Q: How do I get control over the macro-generated text on a roof plane?

para-CAD

>Hello BT,  Just trying to get the new revised version to work with the previously posted roof plane macro.  

Thank you. Issues with the cut and paste. Corrected

>Would it be possible to return the Roof Plane # in the Roof plane label something like this ?

Add something like this:

result += "Roof Plane: " + obj.object_id.to_s

i.e.

result = "Slope Angle: " +(Math.atan2(obj.pitch,12.0)*180.0/Math::PI).round(2).to_s + "\n"

result += "Pitch: " + obj.automatic_label+ "\n"

result += "Area: " + ((obj.framing_area / 100.0 ).round(1)).to_s

result += "Roof Plane: " + obj.object_id.to_s

result

Try this label macro

referenced ? obj = referenced : obj = owner

if $tree.nil?

$tree = Hash.new { |hash, key| hash[key] = {} }

end

id="p" + obj.object_id.to_s

pitch = obj.automatic_label

area = ( obj.framing_area / 100.0 ).round(1)

slope = (Math.atan2(obj.pitch,12.0)*180.0/Math::PI).round(2)

#unless $tree['roofplanes'].has_value?(id)

items = Hash.new()

items['roof_plane']=id

items['pitch']=pitch

items['area']=area

$tree['roofplanes'][id]=items

#end

indx = $tree['roofplanes'].keys.find_index(id)

result = "Slope Angle: " +slope.to_s + "\n"

result += "Pitch: " + pitch+ "\n"

result += "Area: " + area.to_s + "\n"

result += "Roof Plane: " +indx.to_s

result

============================================

Entering statement below in Ruby console will reset your collection tree.

$tree = nil

I seem to be getting an evaluation error but can't find the discrepancy.  Cut and paste did add a couple of "?" similar to the issue Alan was having, at the end of the slope and index lines that I removed but not sure what is causing the error.

Edited by Chopsaw
Found it... there was another cut and paste ? mid line that I missed.

On 10/22/2019 at 4:37 PM, Chopsaw said:

Also is it possible for the data to be presented in Standard Text Box with tab stops and grid lines to give the appearance of a schedule ?

BT's macro can definitely be modified to help accommodate this a little more, but it already has tab stops in it to get you most of the way there.  The problem though is this:  The text box you're using needs to have the appropriate number of tabs added to the text itself or the macro generated tabs don't work.  It could be as simple as adding the column headers and their related tabs.

• Upvote 1

Oops...   It seems the Text macro is now picking up the new label global variable for the area and they are not the supposed to be the same.   sq should not equal sq ft.   I will try to fix it but it may be beyond me still.

This seems to fix the issue and also has my preferred custom formatting.

#################################################################################

if $tree.nil?

end

area = obj.surface_area

areasq = ( obj.framing_area / 100.0 ).round(1)

items = Hash.new()

items['roof_plane']=id

items['pitch']=pitch

items['area']=area

items['areasq']=areasq

#end

result = "Slope Angle: " + slope.to_s + "°\n"

result += "Roof Pitch: " + pitch + "\n"

result += "Roof Area: " + areasq.to_s + " sq" +"\n"

result += "Roof Plane: # " + indx.to_s

result

#################################################################################

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:
17 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Also is it possible for the data to be presented in Standard Text Box with tab stops and grid lines to give the appearance of a schedule ?

BT's macro can definitely be modified a little more to help accommodate this a little more, but it already has tab stops in it to get you most of the way there.  The problem though is this:  The text box you're using needs to have the appropriate number of tabs added to the text itself or the macro generated tabs don't work.  It could be as simple as adding the column headers and their related tabs.

Thanks Michael,  I learned a lot today. :D

Roof Plane Areas Maros.JPG

Thank you guys.

Another improvement

Can be replaced with the angle method no need to calculate. 

slope = obj.angle.round(2)

Anyone knows what is the difference between 

.framing_area and .surface_area methods? 

54 minutes ago, BrownTiger said:

Thank you guys.

Another improvement

Can be replaced with the angle method no need to calculate. 

slope = obj.angle.round(2)

Anyone knows what is the difference between 

.framing_area and .surface_area methods? 

framing_area should be to the outside of the rafters and rough fascia

surface_area should be to the outside of the finish fascia and possibly shadow-boards

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You bet.  Here’s a bonus trick too...

