Hi, everybody :)

I would like to know how you edit symbols or CAD blocks.

I don’t have much experience creating my own objects so I usually download them from pages like 3D Warehouse.:rolleyes:

Most of the times I need to make changes or remove elements included in these objects so I just load the symbol, go to Edit CAD block and try to modify what I need in the CAD Block window.

When the object is ready, I just add it to the library, but when I try to reload again the symbol previously created I can’t see it in the 3D view.:unsure:

I’m sure I’m missing some steps or, probably, I can’t understand how symbols work.

Many thanks for the help! :)

Untitled 1.jpg

3D Symbols can only be edited within the Symbol dbx (little chair) and the things you can do there are limited.  

You can use the "Delete Surface Tool" in a 3D Perspective View (nothing else in the plan) to get rid of some things you don't want.  But then you need to create a new Symbol from what you modified.

Symbols are not the same as the CAD Block.  That's just the plan view representation of the 3D Symbol.  You can modify the CAD Block but you need to assign the modified CAD Block to the Symbol.  It's then still the Symbol that you need to place in the model, not the 2D CAD Block which wiil be placed in the model along with the Symbol.

Study the Symbol dbx - and the "Create Symbol" tool in Chief to learn the ins and outs of Symbols.  I don't know if there are any good videos but you might try looking for them on Chief's Website.

• Like 1

That's not a very easy question to answer because making your own symbols can either be very easy or very hard depending on what type of symbol you are trying to build.  

In simplest terms, a symbol is just a collection of 3D surfaces that will show in a camera view, a collection of 2D cad that will display in a plan view, and some other settings that help control how it works in Chief.

The 2D cad may or may not represent the 3D surfaces.  Think about an electrical switch.  What you see in plan view has very little to do with what the 3D surfaces look like in a camera view.  So editing the cad block for a symbol, or replacing it with a different cad block, won't really have any affect on what it looks like in a camera view.

To build your own symbols with the 3D surfaces you want, you can use any tool or combination of tools in Chief that creates 3D surfaces.  Poly solids, moldings, and other shapes can be very helpful.  One of my favorite tools that a lot of people don't think about is cabinets.  Cabinets can really be considered a building block tool and many things can be created using cabinet components as a starting point.

Here is a tech article that has some good general info (and it includes links to some other related articles):

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00761/modeling-custom-3d-objects.html

There is also a lot of good info on the symbols forum (which is also a good place to go for how to and free stuff):

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/9-symbols-and-content/

Be careful though because trying to design the perfect symbol can really be a massive time sink.  Don't underestimate how valuable an existing symbol that is "close enough" really is.

• Upvote 1

3D Warehouse Symbols are best edited in SketchUp, ( or other software that can open .skp files), many come with "extras" you don't want or need , but editing the Chief CAD Block does not remove those Items unfortunately.

Some Homework :)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00805/editing-2d-cad-blocks-assigned-to-3d-symbols.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00809/converting-an-object-into-a-symbol.html

Not sure but Eric may have a Video on  using the Surface Delete Tool ?       Eric ? @solver

M.

12 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

You can use the "Delete Surface Tool" in a 3D Perspective View (nothing else in the plan) to get rid of some things you don't want.  But then you need to create a new Symbol from what you modified.

Hi, Joe!:) I have managed to use the "Delete Surface Tool" and it worked for what I wanted to do (just delete).:rolleyes: I didn't know what this tool was for. The create new Symbol worked aswel so I guess I have something done in my list of learnings.:D

11 hours ago, DBCooper said:

To build your own symbols with the 3D surfaces you want, you can use any tool or combination of tools in Chief that creates 3D surfaces.  Poly solids, moldings, and other shapes can be very helpful.  One of my favorite tools that a lot of people don't think about is cabinets.  Cabinets can really be considered a building block tool and many things can be created using cabinet components as a starting point.

Be careful though because trying to design the perfect symbol can really be a massive time sink.  Don't underestimate how valuable an existing symbol that is "close enough" really is.

Hi, DBCooper! :) The tool I use more is the polyline square or box, or just the triangle shape. What I can do for the moment is reall simple: some moldings or figures to fill spaces; not much. I can't think about makind a perfect symbol. It's impossible for the moment!:unsure: I try to use symbols from the library, change textures and so on.

7 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Not sure but Eric may have a Video on  using the Surface Delete Tool ?       Eric ? @solver

Hi, Mick!:lol: It would be really welcome! I'm working with the basic knowledge now. :rolleyes:

* By the way: Very interesting the use of the soffit. I'll make some tries in the future :D

Edited by marlem2000
I forgot!

37 minutes ago, robdyck said:

@marlem2000For symbols that are downloaded from 3d Warehouse and then need to be edited, it can be helpful to edit them in Sketchup and then save, download and import that new edited version of the symbol.

Which means you'll need to subscribe to Sketchup, with the Pro version going for $299 per year.  Might be worth it if you are going to use 3D Warehouse symbols at the rate of two or three a month.

I have the free version Sketchup Make 2017, which is desktop, and no longer available.  None of what I can download from the 3D Warehouse will open with my 2017, but I can scratch-build all I want, and am proficient enough with it to make furniture and fixtures.

5 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Which means you'll need to subscribe to Sketchup, with the Pro version going for $299 per year.  Might be worth it if you are going to use 3D Warehouse symbols at the rate of two or three a month.

In my case, it is not worth since I don't work professionally with Chief Architect. I just make my own designs as a way to relax.:unsure:

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

Or one could simply use the free online version.

https://www.sketchup.com/try-sketchup#for-personal

I think that's the best option for me. I'm not planning to build anything serious with symbols; just replacing some textures or remove some elements that I don't need.:)