x16 slow rendering

MN_JohnH

I have a house plan that I drew over the last year or so, mostly on x15. Recently I upgraded to x16 of course and the same house plan is incredibly slow in generating elevations and camera view.
It is not all that elaborate of a plan, (though to be to upload here), and it worked fine in x15. I just upgraded my machine earlier this year before the x16 upgrade and I made sure I was getting the best possible laptop so I wouldn't need to get a new one again for a few years hopefully.
I went through and tried turning off layers that had high surface count objects etc and even started deleting them.
Just clicking on an object in a camera or elevation view and deleting would send me into a five minute wait.
Generating a full overview or an elevation from a plan takes a full 7 minutes.
I don't think I have noticed it so much in other plans, this is definitely one of my bigger plans but it is certainly not anything near as large as some of what I see others designing.
I know without seeing the plan, you can't see if anything is amiss but i wondered if I am missing something simple here in transitioning from 15 to 16?

I wondered if I am missing something simple here in transitioning from 15 to 16?

Any number of things can be going on.

1.) Open a sample plan. File>Download Sample Plans. Try one out and see how it goes. If X16 is working ok, then you'll know it's your plan. 

2.) Check the Rendering settings. 

Preferences> Render> Troubleshooting. Try toggling through a couple of options. Not saying that this is the issue, but tech support is always a great help when transitioning to new releases. They usually want to see what the settings are under "Render". 

3.) What's being described could be as simple as a video card setting. While the computer is going through the motions so to speak, check the Task Manager to see if a process/program has high CPU, Memory, or Disk usage.

Last bit of troubleshooting... Post the plan. 

If you post the plan, the someone could try it on their machine and it would be easy to tell if the problem is your plan or your computer.  You need to use the "export entire plan" tool so that they would have all of the same files and since it will be too big for the forum, you will need to post a link to it on some cloud location.

17 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

i wondered if I am missing something simple here in transitioning from 15 to 16?

How much Videocard Ram is there? 4GB is the minimum I think....

If you can't upload the Plan Here Start a Tech Support case through your digital locker, they can accept larger files.

M.

Well it took a while to find the problem.

The model took 5+ minutes to render on my tower also. With only 360,000 surfaces once it generated the view.

I started with looking for big symbols from imported objects. Then deleted all furniture, cabinets, fixtures, material regions. etc.

I think I found the culprit, the layers in the picture have cad blocks and hidden pdf files in the plan. I marquee select the items on each floor and deleted.

Once I deleted these items the 3d camera works as it should. It also reduced the plan file size by 30meg.

Bartlett-slow-render-layers.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:05 AM, MPDesign said:

Well it took a while to find the problem.

The model took 5+ minutes to render on my tower also. With only 360,000 surfaces once it generated the view.

I started with looking for big symbols from imported objects. Then deleted all furniture, cabinets, fixtures, material regions. etc.

I think I found the culprit, the layers in the picture have cad blocks and hidden pdf files in the plan. I marquee select the items on each floor and deleted.

Once I deleted these items the 3d camera works as it should. It also reduced the plan file size by 30meg.

Bartlett-slow-render-layers.png

Thanks,
I got rid of all the pdfs but I don't want to start deleting all my symbols and things.
In the past I could just turn off the layers that the symbols are on and then they wouldn't take time to be rendered every time I do something in camera view.
So it generates a camera view in maybe half the time now which is still way to long. Even with all the layers that the complex symbols are on turned off.
I wish now I would have saved a copy in x15, I could just use that for this drawing, it has become pretty much unusable for me now.
Anyway, thanks for the help. I will watch it with the PDF files in the future.

I should note that PDF rendering performance has improved significantly starting in X13, and it should be much rarer for an embedded PDF to cause slowdowns, especially ones that entirely block interaction with the plan. If you've observed slowdowns with PDFs in current versions of the software, I'd encourage you to submit a bug report, as that's very much unexpected behavior.