Plan Materials

RobUSMC

Go to solution Solved by RobUSMC,

9 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

When working in a plan, is there a way to view all the materials currently in the plan?

image.thumb.png.3e1f2061305d03fcc29def52863400fa.png

Good idea to check this every now and then. Purge what is there not in use, merge duplicates (I usually replace if after merging)

Great Thanks... On that same note.  If I have a material in a plan that I don't know what its being used for is there a way to see where or what that material is being used on?

9 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Great Thanks... On that same note.  If I have a material in a plan that I don't know what its being used for is there a way to see where or what that material is being used on?

Unfortunately, no. There's no "Find in plan" sort of tool for materials - what I do if it's used and can't be purged and I have no idea where it is, is to Edit it, go to Texture, and under Material Color enable Blend with Texture and set it bright Red. Then scope around the plan. Floor Overviews are handy. Go find that bright red color, then use Material Painter in Plan scope to replace it with something you actually want. Since Plan scope replaces is everywhere it exists, you'll immediately be able to purge it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Unfortunately, no. There's no "Find in plan" sort of tool for materials - what I do if it's used and can't be purged and I have no idea where it is, is to Edit it, go to Texture, and under Material Color enable Blend with Texture and set it bright Red. Then scope around the plan. Floor Overviews are handy. Go find that bright red color, then use Material Painter in Plan scope to replace it with something you actually want. Since Plan scope replaces is everywhere it exists, you'll immediately be able to purge it.

Nice! Was just trying to delete some rascally renegade materials yesterday. Great idea! 

(I was tempted to give you a reddie for that, I know how much you like em... but you get a blue heart instead :P)

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Nice! Was just trying to delete some rascally renegade materials yesterday. Great idea! 

(I was tempted to give you a reddie for that, I know how much you like em... but you get a blue heart instead :P)

lol I do prefer blue as a general color preference so I appreciate it.

Joe's Materials List suggestion isn't a bad idea either, consider it, well, lists materials. It just means scrolling through a potentially big list instead of visually identifying it. Whatever works!

If I open my template whether its a blank plan for I have drawn 4 walls to create a closed room, I have materials in the list that I cant get rid of and I know they are not in the plan such as some old tile.  I have window glass in the list but there are no windows in the plan... Just an empty room with for walls

33 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

I have materials in the list that I cant get rid of and I know they are not in the plan

That's absolutely correct, Plan Materials are materials that are "in use".
 anywhere in the plan.

Think of it like Layers. There are lots you can't delete, even if there's nothing on them - because some Default somewhere is set to use it.

Check under Default Settings, Materials, then ... well, go through all your defaults, I suppose.

Default materials is where it gets trickier, for sure.

Is there a reason what if you use the same material several times like color white for doors, moldings, and whatever else it can show multiple times in the plan material list.  No a huge thing as I just multi select those same material and merge.  Just curious

On 6/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, RobUSMC said:

I have materials in the list that I cant get rid of

Chief has 30-40 Materials in every Plan, even a Brand new "empty" one , as they are set as "Defaults"   for example, Ceilings , Floors, Drywall etc but there are also materials assigned to things like Skylights , Windows, Doors , Appliances, Cabinets, Cabinet Hardware, Countertops, 3D Solids etc etc....

Mick.

I think this tends to happen more for common materials, things like, "color - white" etc., because you can find them in different catalogs. I think they're literally different versions of the same material. That's why I always check Plan Materials first, over adding from the Library.