Hip Roof Pitch Calculation?

HumbleChief

Probably making this too difficult but I have a house plan with 3 or 4 places with 45 degree corner conditions and hip roofs everywhere. Chief builds the hips dutifully as it should but it can't resolve the small hips as illustrated in the video and plan file. The framer doesn't care what the pitch is on these small hips as he'll just fill in the roof planes to match ridges but I would like to get the pitches corret for the model elevations etc. Can these pitches be calculated? Can Chief find the pitches automatically?

THANKS

ROOF PLAN ANGLES.plan

Larry, just let chief do the math.  Stretch the smaller roof plane and snap it to the ridge intersection point then lock the  "Fascia Top Height" and set the "Ridge Top Height" to be the same as the other roof plane.  250.5 in this case.  If you want enter that into the wall def to turn auto roofs back on and see if it still works.

image.thumb.png.2d8213d99d83e1bc5c8c8d739645f3ef.png

• Like 1

Its not too difficult to figure out using some of the various aforementioned methods as well as a few others, however I think its worth noting that we used to have a tool back in X11 that made this super fast and easy and I would really like to see it put back in.  Specifically, we had the Change Roof Pitch or Height dialog.  Here I was pulling my hair out over the last year or so on several project wondering why I couldn't get the tool to work anymore.  I finally decided to go back and test it out, and sure enough, it look like it was just removed completely.

Change.png.c54b018640d7c89156f8648f3fb321a2.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here I was pulling my hair out over the last year or so on several project wondering why I couldn't get the tool to work anymore.  I finally decided to go back and test it out, and sure enough, it look like it was just removed completely.

The one that pops up and asks you if you want the roof to "fit together" when you make a manual adjustment ?    I definitely miss that and was thinking the same thing.

• Upvote 1

In Eric's pic the pitches are equal and the hips center on corners.  Steve's got unequal pitches and irregular hips that are offset from corners.

The framer can do either and his rafter calculator will give him all the cutting numbers, but what might he prefer?  I'm guessing the irregular.

• Upvote 1

In Eric's pic the pitches are equal and the hips center on corners.  Steve's got unequal pitches and irregular hips that are offset from corners.

The framer can do either and his rafter calculator will give him all the cutting numbers, but what might he prefer?  I'm guessing the irregular.

Yes, and if you want plate height, eave overhang and eave height to stay the same, then you will need to change the rafter birdsmouth cuts - which Chiefs gives us you the Measurments section

• Upvote 1