Display exterior walls in roof plan view

PPRGLLC

How do I display the exterior walls but not interior walls in various layer sets? I know how to turn the Walls, Normal display on and off, but I only want the exterior walls showing in both my roof plan view and plot plan view. Is there a way to separate exterior and interior walls so I can turn the display on/off independently of each other?

That is the hard way Graeme.

I have 2 layers I use.

One called "Walls, Normal Interior" and "Walls, Normal Exterior".

I then set my wall type and default layers for internal and external walls in the wall defaults to the appropriate layer - there are seperate defaults for internal and external walls.

When I draw internal and external walls, they go to the appropriate layer - I don't have to think about it.

I can then display internal and external walls independently. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PPRGLLC said:

How do I display the exterior walls but not interior walls in various layer sets? I know how to turn the Walls, Normal display on and off, but I only want the exterior walls showing in both my roof plan view and plot plan view. Is there a way to separate exterior and interior walls so I can turn the display on/off independently of each other?

You could also use a polyline mask to cover the interior walls. For a single plan, it may prove to be faster than placing all interior walls on their own layer. Placing interior walls on their own layer can be worthwhile especially if this is done in a template plan.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:39 AM, glennw said:

I have 2 layers I use.

I then set my wall type and default layers for internal and external walls in the wall defaults to the appropriate layer - there are seperate defaults for internal and external walls.

When I draw internal and external walls, they go to the appropriate layer - I don't have to think about it.

As usual,  a great solution.  Never thought of this before.....  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dshall said:

On 12/24/2020 at 12:39 AM, glennw said:

I have 2 layers I use.

As usual,  a great solution.  Never thought of this before.....  

Just bear in mind that this method can cause some issues with attic walls.  Automatically generated attic walls end up getting placed on the non-default layer to match the layer of the walls below instead of the "Walls, Attic" layer that they're normally placed on.  This can make them a little tricky to manage in some scenarios...particularly if they are being generated on the same floor as other normal walls.  If you want to turn them off for example, you have to place them onto a different layer, and when you do that, the wall is no longer automatically regenerated.  It also makes troubleshooting attic walls a lot more difficult for the same general reason...they're not being placed onto the "Walls, Attic" layer.

I'm pretty sure there are some other issues I'm not remembering too but the attic walls problems alone are worth considering.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just bear in mind that this method can cause some issues with attic walls.  Automatically generated attic walls end up getting placed on the non-default layer to match the layer of the walls below instead of the "Walls, Attic" layer that they're normally placed on.  This can make them a little tricky to manage in some scenarios...particularly if they are being generated on the same floor as other normal walls.  If you want to turn them off for example, you have to place them onto a different layer, and when you do that, the wall is no longer automatically regenerated.  It also makes troubleshooting attic walls a lot more difficult for the same general reason...they're not being placed onto the "Walls, Attic" layer.

I'm pretty sure there are some other issues I'm not remembering too but the attic walls problems alone are worth considering.

Good info to know.

• Upvote 1

I leave interior and exterior walls on the default layer.  It is not worth the hassle to separate them.  For 2 stories I have learned to use room fills to hide lower floor walls that are under the second floor envelope.

I just wish that the DOORS  would take on the fill of the adjacent room.   IOW,  I can see the ref floor below that I do not want to see.  So why don't I turn that layer off?  because there are some items OUTSIDE OF THOSE 2ND FLOOR PERMITER that I do want to see,  i.e. the first floor walls that are outside of the 2nd floor envelope.633136693_ScreenShot2020-12-27at8_24_27AM.thumb.png.99b0fdf61600fc21d239430e2df6c987.png

1557174490_ScreenShot2020-12-27at8_24_18AM.thumb.png.0ebd8d8363d668b7c6663cd2c44fa61a.png

On 12/26/2020 at 11:46 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Still think there are more issues I'm forgetting but I remembered a coupe more...

Similar to the Attic Wall issue, walls that are placed onto a non-default layer will also fail to automatically change layers when switched to Invisible or No Locate.  Not as a big of a deal as the attic wall issue, but another thing to consider.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:07 AM, robdyck said:

You could also use a polyline mask to cover the interior walls. For a single plan, it may prove to be faster than placing all interior walls on their own layer. Placing interior walls on their own layer can be worthwhile especially if this is done in a template plan.

I'm looking for a solution both for a current plan I've already drawn and for an easier way to do it in the future, so it sounds like I should try a polyline mask for the current plan and place interior walls on their own layer in my template for future plans. Now my question is, how do I do either method?

For the polyline mask, do I use the "make living area polyline" tool then change the fill to solid white? Or is there a better way?

I have tried creating new layers using Default Settings->walls-> Interior walls -> layer -> define -> copy (then edit the name to be walls, normal interior). It doesn't seem to make any difference. Is that because the walls are already drawn? If I did this before drawing any walls, would the interior walls be on a different layer I could turn on/off independent of the exterior walls? Or am I doing it completely wrong?