stevenyhof

Foundation wall framing

Recommended Posts

I have run into this with a few plans. I did not use provide framing detail, but for the clients that want to see the detail in 3D, I like to produce a 3D framing model that can mess with online. However, I have found that some of my walls in the foundation area do not generate the framing as the main and second floors do.

The support walls with a footing do not show as framing. And the Fur walls also do not show framing. Also the lower daylight walls remain with siding on them.

Thoughts ???

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSLeZLDIRSsZWin7R1bfHL-OOxYNFiQZ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1gDrY234MUOCFKEaz6Eg9SRFR9EoURt/view?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Steve

3.jpg

2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make them normal walls rather than foundation walls and see if that gives you what you want. You can still specify that they are bearing, and contain footings, but I think the problem is they are FOUNDATION walls and not NORMAL walls

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem lies with the Pony Wall definition.  In order to get rid of the surface layers you need to turn off the wall layer.  Turning off the wall layer turns off the concrete portion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stevenyhof - if you could create a "simple" view you could try using the surface delete tool, save the camera. But - it's a time consuming process on a large complex view. 

 

2020-10-23_17-00-28.thumb.png.d060ebc0f27b3bb060bb48af5634d8f1.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Make them normal walls rather than foundation walls and see if that gives you what you want. You can still specify that they are bearing, and contain footings, but I think the problem is they are FOUNDATION walls and not NORMAL walls

 

Ah! I will do that. Was wondering about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The problem lies with the Pony Wall definition.  In order to get rid of the surface layers you need to turn off the wall layer.  Turning off the wall layer turns off the concrete portion. 

I will mess with layers first. Would rather fix it that way than recreate my walls. But it does not take long to recreate the walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof - if you could create a "simple" view you could try using the surface delete tool, save the camera. But - it's a time consuming process on a large complex view. 

 

2020-10-23_17-00-28.thumb.png.d060ebc0f27b3bb060bb48af5634d8f1.png

I will do that. I was doing that at first but then figured the walls must be wrong somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I will mess with layers first. Would rather fix it that way than recreate my walls. But it does not take long to recreate the walls.

 

Sorry if my post was confusing.  I wasn't actually offering a solution.  I was just trying to explain what is happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SNestor said:

@stevenyhof - quick example of your plan...

 

2020-10-23_17-17-02.thumb.png.0c9126fdb4527ae28898818686a5cf0f.png

Very nice - and that is with some layers turned off - ok

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

Sorry if my post was confusing.  I wasn't actually offering a solution.  I was just trying to explain what is happening.

I always like to know what is happening also :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Make them normal walls rather than foundation walls and see if that gives you what you want. You can still specify that they are bearing, and contain footings, but I think the problem is they are FOUNDATION walls and not NORMAL walls

 

Making them normal allows me to turn off the Wall, Normal layer to expose the framing, But Michael is right, it is with the Pony Wall. Ideally, a pony wall should maybe allow us to maintain or control the walls within the pony assembly. I want to keep the foundation and footings on the walls.

 

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

if you could create a "simple" view you could try using the surface delete tool, save the camera. But - it's a time consuming process on a large complex view. 

Steve may have the only answer at this time, spend the time to remove the layers and save. I like to upload a framing 3D model for the client to mess with on the online viewer. Maybe it is not so bad that the pony walls remain with its materials. The main focus is on the framing of the floors and trusses. Maybe another version will address this. I'm not sure when Pony walls were released, but with all new things there are always ramifications that need to be addressed.

 

3 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The problem lies with the Pony Wall definition.  In order to get rid of the surface layers you need to turn off the wall layer.  Turning off the wall layer turns off the concrete portion.

Yes Sir! Catch 22! Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was one way of doing this that I think will be ok. It will remove the foundation from the pony walls, but it keeps the framing which still shows more of the framing. Hopefully this will be addressed some day. 

I made the Pony walls, Walls, Daylight and turn them off with the Walls, Normal layer. The foundation wall will remain. The bearing walls are also Walls, Normal now so the framing shows us, but the footing is off - not cool, but ok. Thank you guys!

2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then with floor surfaces turned on, it should be quite fine. Helps with the foundation space so the walls are setting on something. Now it is like walking through a house once it is framed up.

10-23-2020_5546.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, solver said:

 

I briefly read the above comments, and did not watch this video again, but see if it gives you an idea.

 

From this thread

 

http://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25172-framing-display-issues/

 

 

 

 

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/pOY84lS_I6M?hd=1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
  •  

Just another dang time wasting Work-a-Round! Please suggest Chief fix all the Pony Wall idiosyncrasies (including alignment controls of Both Pony Walls Layers with upper walls etc). You can do it Nicky!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, solver said:

 

I briefly read the above comments, and did not watch this video again, but see if it gives you an idea.

