Version 23.1.0.38 Wall Stud Spacing ?


Recommended Posts

So it is all totally automatic as long as you want 16" O.C. spacing ?   What am I missing ?

 

-Framing Wall Defaults

-Build Framing Wall Settings

-Wall Framing Material 

 

All set to 24" but I get 16"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stephenbc said:

Why do you want a 24" spacing?

 

Just for fun and to hold up the trusses.  Thank You.  I will send it in tomorrow.  Can't believe they would miss that even with in house testing. :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use that wall framing material. so it must be related to the material definition I guess.

I use a plain material and then at the bottom of the wall framing panel I set the framing spacings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Select the Main Layer in that Wall definition and then post another screenshot.

 

Got it.  Jenna is soo smooth I missed that little nugget.  I guess that needs to be set to default or all the other settings are useless ?

 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5514/what-s-new-in-x13-design.html?playlist=173

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

I don't use that wall framing material. so it must be related to the material definition I guess.

I use a plain material and then at the bottom of the wall framing panel I set the framing spacings.

 

From what I gather the material no longer has anything to do with spacing.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You might check in the wall definition to use the ‘default’ wall framing.  It also looks like your framing material is using "…stud 24 OC”.  In X13 we changed the framing to be independent of the wall material e.g., ‘fir framing’ vs. ‘16” fir framing’.  See attached image if it helps.

framing.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scottharris said:

You might check in the wall definition to use the ‘default’ wall framing.  It also looks like your framing material is using "…stud 24 OC”.  In X13 we changed the framing to be independent of the wall material e.g., ‘fir framing’ vs. ‘16” fir framing’.  See attached image if it helps.

 

Thanks Scott.   Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

 

Thanks Scott.   Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

I set my framing to use the 'default' in the wall definition - per my attached image in the post above.  Then, in the build framing dialog, you can enter 16", 24" or __".  I think that's the way the new X13 template plan is setup as well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

Are you talking about the Material Name?  In the X13 templates, I believe the material is just Fir Framing.  The OC references have all been removed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:
10 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Still curious what the stamp looks like on the material you frame with though ?

Are you talking about the Material Name?  In the X13 templates, I believe the material is just Fir Framing.  The OC references have all been removed.

 

No I was referring to the grading stamp on the framing material used in construction.  It seems that Fir is used in the West and Spruce is used in the East and Pine is used in the South but only Fir is used in Coeur d'Alene for some reason.  Every piece of lumber that I have seen is stamped S.P.F. which I believe covers the majority or situations in North America.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Renaming the framing to "...SPF" will not impact the framing spacing - provided you have 'default' checked in the wall definition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

 

No I was referring to the grading stamp on the framing material used in construction.  It seems that Fir is used in the West and Spruce is used in the East and Pine is used in the South but only Fir is used in Coeur d'Alene for some reason.  Every piece of lumber that I have seen is stamped S.P.F. which I believe covers the majority or situations in North America.


Around here DF (Doug Fir) and HF (Hem Fir) are the most common.  SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) is a premium product and is probably the 2nd most common.  1x framing material is pretty much always Common Pine.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scottharris said:

I set my framing to use the 'default' in the wall definition - per my attached image in the post above.  Then, in the build framing dialog, you can enter 16", 24" or __".  I think that's the way the new X13 template plan is setup as well.

 

Just something to think about when programming new features.  That non default setting did not come from my template file.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any way to add framing material types in the framing catalog like SPF, Western Red Cedar, Eastern White Cedar, (In exposed frame areas) Green Treated, Brown Treated, Ground contact treated ETC... Or be able to change the name Fir in the wall type definitions tab. To make the materials list accurate up front and not have to dissect the material list at the back end when were crunched for time. Fir studs aren't readily available here and cost a fortune to order.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes ....you can add or make a new material .....

 

image.thumb.png.c09a7043d31f676cff972c30834a5fc9.png

 

NO ....the materials list will always say FIR .... the ML is Hard Coded to call all Framing FIR

 

image.thumb.png.b2db7221cfdaddd266d33a6ed285940e.png

 

 

But the Framing Schedule uses the Material Name for the material

 

image.thumb.png.7f01783c263728fea5128df8ff7461a6.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

NO ....the materials list will always say FIR .... the ML is Hard Coded to call all Framing FIR

 

Not exactly true.  In X13 you can edit the material name in the individual framing objects' Components panel and you can also use Structural Member Reporting to control the material name for anything set to Report Actual Lengths.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

Not exactly true.  In X13 you can edit the material name in the individual framing objects' Components panel and you can also use Structural Member Reporting to control the material name for anything set to Report Actual Lengths.

 

Sounds like there are some new Options in X13, it is still a lot of Extra Work, that shouldn't be necessary especially since the Framing Schedule can already do it auto. and would be pretty cumbersome with multiple materials as Tony mentioned.

 

M.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

    29842
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    jcobbinhi
    Newest Member
    jcobbinhi
    Joined