RTX 4000 LAG

PKBchief

I am the IT Vendor for client running CA Premier X14.   

The client is having significant issues with lag on draws & I have included their description below.  I have not seen this issue on the level of hardware that we have with other design programs.  I don't specialize in graphics applications but have supported systems running everything from autocad to SolidWorks.  

Here is the clients input and below is the hardware/driver specs for the laptops.  We have 2 staff running the same configuration and having the same issues.

When working in either Layout or Plan files everything runs very slow/lag. Mouse pointer skips over what I want to click on bc of the lag. when zooming in or out there is a lag and the CAD boxes flash with an X. I have minimal tabs open and only the necessary layers turned on. 

Here is the hardware information

i9-10885h

64GB ram

wIN 10 PRO - 64 / vERSION 21h2

os bUILD / 19044.1756

Experience  / Windows Experience Pack 120.2212.4810.0

Thinkpad P15

NVidia Quadro RTX 4000 w/Max-Q Design

Windows Driver Version 31.0.15.1625

NVidia Version / 516.25

The client also provided a file with further details.  Apologies if I am not following proper protocol on this as a 1st time poster.  Client is losing massive production time with these issues.

Mike Fitzgerald - Mfitzgerald@RTFComputing.Com / 704-934-2580

Client contact / Adam Robinson / adam.robinson@pkbuilders.com / 704-449-0089

ABR SYSTEM INFORMATION.txt

2 minutes ago, PKBchief said:

Client is losing massive production time with these issues.

Many of us are! Personally, after my visits with Tech Support, and my experience with Chief X13, I think it's some type of compatibility problem between Nvidia and Chief X14.

This same crap happened with X13 and it took quite awhile for a solution. If I remember correctly, Nvidia released a driver update that corrected the performance issues.

I currently still have no performance issues with X13, however X14 is killing my business at the worst possible time. 

The lag gets worse the longer a file is open. Once Chief slows down too much, then I save and close everything and restart. That seems to improves performance for a couple of hours.

31 minutes ago, PKBchief said:

I am the IT Vendor for client running CA Premier X14.   

The client is having significant issues with lag on draws & I have included their description below.  I have not seen this issue on the level of hardware that we have with other design programs.  I don't specialize in graphics applications but have supported systems running everything from autocad to SolidWorks.  

Here is the clients input and below is the hardware/driver specs for the laptops.  We have 2 staff running the same configuration and having the same issues.

When working in either Layout or Plan files everything runs very slow/lag. Mouse pointer skips over what I want to click on bc of the lag. when zooming in or out there is a lag and the CAD boxes flash with an X. I have minimal tabs open and only the necessary layers turned on. 

Here is the hardware information

i9-10885h

64GB ram

wIN 10 PRO - 64 / vERSION 21h2

os bUILD / 19044.1756

Experience  / Windows Experience Pack 120.2212.4810.0

Thinkpad P15

NVidia Quadro RTX 4000 w/Max-Q Design

Windows Driver Version 31.0.15.1625

NVidia Version / 516.25

The client also provided a file with further details.  Apologies if I am not following proper protocol on this as a 1st time poster.  Client is losing massive production time with these issues.

Mike Fitzgerald - Mfitzgerald@RTFComputing.Com / 704-934-2580

Client contact / Adam Robinson / adam.robinson@pkbuilders.com / 704-449-0089

ABR SYSTEM INFORMATION.txt 842.71 kB · 1 download

Have the client try using a fresh chief template plan and layout.  Most of the issues is older files brought forth that has different settings that are affected by new version refinements or new tools.  Not always the case but it is generally recommended to start a new template file for each version release.

Thanks for the input, feed back from the client.

@robdyckThey still handle older drawings in CA 13 but not viable because of newer features in 14 for complex drawings to roll everything back.

@rgardner  They have tried using new templates for old drawings, still have lag issues.   Even drawings started from scratch have issues in CA14

Largest file size is 34mb, average file size is about 30mb.   Lag issues are also increasing with old files in CA 13 with it worsening the longer the application is open.