 

From this thread

 

http://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/25172-framing-display-issues/

 

 

 

 

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/pOY84lS_I6M?hd=1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
  •  

Thank you Eric! I'm going to give it a try! 
I just got done putting different Plan Views together using the Reference Layers, and this, while a bit of a work around, seems to be a solution... For now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Just another dang time wasting Work-a-Round! Please suggest Chief fix all the Pony Wall idiosyncrasies (including alignment controls of Both Pony Walls Layers with upper walls etc). You can do it Nicky!

 

Exactly, while at it can we specify max plate length like [16'] to avoid 120' single plates and properly account for studs at plate ends.

Yes we can chop every single wall into 16' sections and if anything moves you are SOL. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I am still learning Chief, I have several decades of Architectural CAD experience. I do bring up subjects now and then that are important to other users. Please click that Upvote button next to my posts and others engaging in the conversation if you think the subject is worth getting the attention of the developers. Thank you!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

While I am still learning Chief, I have several decades of Architectural CAD experience. I do bring up subjects now and then that are important to other users. Please click that Upvote button next to my posts and others engaging in the conversation if you think the subject is worth getting the attention of the developers. Thank you!!

Just an FYI that doesn't actually get the boost to suggestions.  Recently the Suggestions department clarified the best way to get a suggestion advanced other than having something unique that they feel is a great suggestion themselves is to have good support from others but not simply an upvote or a +1 rather a +1 with a fairly detailed reason why the user is in agreement and how it would help in their circumstances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Just an FYI that doesn't actually get the boost to suggestions.  Recently the Suggestions department clarified the best way to get a suggestion advanced other than having something unique that they feel is a great suggestion themselves is to have good support from others but not simply an upvote or a +1 rather a +1 with a fairly detailed reason why the user is in agreement and how it would help in their circumstances.

Yes, I remember that. I actually started that post :) I just want more Votes - it makes me feel important :lol: Seriously though... Votes may not help, but more users on a thread having a conversation about the subject I think can help get their attention... maybe - Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28847
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    SWinteriordesign
    Newest Member
    SWinteriordesign
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      How do others deal with this issue of showing only the main wall layer, and also show the pony wall details?
      https://www.loom.com/share/065ec43bccca444189befa2716629d75
      Thank you,
      Steve
    • By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      Two questions...
      I lost one of my folders in my library - I must of deleted it by accident. How do I find it back? Is there a way to export/save my Library so I can restore it if something like this happens? Thank you
    • By stevenyhof
      Right now my Polyline Solid defaults to concrete. Is there a way to make the default Brite?
      Thank you!
    • By stevenyhof
      I was drawing a house the other day that required a deck and stairs with a railing for the front porch. I always use a room to start with and post to beam.
       
      As I continue to use Chief I begin to learn how things work related to how rooms can connect at a 0 edge (no overlap). I'm putting this out there because some of you veterans always find other unique ways of doing things I am not thinking about. But more importantly, for Chief to offer a few more added options to what I think is a standard practice in building.

      I have watched a number of videos about how to extend a concrete porch far enough to extend past the column base trim. So I do that and recently made a slab to look like a deck and works great on the sections as well. I would go so far as to say I have at times seen someone build a porch in real life where the trim overhung the porch/deck edge because of miscalculation or unskilled carpenter (which would start with the framer). I say this because Chief in trying to be a simple tool is suggesting that all posts and columns have no base trim or that base trim exists inside the room boundary. (Yes, there is a style that keeps its trim and crown molding inside the beam boundary - I cannot remember the last time I used it nor does it fit the history of columns and beams.) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I don't find it beautiful.
       
      As shown in the picture, when a stairs is added there is a gap between the end of the stairs rail (where it meets the room boundary) and the railing centered on the columns. This gap exists because the edge of the porch or deck needs to contain the trim of the column - plus an inch or so. I made a stairs rail into a symbol to fill this gap, albeit not the most beautiful in short time.
       
      So, two things. But one (1.) more important. 
      Add an option in the stairs dbx to extend the stair railing - even to allow the relationship of the joining railings to be disconnected (no relationship) if wanted. Kind of like how we can control the stairs skirt board that allow us to extend beyond the width. Add an option to extend a room floor beyond the room ceiling - allowed only where no other room is connected - like a porch. (I understand we are drawing what can be constructed and therefore in real life rooms do not overlap). Every house I draw has some form of a front porch and most have a rear porch. These spaces/rooms are typically connected to other room spaces by one, two or three walls. Which means there is always the possibility to have one to three edges extend beyond the ceiling boundary into space outside the house - allowing the column trim to rest properly inside the porch or deck edge.  
      Thank you,
      Steve
       
       

    • By stevenyhof
      Is there a way to change the line style on a door to a dashed line so I can show it as a future door?