Chief Crashing at Standard Render on New Alienware X17 R2 Laptop

kwhitt

I purchased a laptop recently to keep working while I travel.  Well, here I am at the beach on the first day using it and every time I employ the camera tool to look around in 3D space, Chief crashes.  I am able to reproduce the problem 100% of the time.  The file was started in Windows 10 on my workstation.  The laptop is Windows 11 – not sure if that matters.

The specs on the new laptop are below in my signature.  The error generated is shown in the first attachment.  The DirectX Diagnostic panel is in the second attachment.

The specific error states “Device Removed” and refers to a location on C: drive.  Anyone got any ideas? 

I thought I’d try the forum first before calling Chief.

Thanks, Kevin

Error.jpg

DirectX Diagnostic Dialog.jpg

I have read through this entire thread and tried the suggestions with no luck.  I just opened a ticket with Support.  Hopefully, they can provide a fix as I'm stuck with this laptop for a week and piles of work.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

Have you added Chief Architect in the Nvidia control panel?

image.thumb.png.9ea72810ffd469b9b79894f27c2bee68.png

Alan - yes, it was the first thing I tried after seeing your post in the BIG thread dealing with this issue.

58 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

If I was on vacation at the beach, I would consider this a blessing.

Chris - LOL!  You'd think so, but unfortunately I've got too much to do.  At least I can see the ocean from my desk!

3 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

They are going to ask you to make sure you have the latest video driver so you might as well go to nvidia and do that if you haven't already.   Also verify if the issue occurs when you have the laptop plugged into power or not.

I had already updated to the latest driver and tried the older gaming one recommended elsewhere.  I just now tried unplugging the power supply - no luck.  I just sent in the System Info and Chief Message Log.  Hopefully, they are able to come up with something...

every computer I have ever got from Alienware (6) has needed windows and Alienware updates every time, also to turn off Nahimic services. You may have already done this though. I recently got a new computer with a dead ssd drive but they came to me and fixed it.

3 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

every computer I have ever got from Alienware (6) has needed windows and Alienware updates every time, also to turn off Nahimic services. You may have already done this though. I recently got a new computer with a dead ssd drive but they came to me and fixed it.

Hey Perry.  Everything is updated including the driver.  I looked for Nahimic services as you recommended in the other thread and could not even find it installed on my machine.

1 minute ago, kwhitt said:

Hey Perry.  Everything is updated including the driver.  I looked for Nahimic services as you recommended in the other thread and could not even find it installed on my machine.

did you check in the task manager under services? if its there , you, need to turn it off perinatally from computer management . 

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully they have a quick answer for you.   

Things support will often ask just so you are ready -   Go ahead and wait for their response before doing anything - this is just a prep list so you are ready.

Are you using any remote software that isn't part of windows such as VNC or teamviewer as they have virtual video  and while you may not be using them they may be loaded.

Are you using any firwall product - e.g. kapersky.   Also some VPN products have them built in such as sophos.  (Not likely to be the issue but they often ask)

Your computer may have come with McAffee preinstalled - I just remove it - regardless of CA :)   Defender isn't perfect but a stick in the eye still beats McAffee IMHO - malwarebytes is pretty good.

They may ask you to go to MSCONFIG go to services and disable all - when you reboot and go back to msconfig don't worry you can enable all and it will only leave the ones running that need to be.

42 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

did you check in the task manager under services? if its there , you, need to turn it off perinatally from computer management . 

Evidently they don't use the name Nahimic in the newer versions.  Working with tech support I disabled the following:

Alienware Client Management Services

Alienware Digital Delivery Services

Alienware SupportAsssist Remediation

6 minutes ago, bdillard1 said:

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully they have a quick answer for you.   

Things support will often ask just so you are ready -   Go ahead and wait for their response before doing anything - this is just a prep list so you are ready.

Are you using any remote software that isn't part of windows such as VNC or teamviewer as they have virtual video  and while you may not be using them they may be loaded.

Are you using any firwall product - e.g. kapersky.   Also some VPN products have them built in such as sophos.  (Not likely to be the issue but they often ask)

Your computer may have come with McAffee preinstalled - I just remove it - regardless of CA :)   Defender isn't perfect but a stick in the eye still beats McAffee IMHO - malwarebytes is pretty good.