28 minutes ago, PKBchief said:

They have tried using new templates for old drawings, still have lag issues.   Even drawings started from scratch have issues in CA14

I do question this a little bit due to this happening quite often and it usually being the same issue.  And honestly many users do not understand this concept.  What I was trying to mention (this may be what they are doing already) is that they use an OOB Chief residential template that "shipped" with X14 and try to use that file to see if that is the issue.  Many have older template files and bring them forward versions and it CAN cause issues (not always) with conflicts with the new tools and cause chief to slow down..  So even if they start a new drawing if the template file they start with is from an older version it can cause this issue.  It has to do with the default settings they have set maybe conflicting with for example a new feature of the dimensioning tool.

Have you already tried our support knowledge base?  We have a couple of articles specifically about dealing with performance issues:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00521/troubleshooting-slowness-in-chief-architect-plans.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00521/troubleshooting-slowness-in-chief-architect-plans.html#3DSlowness

If these don't help you, I would highly recommend that you contact our technical support team for additional help:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

Just as an FYI, this is user forum and probably not the best place to get help with these kinds of specific system related problems.

Just in case (likely one thing TS would suggest) if not already done.

Since it is a laptop make sure that all Chief executable files for 14 are set to high performance in Windows Graphic settings. Was not connected to extra monitors.

I just tested a few files on my laptop which has a 2070S (comparable to the RTX 4000). I had two plans, one layout, two elevations, and two renderings (one PBR RT, other standard) open. Layout and one file were originally X13 (plan 33MB) other was 14 but only 13 MB. Tested all views- Opened DBXs, adjusted some things, moved some, manipulated cameras

Usable just not snappy which is about what I'd expect. The smaller file was a tad faster.

In the end do what Dermot said :)

@MarkMc

They do have multiple monitors running both direct connect and preferred setup of dual 4k docking station.   Regardless of configuration still seems to make no difference how external displays are connected - no difference even just using the laptop solo.  I am thinking that there are some default settings that need to be changed but not sure where.

@Dermot I understand this is a user forum but client has had no luck in getting a resolution directly from Chief Support.  As an IT Professional I have found user forums to be a viable source of information that often isn't provided by support.   Apologies again if this is not the proper format but my client is losing time and money running a hardware platform that far exceeds the minimum specs for your software.

8 minutes ago, PKBchief said:

there are some default settings that need to be changed

Only one I know of is keep automatic framing off. IF using PBRRT (RTRT) I check cap live samples.

Biggest culprit on lappies is the Win Graphic settings which overrides Nvidia Control center nowadays.

Odd that there is no difference running two 4K monitors but then I've had laptops that only used the onboard Intel card for external monitors makes me wonder.

10 minutes ago, PKBchief said:

running a hardware platform that far exceeds the minimum specs for your software.

Yes but well below the recommended 3070/3080 (now Robert running a 3080 is an idunno)

Has any monitoring software been used while it's running to check heat etc. (besides Windows built in which I don't find useful)

From my reading the RTX 4000 MaxQ is only about the same performance as Mark's ( hi ) and my own 2070S Laptops, and my experience is about the same as Mark's, I'd rather work on my Desktop when able but still okay generally.

PDFs, saved in Plan, hidden or not can also slow things down as can Materials with LOTS of Patterns lines , or anything with a ton of CAD work , for example a Cad DWG file imported to Trace over , it maybe this , as it usually is apparent when zooming in and out and Seeing X's over CAD Boxes etc.

Chief for a number of years, has tended to act "weird" if used for long periods ( memory leak? ) so I find it best to close down and reboot at lunch break for example. 

There are Threads here on the Forum related to Slowness in Plans , specific Plans and in general.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/34172-real-time-ray-tracing-questionsproblemssolutions/?do=findComment&comment=267168

Mick.

The company I do full-time work for has similar issues.  WE ended up breaking down and buying a new laptop for everyone who's laptop was older than 5 years.

At first we thought it was our virus protection.  At the same time we upgraded to X14, we also switched to McAfee.  Chief has stated they have had issues with McAfee and their software with past version; so I'm suspicious this may be the case with X14.  Every time the software goes to ideal for some folks it will freeze but not go unresponsive.  We think it has something to do with the time tracker, so we switched it off on some PC's.   Unfortunately and fortunately, we received the new PCs so I'm unsure if the freezing ever got resolved.

When we uninstalled McAfee and let Microsoft defender take over, defender considered Chief a threat of ransomware.

Perhaps your antivirus is doing the same thing?  Try adding it to your 'white list' of software you trust and see if the lag goes away.

Personally, X14 is a bit of a mess for me.  I'm finding new irritations every week... so I'm hoping there is a patch soon.