simonas

the HD vid's could be good to watch

as the HD products (except PRO) can only do auto-roofs

there are 24+ roof styles that can be done with the auto-roofs

my intermediate Chief instructor claimed that "any" roof could be done auto

CA recommends starting with auto then switch to manual if needed

Lew

well, I don't have roof skills

but he did show us an insane asylum circa 1890's with a massive set of roofs and turrets etc etc etc

and it was all done with auto roofs

if you check CA's tutorials 24+ roof styles can be done via auto-roofs

some of them fairly complicated

I would never say that any roof can be auto only

but I think auto-roofs are discredited too much

Lew

I start with auto roofs and go manual as needed.  Crickets for me are always manual.  I set up lots of my roof planes with the wall dbx > roof tab.  For energy heels, I have created a cheat sheet for the various roof member dimensions and roof pitches (to get the "vertical rafter depths"), then it is easy to figure out how much I need to raise the roof to get it where I want it.  Once a roof is built and needs some editing, I open up a 3D full overview and put it on my 2nd monitor so I can watch and see how things are snapping together.  Any more, lots of editing can be done right in the 3D view as opposed to working in plan views. 

When I 1st started with Chief (v7), I was a little intimidated by roofs.  A training session with Mont Stephenson at CA's office in Cd'A broke the ice for me and other than a few specialty roofs (turrets, etc.), I have been able to conquer all the roofs required for my projects.  Practice and experimentation and paying attention to how changes in the dbx settings affect a roof plane are key to understanding how Chief roof's work and behave.  There are still a few things that aren't perfect with Chief roofs and/or roof framing, but generally, it is possible to do almost everything needed ... at least for the jobs I have worked on this is the case.

Curt

Would you be willing to share your cheat sheet? I am just starting to use Chief as my main drafting program and doing the roof structure for our area is one of my main problems. Energy heels are a must when it is -32 C.

Sherry:

Here's the cheat sheet ... nothing too fancy at this point ... someday I may put it into a spreadsheet so it looks pretty.

post-191-0-44777100-1420475703_thumb.jpg

In the event you don't know how to use this information for energy heels, here's a little more information that will help you.  If you already have this figured out, maybe it will help someone else.

post-191-0-96630300-1420476687_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-63355400-1420476729_thumb.jpg     post-191-0-84983500-1420476779_thumb.jpg

In this example, my truss has 2x4 top and bottom chords.  The roof is 6:12 pitch.  The vertical rafter depth for a 2x4 is 3-15/16" (per the roof plane spec dbx and as shown on my cheat sheet).  In the Build Roof Specification dbx I have shown that I need to raise the truss top chord 8-1/16" to give me the desired 12" total energy heel height at the outside edge of the wall. 

It is up to the designer/architect to determine what energy heel height is appropriate/required for a given project.  For climate zones requiring lots of heating, an energy heel is often necessary to achieve a full depth of ceiling insulation at the roof-wall connections.  Obviously there are many ways to insulate a ceiling/roof so roof design (including a requirement for energy heels) is driven by the overall building design needs.

Hi hope you don't mind Curt I took the liberty of making a Word Doc/PDF out of your info for myself but I figured others might be able to use it too , (cheat sheet and images) so here it is

Curt's Energy Heel Info.pdf

This KB Tutorial came out in Nov. too Sherry

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00032/275/Chief-Architect/Framing/Trusses/Creating-an-Energy-Heel-Truss.html

Mick

Thanks everyone for all the info. It will be a great help as I go through the pain of changing over to Chief. My first project is well on its way and no major bumps so far. All the training videos have helped tremendously.