided insight:  http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00765/

DSH, I'll dig around for you videos too--they are always helpful.

Thanks again.

Very helpful, thanks.  I worked through this and ended up with a few other questions, but the info you provided (creating Reference Sets from Layer Sets being the key for me) was enough to search KB; came up with answers I needed.  If anyone else might be interested, check out:  http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00795/ 

This also provided insight:  http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00765/

DSH, I'll dig around for you videos too--they are always helpful.

Thanks again.

Thanks Perry + Steph_en , I was interested in MRS too , Scott called it MR(Layer)S in his videos Steph_eh , I'll add some links below.

Scott you did video's back in X3 by the looks ,has much changed since then?

I found 2 videos on this page

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall/index.html

and 3 on this page ,but think there are the same as above?...I guess the 4th didn't get made after all.

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall/mrls_total.html

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall/index.html

It still doesn't change the fact that, I want my foundations on its own level because of the clutter that can get to be quite a mess trying to combine the 2 levels. Too much info jammed on 1 level is just not good for professional work.

Joey was that all automatic? or did you use slabs.

Scott you did video's back in X3 by the looks ,has much changed since then?

Very little has changed.  

What will change when CA gets around to it,  will be the ability to use the MMRLS  (MULTIPLE MULTIPLE REF LAYER SETS).  What I mean by this is.....  not only will we have the ability to use MULTIPLE REF LAYER SETS (not doable until X3),  but we will have the ability to use the MULTIPLE MULTIPLE REF LAYER SETS which to me means we can send a PLAN VIEW to layout,  and that plan view may utilize several ref sets,  and each ref set may ref A DIFFERENT LEVEL.  

If you do not understand the MRLS,  the above statement will mean very little to you.  But if you do understand the MRLS,  you will  understand the  SUPER POWER of THE MMRLS.   Perry  spoke of the power of the ref sets,  what he did not address is the power of the MMRLS which is taking the MRLS one step further.

In several years,  this entire topic will be quite elementary.

On a side note,  the MRLS is very elementary now,  and some of us recognize this,  but pre X-3,  this was new ground breaking stuff.

In several years,  I predict the MMRLS will be very elementary.

Not trying to win, just trying to learn. I know our areas can be vastly different to build in, but I have not yet run across a situation that would cause me to want my foundation on any level other than 0.

Okay,  simple example.  I get that you east coast guys have basements.  Well we have walk out basements.  And sometimes we may have a detached garage on the same level as the walk out basement.  This means that the walls of the basement are on the same level as the walls of the detached garage (detached garage has a mono slab).

If we put the walls of the basement on the same level as the walls of the detached garage  (makes sense doesn't it)  and if the walls of the basement are on level zero,  then the walls of the detached garage are on level zero,  how do we put a mono slab below the walls of the detached garage on a level below level zero?  There is no level below level zero to put our mono slab on.

The above statement leads back to Doug Parks statement that maybe we should have the ability to have multiple levels below level one.  I do not disagree with Doug Parks statement.

I think us mono slab guys have learned that there is no harm in putting our basements on level one.  There is not any limitations to this approach,  it simply gives us the ability to use an additional layer (level zero) if we so choose for a mono slab.

Joey,  does that help you understand our approach?

Then in that example you are correct. I do homes in one community here in Indiana on a very nice golf course...many walkout lots. In your example, we call those floors the terrace level or ground level, which I would put on level 1 even though the front part of that structure may very well be poured concrete wall. Only we would have pool houses on mono slabs located on the terrace level, or maybe a small secondary garage. 

I think we both win in these cases.

I do a lot of homes with walk out basements. As you said the front portion is a poured concrete or ICF wall. Would the footing for that wall and the back frost wall then be on the foundation level (0)?

It depends. If we are just talking about a walkout, then I would leave it all on level 0, if it were a "terrace level" and there were going to be additional structures like in the examples above, then that would be level 1 and the stem walls and footings on level 0.

they are auto right now. If a change is made to the plan the foundation will keep up. Once you start changing any specifics that auto features will turn off.

thanks for posting the plan Joey , it's always good to see how others do stuff....can't find stuff like this in any manual.

M.

Okay, that makes sense. If I have to do an additional building on a site, I will do it in a seperate plan and then import as a symbol if I need to show it with the main building.

So much to learn and so little time......

Okay, that makes sense. If I have to do an additional building on a site, I will do it in a seperate plan and then import as a symbol if I need to show it with the main building.

So much to learn and so little time......

Not recommended,  I recommend keeping the out buildings in same plan.  If I had to guess,  Lew will disagree and recommend the symbol method.

Many times the outbuild is an afterthought. If I have the main drawing complete all it generally needs is an updated site plan with the second plan and I could even do that with a simple CAD poly. At this stage in my learning curve it seems much simpler to seperate the 2 drawings.

If I could just soak all of this wisdom up and draw from there it would be wonderful but alas, doesn't seem to be filtering in fast enough.