SKYLIGHT SCHEDULE

sarvari1978

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Chief just doesn't do that, you cannot add a skylight to the window sched, it would be good if you could though.

It would be even better to add it to your roof schedule, but that is broken as well.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, sarvari1978 said:

COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW TO ADD TO ROOF SCHEDULE, OR CUSTOM ONE.

It is not a feature in Chief Architect.  However if you are able to write your own code in Ruby language it can run within Chief.

These are rather complicated and not really something that can be explained in a paragraph or two.

Here is a discussion I was involved in on the topic if you want to do some reading.

You can have someone write custom macros for you or learn to write them yourself.

My opinion.  Easiest solution is just to cheat it.  Select skylights one by one, Convert To Symbol and drag off to side.  Then include all those in their own Custom Schedule.  You could optionally rotate them and use custom macros so sizing was right or you could just use Custom Object Information Fields and just enter the necessary info. manually.  Not ideal, but easy enough.  

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

My opinion.  Easiest solution is just to cheat it.  Select skylights one by one, Convert To Symbol and drag off to side.  Then include all those in their own Custom Schedule.  You could optionally rotate them and use custom macros so sizing was right or you could just use Custom Object Information Fields and just enter the necessary info. manually.  Not ideal, but easy enough.

I think I would agree for one job.  Possibly not even take it that far though.  Take a copy of your window schedule and convert it to text then edit to your liking if you are going to go through the trouble of entering the data any way.  Low Tech.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I think I would agree for one job.  Possibly not even take it that far though.  Take a copy of your window schedule and convert it to text then edit to your liking if you are going to go through the trouble of entering the data any way.  Low Tech.

Ya.  That’s an option too.  I personally like to include the elevations in the schedule though.  It was an unspoken pre-requisite in my mind.  If the elevations aren’t necessary, you’re probably right.  Just make it manually.  Could also use the material list in a number of ways too.  

I have created skylights from windows that I keep in a warehouse plan.  They are windows, sized and labeled as Velux skylights.  I copy and drop them into a wall on the attic level of my plan and they report to the window schedule (or whatever schedule you'd like).  Not ideal, but it gets the job done.  

Someone had posted this tip here many years ago.  Thanks to whoever that was!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Take a copy of your window schedule and convert it to text then edit to your liking if you are going to go through the trouble of entering the data any way.  Low Tech.

Always works for me.  Unless you've got a project with a boat-load of skylights it's pretty quick. 
I do have to wonder though why it's so difficult to get this often asked about feature added to Chief?

• 3 years later...

You can include them in your window schedule, just like any other window...

Solution:

1.All you need to do is create CAD detail via the project browser

2.Click on Tools>Schedules>Window Schedules

3.Choose your desired floor (usually 2 or 3)

4.Scroll to the bottom of "categories to include", Click the "windows" dropdown, and check Skylights

Done

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1