They may ask you to go to MSCONFIG go to services and disable all - when you reboot and go back to msconfig don't worry you can enable all and it will only leave the ones running that need to be.

Thanks.  I've been through many of these with tech support already.  I am sending the Chief file next.  I do use Splashtop Business for remote computer access (like Teamviewer, but much more affordable).  I'll disable the streamer which runs in the background and see if that helps.  I'd never use McAffee or Norton!

7 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Evidently they don't use the name Nahimic in the newer versions.  Working with tech support I disabled the following:

my system is only 2 months old and I have it.

6 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

my system is only 2 months old and I have it.

Don't know.  Mine's a week old and I don't have it.  Do any of these three show up under services?

Posting the file here may help - not that people saying I can open it without problem is ever helpful but someone else having the issue is helpful.

Some people say certain monitors cause problems - not sure if you have any attached or not.   I'd also suggest if you have a scanner or printer attached try disconnecting them - normally this isn't a concern but just ideas.   Also any attached storage that isn't inside the laptop even a usb thumb drive.

I'm only posting suggestions as you want to get this resolved as quickly as possible so I'm pulling out all the last ditch efforts.

November I had to work remotely in Argentina. I was taking an out of the box AlienwareX15 with a 3070. It came with 10 and I loaded 11 a day or 2 before leaving. Once I load 11 I started getting crashes about a device you get. At the time there was nothing in this forum and the RTX forums at all. Once I was there I loaded up Autocad and Lumion as well. The crashes got worse and worse I was afraid it was a bad laptop. Since I didn't have the problem in 10 I backed up and did 10 install factory reset and reload all drivers etc. I had zero problems after this. The problem is in Windows 11. 

This probably doesn't help you and its a pain in the ass to do while on vacation but if you can do a factory install with 10 you should solve the problem.

BDillard and I are from the same field, but I doubt you took a monitor or printer on vacation.

Do you know how to read your event viewer logs?
Click your START flag (button) and start typing EVENT, choose the prompt and open Event Viewer.
1052068570_2022-03-1811_04_59-Calculator.thumb.jpg.59b168001981f138d9eeee22487052ca.jpg

Then click on APPLICATION and look for any Red Exclamation points.  You may have multiple, find one associated with CA crashing, or your video card crashing.  They will have associated Event IDs that you can Google for resolution
1023725980_2022-03-1810_57_28-Window.jpg.19a533bc4332b06a8cb7f383b3d9ab28.jpg

After Application, do the same thing for SYSTEM.  Look for the same Red Exclamation points.  Do the same as Application.
616023538_2022-03-1810_58_11-Window.jpg.caa36e6ac77c864322ea4eca68953835.jpg
Lastly, run your Dell\Alienware SupporAssist and then check for hardware drivers.  These are specific to your actual laptop.  It will find outdated drivers and even BIOS updates you need.  Latest, greatest from nVidia or other vendors might not always be best.  You may even have to step down or backwards from nVidias latest to Dell\Alienwares recommended.
Hope this helps
JSnell

The Latest Nvidia Drivers ( 511.79) where supposed to fix this issue on Win 11 ? but I guess not?

The Nahimic Issue has been around for some time and a known incompatibility, but is usually related to Multi-Monitor setups or outputting

a laptop to a Larger Monitor , had that issue myself and uninstalling Sonic Radar ( from Nahimic) fixed that issue.

@bdillard1

@MarckusW

@65Shelby

@Kbird1

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  I don't have confirmation yet, but I may have had a corrupt file.  I found another job I had with me that loaded just fine.  I've sent the problem file to support in the hopes that it can be recovered (if that's the problem),  Fingers crossed that it's just this particular file as I don't have an older version with me and can't get to one until Monday.

13 minutes ago, 65Shelby said:

KWhitt, would you like one of us to upload a PLAN file to you just for further troubleshooting?  I can PM you a Dropbox link on one.
JSnell

I would greatly appreciate that. Please send me a link.  Thanks!