Labeling Electrical Circuits

ACAaron

I'm looking for an easier method to label my electrical circuits.  I currently, I insert all my receps, switches, lights, etc. run all my calcs that create my panel.  To label the circuits, I then copy and paste the number to each recep, switch and fixtures.  See the attached screen shot for what end goal is.  The issues I'm having are:

• It's time consuming to copy/paste each label, then go back and change an entire room to the same number, etc. etc. etc.
  • If have to change a circuit later, changing all the labels is cumbersome
  • And most importantly, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and getting all the labels to set in the exact same place in relation to the fixture is an issue (The screen shot attached drives me nuts due lack of symmetry)

Does anybody have a better solution that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Elec Labels.jpg

• ACAaron changed the title to Labeling Electrical Circuits

I don't mean to be critical.  Just take this as a suggestion.

I've been an electrical contractor since 1985.  The only jobs I see with circuits layed-out are commercial and industrial.

If this were my electrical job, I'd look at the drawings and then do it my way because I have to pass inspection.  You may be able to save time by trusting the electrician to make decisions.

Notes on dedicated circuits are probably all you need.  Of course this is your client so please don't feel offended.

One thing I would change is the code violation in the dining room.  Dining room outlets must be 12/2, 20 amp, on a dedicated Arc Fault protected circuit.

The light fixtures would be 14/2, 15 amp, on a different Arc Fault protected circuit.

I'm assuming the Outlet at the kitchen sink #51 is inside the cabinet and for the dishwasher.  Dishwashers must be dedicated Arch Fault/Ground Fault. They are not permitted to be direct wired.  Dishwashers must be cord connected and plug in under the sink.  The Outlet is not permitted behind the dishwasher. Same is true with the disposal.   Disposal must be dedicated Arch Fault/Ground Fault.  The same is true for the refrigerator and microwave.

All kitchen counter outlets must also be Arch Fault/Ground Fault.

• Upvote 1

Aaron,

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but...I agree with Greg. As a contractor for 30 years I have found that the the electrical design has to be adjusted as soon as the wall & ceiling finish is removed. It is easy to make ceiling lights symmetrical on a plan, but quite another story when the electrician is working around framing, HVAC, etc. Also, a good electrician will want to do it his or her own way, and I value their expertise.

I usually provide a design for the permit with notes to allow changes to fit job conditions. This also accounts for last minute changes by the homeowner. We work in some insanely picky jurisdictions and I have never had an inspector say that the light or plugs don't match the plan...as long as it is to code!

As for the circuits, I use a simple line drawing. It keeps the electrical plan cleaner, and satisfies the plan checker. I have attached a fire rebuild of a small cottage. It has enough information and is also simple and easy to read. Again, if the city plan checker is happy, we are all happy.

Steve

Elec sample.jpg

9 hours ago, ACAaron said:

I'm looking for an easier method to label my electrical circuits.  I currently, I insert all my receps, switches, lights, etc. run all my calcs that create my panel.  To label the circuits, I then copy and paste the number to each recep, switch and fixtures.  See the attached screen shot for what end goal is.  The issues I'm having are:

• It's time consuming to copy/paste each label, then go back and change an entire room to the same number, etc. etc. etc.
  • If have to change a circuit later, changing all the labels is cumbersome
  • And most importantly, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and getting all the labels to set in the exact same place in relation to the fixture is an issue (The screen shot attached drives me nuts due lack of symmetry)

Does anybody have a better solution that they wouldn't mind sharing?

29 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Maybe use an electrical schedule?

Another option that might work well for you is a note schedule. You'd still have to copy/paste each note, but it would make quick work of re-numbering if you need to. Copying and pasting can be pretty quick if you use the sticky mode though.

In the screenshots below, you'll notice I left the default 'text above line' label as the %simple_schedule_number% macro. This way, if you re-organize the rows in the schedule, the numbering will automatically change on all the keynotes.

You could make the schedule text (top text box in the dbx) whatever you want and not necessarily the circuit number. I just set this up quickly. You just need to make it something that will differentiate the #1 notes from the #2 notes, etc. 

This method still won't help your OCD with the label placement relative to the fixture though! ;)

image.thumb.png.4520bd990b44f0288cee27c24e997fd3.pngimage.thumb.png.d7f01c28f924af21390e27c52e8785b6.png

• 5 months later...

You can automate electrical circuit numbers and even create a panel schedule automatically by using a combination of custom schedules, custom fields, polyline labels that report to the schedule and room name column in schedule...its a bit advanced to setup but works brilliantly.

The value for electrical schedules shows up when working on advanced Lutron switching systems. The only time I have done detailing on switching was for an electrical contractor who wanted me to make a reflected ceiling plan with the circuit layout. Granted, this was for a very high end job.