TennVol

Create custom entry door?

Recommended Posts

Is there a way to create a custom entry door?  Client wants a DSA Briarcliff style door and I can't really find anything close in the doors available in the library or mfr. downloads.  

dsa briarcliff door.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Search my YouTube channel (link in Sig) for a couple of videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Eric, I'll check it out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That picture doesn't do it any favors.

Are they building a dungeon?   :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rich_Winsor said:

That picture doesn't do it any favors.

 

Would better lighting help ?

 

briarcliff-ka-crop-u30300.jpg

 

There is even a fairly good image if you wanted to just do a "painted" door rather than modeling every detail.

https://dsadoors.com/standard/briarcliff/briarcliff/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

There is even a fairly good image if you wanted to just do a "painted" door rather than modeling every detail.

 

Something like this?

1982757190_BriarcliffDoor.thumb.png.dbdc8648d95ff2163eaf25b82dd8837d.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Something like this?

1982757190_BriarcliffDoor.thumb.png.dbdc8648d95ff2163eaf25b82dd8837d.png

 

Yup something like that but with the door frame cropped out so people don't fall for that trick. ;)

 

We worked on the last one together Rich but that was a few years ago I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Yup something like that but with the door frame cropped out so people don't fall for that trick. ;)

We worked on the last one together Rich but that was a few years ago I think.

Geeze, picky picky picky. :P I just grabbed the 

wrong (uncropped) image when i was making

the new material for the door. Does this one

float your boat? B)

403743582_BriarcliffDoor.thumb.png.e04242d50e7799f211ece498d2fbbd78.png

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to come up with something similar going off Eric's video. Thank you guys so much for the help. Didn't know about the painted door trick I'm going to have to keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Painted door trick wont help with con docs...still gonna need to make that door or draw a 2D version in CAD.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or use Photoshop / Gimp 

Door 1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Painted door trick wont help with con docs...still gonna need to make that door or draw a 2D version in CAD.


Totally concur.  I go to pretty great lengths to model almost everything so that the model accurately communicates the important details, not only for views that show Textures but also (and more importantly many times)...those that don’t (Vector Views, Technical Illustrations, Line Drawings, etc.).   Plus, even in Standard Views, PBRs, and Ray Traces, that painted image technique also has the tendency to throw a scene off with the flawed shadows, lack of glass transparency, lack of proper 3D depth (iron cage in the example above), etc.  

 

P.S.  Nice work though @Rich_Winsor.  It’s not my favorite METHOD, but you used the method well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. for the record I was just taking the ball

Chopsaw threw out there and running with it.

For anyone interested the process involved

opening the image from Briarcliff in PSP and

cropping out the door frame. I also took the

liberty to convert the door glass in the image

to a transparent background. Then in Chief I

converted the PSP image into a material and

applied it to a plain slab door. I wasn't sure if

it would work, but applying the material to the

door cut a transparent hole in the slab for the

glass window. The transparent window glass

and an actual 3D handle on the door go a long

way to convincing the mind that the door isn't 

just a flat image.

 

And thanks for the kind words Michael. :)

1083529265_BriarcliffDoor-2.thumb.png.7172c1a3ee63d5496bd458bd7f69ad23.png.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my mind there's no way it would be worth modeling a very detailed one-off door like that unless the clients themselves specifically selected that door and were interested in paying me to model it correctly (which has happened exactly once)...or I knew I'd be using it again and again and again...or I doubled my fees.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Well. for the record I was just taking the ball

Chopsaw threw out there and running with it.

For anyone interested the process involved

opening the image from Briarcliff in PSP and

cropping out the door frame. I also took the

liberty to convert the door glass in the image

to a transparent background. Then in Chief I

converted the PSP image into a material and

applied it to a plain slab door. I wasn't sure if

it would work, but applying the material to the

door cut a transparent hole in the slab for the

glass window. The transparent window glass

and an actual 3D handle on the door go a long

way to convincing the mind that the door isn't 

just a flat image.

 

And thanks for the kind words Michael. :)

1083529265_BriarcliffDoor-2.thumb.png.7172c1a3ee63d5496bd458bd7f69ad23.png.

 

 

Looks better than many textures provided by Chief... grass, shingles etc.

 

21 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

To my mind there's no way it would be worth modeling a very detailed one-off door like that unless the clients themselves specifically selected that door and were interested in paying me to model it correctly (which has happened exactly once)...or I knew I'd be using it again and again and again...or I doubled my fees.    

 

+1

 

For elevations the 2-D would be pretty easy to draw, easier I would think than modeling an actual door symbol.

 

But to each their own. I spend an inordinate amount of time making a plan set cover that includes a ray trace of the exterior of the house with plants, tree shadows, and a nice graphic layout of the page with the homeowner's name in a pretty font.

 

We all gots priorities. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28448
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Burtonmadness
    Newest Member
    Burtonmadness
    Joined