drywall showing on exterior railing framing

Larry_Sweeney

I have three railing walls exactly the same. One shows drywall on the framing and the other two don't. What determines if the drywall shows or not? I've looked at all the specifications dbx. on all three walls and everything looks the same. What am I missing? Thanks ahead for taking time for the help.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 154212.jpg

31 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I have three railing walls exactly the same. One shows drywall on the framing and the other two don't. What determines if the drywall shows or not? I've looked at all the specifications dbx. on all three walls and everything looks the same. What am I missing? Thanks ahead for taking time for the help.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 154212.jpg

Just guessing since no plan file to examine, but check the railing walls' Exterior and Interior orientation. Perhaps the railing showing drywall has the Interior side facing out, and needs reversed?

Also, I would not have a Drywall layer as part of a railing wall, but that's just me.

Chris................"Orientations" are all the same on all three railing walls shown. As for the drywall material, I just "grabbed" the "interior railing" wall type and used it. I've used it many times for exterior decks and up to now the drywall never showed. I have six railing walls making up this deck and the one I show is the only one with drywall showing. ;) I thought maybe I was missing something simple that makes it show or not. There are times when railing walls are a "three coffee cup" ordeal for me. I got the "jitters" now! Thanks for the reply. Have a great day.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:31 PM, Larry_Sweeney said:

I just "grabbed" the "interior railing" wall type and used it. I've used it many times for exterior decks and up to now the drywall never showed.

The simple fix is likely to change the Walltypes of them all to the Deck/Fence Walltype, which the Straight Deck Railing Tool uses automatically ( and does not include Drywall) like the Straight (interior) Railing Tool.......  and use the Deck tools for deck going forward....

* One other possibility is that your Deck Room is not specified as a deck , that can make the Drywall show too...

Straight Deck Railing.........

image.thumb.png.63cef7fc1cc5cc8c4d2849dc8a96f83f.png     

vs Straight (interior) railing

image.thumb.png.2d8190c8100acf542513e05d7be93583.png

M.