kwhitt

Deck Seating

Recommended Posts

Is there any way to have Chief automate creation of the attached deck railing with built-in seat?  I can get the horizontal boards, but is there a way to space the vertical supports during the process?  Thanks.

20191108_165735.jpg

2000000000018932.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are few ways of doing it,  you can use benches from the library or find a nice bench in a 3D warehouse and with a little modification, you can make it work.

 

Untitled 1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use Molding Polylines.  

  • For the horizontal pieces you can use a series of molding profiles
  • For the vertical pieces use 3D molding symbols.

It will take a little work to get the pieces all correct but it works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kwhitt said:

Is there any way to have Chief automate creation of the attached deck railing with built-in seat?  I can get the horizontal boards, but is there a way to space the vertical supports during the process?  Thanks.

 

 

 

The few times i've had to do it I have used Chief's One already in the Library.  Use the panel Option if I remember correctly....

 

M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of ways.  As Joe said, you can use molding polylines along with simple molding extrusions and 3D molding symbols, but you can also use a custom newel symbol along with a stacked molding applied to the rails themselves. 

 

Or, what I would personally usually end up doing in a scenario like this...just build it from scratch using p-solids and/or framing.  The automated methods can be great, but typically I find that once I get everything modeled and configured for the "automated" method I end up spending close to the same amount of time if not more time than I would have had I just modeled it all independently.  Plus, chances I'm going to re-use the custom modeled components are between slim and none.  And then, we have a lot less control of independent placement and display of each of the little components if we use moldings, railing settings, etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys for the feedback.  Michael - I know what you mean about it being just as quick to model it, but I'm on the 3rd revision for this guy (starting to regret taking the retainer) and could possibly have to do a couple more until he settles on a footprint.

 

So, were I to have CA do the automation, the vertical members would be newel posts with short horizontal members attached to align with my horizontal panels (the seat and back)?  I am unsure of where I place the origin for such a symbol so that the slanted back exceeds the outline of the deck.  Also, I failed to mention that the deck has chamfered corners as shown in the attached.  Does this present any problems with the automation (mitering specifically)?  I am just getting into creating my own symbols and would appreciate any advice.  Thanks again,  Kevin

chamfer.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, kwhitt said:

Thanks guys for the feedback.  Michael - I know what you mean about it being just as quick to model it, but I'm on the 3rd revision for this guy (starting to regret taking the retainer) and could possibly have to do a couple more until he settles on a footprint.

 

So, were I to have CA do the automation, the vertical members would be newel posts with short horizontal members attached to align with my horizontal panels (the seat and back)?  I am unsure of where I place the origin for such a symbol so that the slanted back exceeds the outline of the deck.  Also, I failed to mention that the deck has chamfered corners as shown in the attached.  Does this present any problems with the automation (mitering specifically)?  I am just getting into creating my own symbols and would appreciate any advice.  Thanks again,  Kevin

chamfer.jpg

 

Yes...but, it may not be perfect.  

 

In the picture below I've created a custom newel post.  I used P-Solids to create the newel design, then turned these into a "millwork" symbol and assigned the symbol to be a "newel" on the "options" tab. 
 

I've used (2) separate molding profiles (the brown is molding "A" and the pink is molding "B"...see pic below) so that I could paint them with unique materials...or at least control the direction of the the "grain" if the material was a wood.  In order to get the molding lines to "sit" correctly on the newel you will have to tweak the horizontal and vertical offsets in the molding tab....but, with an open "section" of the railing wall it's not that difficult or time consuming. 

 

The newels shown below are in a "railing" wall...set to "open", no top or bottom rails...newels are spaced 72" on center.  You will find that using a railing wall is quick...but, the newels at the corners don't always look correct.  There isn't much you can do to fix this other than creating a newel "symbol" and placing these exactly where you want them...then attach the moldings for the seat.  

 

2019-11-12_15-20-09.thumb.png.f5238fdd662e87c396ca09a2034112cd.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve - thanks for the explanation.  I will be working on this today.  Was there anything special needed for the newel post origin?  Do I draw the newels in plan or elevation view?  I appreciate the time you took to illustrate this.  Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Steve - thanks for the explanation.  I will be working on this today.  Was there anything special needed for the newel post origin?  Do I draw the newels in plan or elevation view?  I appreciate the time you took to illustrate this.  Kevin


I drew the newel in plan...for me it’s much easier.  This does require that you rotate the symbol to get it in the right position (standing...not laying down).  
 

I did have to adjust the position of the X/Y/Z so that the newel sits on the deck in the correct position.  This might take a little trial and error.  
 

You could just make a “fixture” symbol and place them exactly where you want them.  This might even be a better solution.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Steve.  I'm getting there.  The point called out by the black arrow in the attached is the point where the newel sits on the deck rim joist.  Is this where I want the origin for my symbol?  Kevin

newel.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct.  If you find the origin is off just a bit...just right click on the symbol in the library and “tweak” it...then just click the newel in a 3D view and “replace from library”...with a few tweaks you’ll get it right. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve - I got it to work, but you're right about the corners.  Playing around with room dividers at the corners is a lot of work, think it will be faster to place these newels manually.  Thanks again for the all the help.  Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Steve - I got it to work, but you're right about the corners.  Playing around with room dividers at the corners is a lot of work, think it will be faster to place these newels manually.  Thanks again for the all the help.  Kevin

 

No doubt...using newels like these in a railing wall is fast...but, the corner construction is weird.

 

The time you'd spend messing around trying to get them to work you could drop in the newel symbols exactly where you'd want them...attach the seat moldings and be done with it.      

 

Also, moldings don't allow you to drop a "doorway" into them...so, to create any opening you may want to have you will have to break the molding where you want the opening...select that section and select "remove molding from selected edge".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for the tips.  I've learned quite a bit from your YouTube Channel too.  Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks again for the tips.  I've learned quite a bit from your YouTube Channel too.  Kevin

 

Thanks!  I'm always happy to hear someone got something from my YouTube Videos.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28422
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    SpacemakerHE
    Newest Member
    SpacemakerHE
    Joined