Sink Cut-outs (Hole in Countertops) in X13

kwhitt

I've noticed that the countertop holes for sinks don't fill in correctly once the cut-out is made.  This is happening when I create a custom countertop mostly.  Anyone got a workaround for this?  When I first insert the sink, it looks fine, but later I get the gap shown in the image attached.  Thanks...

sink hole.jpg

The Z Origin Offset is set about an inch too low ...the countertop is not at standard height, though I am not sure

if that is the issue as I too am seeing weird things with custom countertops , not at the correct height or even snapping to the ceiling above.

* I am curious about the corner cabinet with two doors though?

image.thumb.png.450d170b379b87189d87a45cc70649bb.png

The Z offset needs to be a negative amount of the height of the sink symbol plus the thickness of the countertop. In this case, the correct amount would be -9 13/16". However, Chief is definitely messing up the cutout in the custom countertop. There is a cutout surface generated but it is at an incorrect height. Copy the cabinet to see the difference of the auto countertop.

I'd send in a bug report.

image.thumb.png.4e5fce105f2a75cdaf43dec0456977c4.pngimage.thumb.png.ab78b0b16bebb14a065f75f72092f42c.png

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:51 AM, Kbird1 said:

The Z Origin Offset is set about an inch too low ...the countertop is not at standard height, though I am not sure

if that is the issue as I too am seeing weird things with custom countertops , not at the correct height or even snapping to the ceiling above.

* I am curious about the corner cabinet with two doors though?

image.thumb.png.450d170b379b87189d87a45cc70649bb.png

Hey Mick.  Thanks for the reply.  I do have the sink symbol with the appropriate Z position - see attached.  It only seems to happen when I create a custom countertop by selecting all the base cabinets first.  I will report this to Tech Support.

The client requested side access to this cabinet for their electrical toothbrush.  I thought it weird too as the fronts access is just as convenient in this case.

SINK dbx.jpg

23 hours ago, robdyck said:

The Z offset needs to be a negative amount of the height of the sink symbol plus the thickness of the countertop. In this case, the correct amount would be -9 13/16". However, Chief is definitely messing up the cutout in the custom countertop. There is a cutout surface generated but it is at an incorrect height. Copy the cabinet to see the difference of the auto countertop.

I'd send in a bug report.

image.thumb.png.4e5fce105f2a75cdaf43dec0456977c4.pngimage.thumb.png.ab78b0b16bebb14a065f75f72092f42c.png

Thanks Rob.  I do have the offset correct as seen in the above post.  I will report this to Chief.

21 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I will report this to Tech Support.

The client requested side access to this cabinet for their electrical toothbrush.  I thought it weird too as the fronts access is just as convenient in this case.

Thanks for reporting, as I too am seeing the weirdness with the Custom Countertops, but I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the issue as yet, I do wonder if it is related to a non standard 36" height , as My client's ManF. has a Standard height of 35 3/4" and it seems sometime the "Get height from Cabinet" toggle does not work properly and when you untoggle it and set it correctly it can cause the countertop to weird things , in two cases I found the countertop had snapped upto the bottom of the Ceiling and in another was sitting on the floor when I went back to 3D.

I have not heard/seen the Electric Tooth Brush door before :)  but why not I guess.....

M.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Not really a bug...whomever created the undermount kohler sink symbol did not locate the z-axis correctly. 

Watch the video...

Kevin Whitt - Fix for undermount Kohler Sink (not a bug really) - Watch Video

cb5a65a8bec54e98b5119228adf10c1f-with-play.gif

Hi Steve - my custom symbols have the appropriate Z offset.  Tech Support has verified that this is a known issue.  It might look okay at first; however, it will change in subsequent renderings.  It only seems to happen when the countertops are custom which is 99% of the time for me.  Tech Support offered a workaround where you pull the sink off the countertop and put it back in place.  It holds for a while, but now forever.  I have been making a standard line poly from the cut-out shape and extruding that to cover the gap.

So the problem is that the symbol is not cutting a hole in the custom countertop...or, it does, but when you open the plan at a later date the "gap" returns?

I've tested this on my MAC...I've saved the file, opened and closed and created different renders and the sink is always in the correct position...no gap. I wonder if it's a video card issue?

Or...am I not understanding the real problem....admittedly I'm not sure if I do.  

9 minutes ago, SNestor said:

So the problem is that the symbol is not cutting a hole in the custom countertop...or, it does, but when you open the plan at a later date the "gap" returns?

I've tested this on my MAC...I've saved the file, opened and closed and created different renders and the sink is always in the correct position...no gap. I wonder if it's a video card issue?

Or...am I not understanding the real problem....admittedly I'm not sure if I do.  

The symbol does cut the hole, but it's taking the sides with it.  It does not happen with Kohler catalogs - only custom symbols I bring in or convert from Kohler.  Maybe it's time to nudge tech support on this fix!

Just now, kwhitt said:

The symbol does cut the hole, but it's taking the sides with it.  It does not happen with Kohler catalogs - only custom symbols I bring in or convert from Kohler.  Maybe it's time to nudge tech support on this fix!

In my video I use a modified Kohler symbol...and I don't have this issue. I've opened and closed the plan and created new camera views...no problem. Weird. 

3 minutes ago, SNestor said:

In my video I use a modified Kohler symbol...and I don't have this issue. I've opened and closed the plan and created new camera views...no problem. Weird. 

It is weird, but as I believe you were the first to tell me "That's Chief!".  Or at least you say it in your videos often!

What I'd really like to see fixed asap is the reflections behind glass problems in this thread:

The PBR engine is quite capable and I've gotten stunning results lately; however, I am unable to portray glass pendants over my kitchen islands.  If Chief were to get this right, it would save so much time not exporting to a more polished rendering software.

CAM04_McNelis_Kitchen_PBR_03-06-22_CC.jpg

CAM08_McNelis_Kitchen_PBR_03-06-22_CC.jpg

CAM09_McNelis_Kitchen_PBR_03-06-22_CC.jpg

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

I’ve run into this problem with all of my sinks which have worked with every version up to this point. It started to occur when they patched the issue with the custom countertop material glitch

On 3/15/2022 at 2:42 PM, Renerabbitt said:

I’ve run into this problem with all of my sinks which have worked with every version up to this point. It started to occur when they patched the issue with the custom countertop material glitch

There is a Fix in the Update released a few hours ago for Sink Cutouts..... not sure if it will help you or not?

image.thumb.png.876013609290eb6f49c00143db2f4295.png