Rectangular Polyline, How To Break In Two?

4hotshoez

Todd,

1.  Draw a thin rectangle that crosses the lines you want to break (red in pic)

2.  Select that Rectangle and click on the trim tool (scissors) on the edit toolbar

3.  Select the fence on the edit toolbar

4.  Draw a line inside the thin rectangle so that it crosses the lines you want to cut out. (green in pic)

5.  Delete the thin rectangle

This is really the easiest way to do it.  You can skip #3 & #4 and just pick a line inside the rectangle - but then you have to repeat #2

post-47-0-89298100-1427403302_thumb.jpg

post-47-0-70795000-1427403316_thumb.jpg

Use the Break Line tool (double click) to completely break the polyline at the 2 points where you want to break it. 

You will now have 2 separate polylines. 

Select one of the polylines and use the Close Polyline tool to create an enclosed polyline. 

Same for the other polyline.

Use the Break Line tool (double click) to completely break the polyline at the 2 points where you want to break it. 

You will now have 2 separate polylines. 

Select one of the polylines and use the Close Polyline tool to create an enclosed polyline. 

Same for the other polyline.

Many ways to achieve what Todd wants, but Glenn's solution was the first method that popped up in my mind.

I think "3"3 is the break tool hot key, hit the 3 twice and then hit the line you want to break. I use this tool all the time.

Well, I learned something new. 

The trick is to double click on the "Break Line" Tool - then click on the line where you want to break it. 

I kept doing just the opposite - never used this before and it's definitely not intuitive.

Why don't you guys learn to be specific.  It would save me a lot of time trying to figure out the trick.

IAE, Most of the time I like to use the Trim Tool.  It allows me to cut out a Wall Section from a CAD Detail created from a Section very easily.

Thanks Joe,

My Break Line hotkey is BL and I did try using it twice and it didn't work.

I don't think I was doing it fast enough cause if I do BLBL really fast, it works.

Easier for me to double click the icon. 

Who would ever have thought to assign 3 as Break Line! :o