pocket door hardware question

rlangman

When a pocket door is used in a plan, and the information is populated into the door schedule, is there a way to account for the 4.5" at the top where the hardware is hidden in the wall above the door?  The header height currently appears the same as all the other interior doors, and does not seem to account for this.  The schedule does get the width of the pocket door opening correct (twice the width of the door panel).

Is there a reason Chief does not include this information?

Is there a way I could adjust my defaults so that this information is included on pocket doors in the future?

I have a client who is self-building, and although I explained that my plans are not an instruction manual for building (I'm an interior designer, not an architect or engineer), and my standard disclaimer says "door schedule is for planning only - refer to manufacturer specs for all installation instructions".  However this client went and put the header at the height listed in the schedule and is now shocked that he has to reframe, when he bought his doors weeks after the framing began.  He's wondering why "my software didn't account for that".  His framers don't seem all that experienced either.

Were his framers his inlaws?

In the door spec dialog, one can open the rough opening tab, and specify top and side clearance, but Chief does not permit you to do what is needed for installation of a pocket door kit.  Commonly used kits will say you need an R.O. width equal to twice nominal door width plus 2 inches, or something like that, and about what you said for height.

But having learned your lesson, maybe it should be you that writes up a clearly written suggestion in the Suggestions subsection of Chieftalk, in which you lay out the case for specifying rough opening clearances separately for each side of an opening.  Use the terms "latch side" and "opening side."

3 hours ago, rlangman said:

However this client went and put the header at the height listed in the schedule

I typically do not include window and door rough opening dimensions and leave it up to the builder / framer to figure it out.  I do this to avoid issues just like the one you described.  It's just too easy to make an error and besides, they should be expected to do the calculations.

This is not exactly the answer to your question, but it's food for thought for your future projects.

Jim

13 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

I typically do not include window and door rough opening dimensions and leave it up to the builder / framer to figure it out.  I do this to avoid issues just like the one you described.  It's just too easy to make an error and besides, they should be expected to do the calculations.

This is not exactly the answer to your question, but it's food for thought for your future projects.

Jim

Typically I do the same and would say here that the Framers should of known better, and it's possible any Bifolds Framed currently need checking too.

M.

For the sake of a set of plans, it may be more sensible to include a list of RO spec's in a set of notes. But yes, you can set up the defaults in Chief to frame pocket doors correctly.

I don't know the usual RO's in your region, but a general note might look something like this:

• BIFOLD DOORS: WIDTH + 1 1/2" / HEIGHT + 1 1/2"
• POCKET DOORS: (WIDTH x 2) + 1" / HEIGHT + 4 1/2"

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 9:07 AM, robdyck said:

And most importantly, include a disclaimer note that all RO's need to be confirmed with manufacturer or supplier specifications where applicable.

I absolutely do this, which I what I told my client.  I also have a disclaimer in my general notes that the contractor is responsible for all means, methods, and schedule of installation -  meaning the contractor needs to know to have the pocket door frame on site during framing (with the necessary manufacturer spec sheets for installation).