x15 Why isn't my auto archive storing any files?

DianeP

Can anyone help me figure this one out?  I should have multiple archive files by now.  I have been working on this plan for days.  i followed the actual path to where the files are supposed to be filed, but there wasn't any difference in the contents.   

image.thumb.png.402e91c0a0b8a79c42ea4f0f687801aa.png

image.thumb.png.946453a2ba994825df3c4b1aca9bca13.png

image.thumb.png.94ad3c9fa8e9c1a2c1fd3918b1ad41d5.png

Hi Diane, Just to rule out some weird filing situation, have you selected the "Archives Folder" path and followed the "Show in Folder" option? If there is some discrepancy, that would show it up. 

9 minutes ago, DG1949 said:

Hi Diane, Just to rule out some weird filing situation, have you selected the "Archives Folder" path and followed the "Show in Folder" option? If there is some discrepancy, that would show it up. 

Yep, followed the path and it went to the same data with only 2 files.  I double checked other x15 work and it is doing the same.  

I would ask Tech. Support , but it might be a Permissions Issue with Windows if you are User of the Laptop but not the Owner of it ( ie it's a Work Laptop) as your Name is not in the Folder List above ...it just says Owner instead, so Windows may not be letting you (Chief) to write Files to the Documents Folder or Chief Data Folder etc. 

Can you Manually save a Chief or other Files into the Archive folder? no error messages?

M.

14 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I would ask Tech. Support , but it might be a Permissions Issue with Windows if you are User of the Laptop but not the Owner of it ( ie it's a Work Laptop) as your Name is not in the Folder List above ...it just says Owner instead, so Windows may not be letting you (Chief) to write Files to the Documents Folder or Chief Data Folder etc. 

Can you Manually save a Chief or other Files into the Archive folder? no error messages?

M.

Mick, I done a few saves once I found the issue and they show up in the archive folder fine. Here a picture. 

image.thumb.png.b79b93d1b46b999034767f7c398b655c.png

image.png

10 hours ago, misterwiley said:

Make sure you aren't running out of hard drive space. That can sometimes cause strange things to happen.

Kyle, I think I have plenty available space.   Thank you for trying to help me.

image.png.e403d2db14d9a5031d5a4320a6c70e61.png

5 hours ago, DianeP said:

Mick, I done a few saves once I found the issue and they show up in the archive folder fine. Here a picture. 

image.thumb.png.b79b93d1b46b999034767f7c398b655c.png

image.png

Ok, good I don't think it is a Permissions Issue then if you can save a file Manually, I would followup with Tech. Support tomorrow for more insight on this - please let us know the outcome.

My Settings in Preferences look to be the same as yours and as you can see I have multiple Archives from from Friday , I am not sure but I think Joe's post must actually refer to Auto Saves and not Auto Archives ( documentation boo-boo? )  looking in My Archive Folder.

image.thumb.png.ff02e14053e13a1bb8b65e79e20b022b.png   image.thumb.png.6e7dbb73a78b63c9b0e5cd88e0b90b63.png

I think Joe nailed it, albeit perhaps he wasn't entirely clear.

On 1/7/2024 at 11:13 AM, Kbird1 said:

I am not sure but I think Joe's post must actually refer to Auto Saves and not Auto Archives ( documentation boo-boo? )

Documentation is accurate, "Every time a file is saved, the current archive file is overwritten.", meaning that it will overwrite the current archive on an hourly or daily basis, or "previous save" will save a new one every time you save. So Diane has it set to Archive Hourly, but if she's only hit the Save button once, she'll have an up to date Auto Save but a very old Archive.

Note the Time Stamps on her first screenshot:

image.png.6f5a1f2352e437e9322d5b7a373da7a6.png

The point joe was making though was:

On 1/7/2024 at 6:23 AM, Joe_Carrick said:

If you want extra backups you have to save manually, then there's a history.

There's a BIG distinction between Auto Save and Auto Archive. Auto Save happens automatically, every x minutes, and always overwrites a single "auto_save" file, where Auto Archive history will only be built as long as you're manually pressing Save. If you're working on a file for several DAYS, I hope you've been hitting Save here n' there. If not, then Auto Save is your only parachute in case of catastrophe. Not ideal, but at least it's something.