Change roof plane to gullwing without rebuilding

KReads

On my remodel-add-on project I'm trying to add a gullwing roof to an addition room. I've already drawn the as-built home with manual and edited roof planes so I don't want them disturbed. The only way I see to add gullwing roof planes is to have CA rebuild all roof planes, ie, the single new gullwing roof plane can be specified in the wall specification dialog but it doesn't change the new roof plane from flat to gullwing automatically. The "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes," and "Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes" options can be used but CA still builds new automatic roof planes that have to removed individually (second screenshot). I guess the only way is to draw the gullwing is in two manual roof planes.  Anybody know a better way?

336090008_Changetogullwingroof.thumb.PNG.f498b96dbab0101c77fb79098747a3ab.PNG1824527372_Autobuild.thumb.PNG.ee333dc56660e729d6246640845eeef0.PNG

2 hours ago, KReads said:

On my remodel-add-on project I'm trying to add a gullwing roof to an addition room. I've already drawn the as-built home with manual and edited roof planes so I don't want them disturbed. The only way I see to add gullwing roof planes is to have CA rebuild all roof planes, ie, the single new gullwing roof plane can be specified in the wall specification dialog but it doesn't change the new roof plane from flat to gullwing automatically. The "Retain Manually Drawn Roof Planes," and "Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes" options can be used but CA still builds new automatic roof planes that have to removed individually (second screenshot). I guess the only way is to draw the gullwing is in two manual roof planes.  Anybody know a better way?

336090008_Changetogullwingroof.thumb.PNG.f498b96dbab0101c77fb79098747a3ab.PNG1824527372_Autobuild.thumb.PNG.ee333dc56660e729d6246640845eeef0.PNG

For the gullwing part, delete all roof planes and turn on automatically build roofs.  Select the two walls that are parallel to the ridge and then in the roof dialog of the wall dbx, enter the pitch for the upper section.  (The lower section should be the default pitch).  Also enter the distance from the baseline to the change in pitch.  Your gull wing walls should now be generated.  Turn off auto generate roofs and draw the remaining plans.  Set the pitch for those and adjust to suit.  There you go,.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Doug. Problem is, once I turn on automatically build roofs, all the roofs regenerate, even in sections that I have manually drawn roofs. So in those sections, I now have two different roof planes, one of which will require manually deleting. I know I'm missing something.

No problem drawing the gullwing manually in two planes. I was just thinking there might be a trick to having a manually drawn roof plane regenerate itself into a gullwing without affecting the rest of the roof planes.  I should see if I can make all the roof planes draw automatically with roof and room defaults. I haven't been able to yet but I'm trying!  Thank you all.

Thanks Doug. I think that works fine but I already have all the other roof planes manually built. Turning on auto build now to build the gullwing roof would build all the auto roof planes over all the manual ones.  I was just trying to avoid that.

Just now, KReads said:

Thanks Doug. I think that works fine but I already have all the other roof planes manually built. Turning on auto build now to build the gullwing roof would build all the auto roof planes over all the manual ones.  I was just trying to avoid that.

Ahh I see.  Well the gullwing roof is not too difficult to do manually either.  Do one side of the building using two roof planes, one for the shallow slope and one for the steeper.  Use the join tool to put them together.  Pull the peak back from the ridgeline, then select both planes.  Copy and paste then reflect about the center of the house and you should have it.

I requested more than 12+ years ago that we be allowed to select some roof planes via clicks

or edit area and only the selected planes would rebuild

the basic workflow is to use automatic roofs until you need to go manual

but if do make manual changes and then use auto-rebuild again you lose "all" the manual changes

Lew

2 hours ago, lbuttery said:

but if do make manual changes and then use auto-rebuild again you lose "all" the manual changes

Lew,

In that case you are using the wrong tool.

Auto Rebuild Roofs is the wrong tool to use.

You need to use Build Roof Planes with Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes checked.

This will auto build auto roofs, but leave your edited auto roofs as is.

If needed, you can also manually mark an auto roof plane as Mark As Edited - it then acts as a manually drawn roof plane.

Then, if you use Build Roof Planes with Retain Edited Automatic Roof Planes toggled on, the roof plane will be retained.

• Upvote 1

Glenn:

perhaps my comments are as old as my suggestion

back then the tools to "protect" manual changes didn't work very well

and my partner who did  most of the roof work was not impressed with them

yet, here we have a poster having similar issues

so I will step out of the conversation having made my suggestion again

if it is not needed, so be it ...

Lew