Convert a schedule to text, delete the unnecessary stuff and then use that as your text box instead if you want the title line with double underline.

I am sure that I could have used that quite a few times if I had known sooner.  Thank You.  Too bad it is not a one click option.:wacko:

• Upvote 1

Just a few quick notes for when you're trying to utilize global arrays and hashes...

• You can use the = nil, .clear or similar in the Ruby Console to force a rebuild.  The downside though is that you have to type it up every time.
  • You can write a custom macro to do the exact same as above and then simply opening and closing Text Macro Management will force the rebuild.  The downside to this though is that it will also force an empty hash or array inside Text Macro Management, so you'll never get to preview your results in that dialog.  To me, this is pretty minor and the results there are usually inaccurate anyway, so it's really a non-issue for me personally.  
  • You can place the aforementioned macro somewhere on screen so that whenever that particular object is displayed, the array or hash is cleared and subsequently rebuilt.  It can only be displayed temporarily though because otherwise it will continually empty the array or hash and you won't get your desired results.
  • You can use the time oriented method Joe suggested, but this also has it's downsides...For example, if you have roof planes on more than one floor, you'll almost always be missing results from the other floors. 
  • The only totally consistent method I've found is to use something with a schedule number so that the schedule number can be used as a constant.  If the schedule number already exists in the hash or array, then that item is deleted and the new one is placed there.  This essentially makes sure no extra items are ever added to the list.  It's obviously only possible for items with schedule numbers though.
  • For items without schedule numbers, one of my personally preferred methods is to use a .clear macro placed up on the attic level.  I then just periodically cycle through all floors to both clear the array or hash and to also pick up on any items that are on other floors. 

Anyway, just beware that those hashes and arrays are tricky to work with in Chief and that you have to be pretty deliberate with your methods if you want to be sure you're getting accurate results. 

I typically click on a Macro in TMM and copy and paste the results into a text box;

If you adjust a roof plane -- copy and paste again.

Results.thumb.PNG.7bb3e694ae13e8bd7554baa10c46cecd.PNG

This was a test Ruby project for an enumeration of roof planes. Same thing can be done with area analysis, etc.

On 10/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, Chopsaw said:

Also is there a way to make the Roof Plane # match the numbering of the results ?

On 10/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, BrownTiger said:

Try this label macro

if $tree.nil?

end

area = ( obj.framing_area / 100.0 ).round(1)

items = Hash.new()

items['roof_plane']=id

items['pitch']=pitch

items['area']=area

#end

result = "Slope Angle: " +slope.to_s + "\n"

result += "Pitch: " + pitch+ "\n"

result += "Area: " + area.to_s + "\n"

result += "Roof Plane: " +indx.to_s

result

============================================

Entering statement below in Ruby console will reset your collection tree.

$tree = nil

I think Rich is correct in that Hieroglyphics would be simpler but I think I am finally getting the hang of this and will be able to make use of this type of macro.

Is there a simple way to make the Roof Plane # sequence start at 1 rather than 0 ?

1 minute ago, solver said:

Why do you ask?

Because it would reduce the level of confusion for those not familiar with Hieroglyphics.

If you have a listing of items that goes from 0-33 some people forget that there are actually 34 items once they get to the end of the list.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Eric,  I did not realize it would be that simple.  Putting it in the result line produces an error but in the indx line it seem to be working.

indx = $tree['roofplanes'].keys.find_index(id)+1

I just need to figure out the global part now but that will likely be the same trick.

9 minutes ago, solver said:

result += "Roof Plane: " +indx+1.to_s

Probably needed to be

result += "Roof Plane: " +(indx+1).to_s

Yes that method makes it work for both the label and text macro's.  Thank You

s= index.to_s      needs to be    s=( index+1).to_s    in the text macro. :)

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes that method makes it work for both the label and text macro's.  Thank You

s= index.to_s      needs to be    s=( index+1).to_s    in the text macro. :)

Thanks Chopsaw  (and Eric) I had the same thought as you about the numbering and this has fixed it

I'm just following along and trying things (script kiddie) as I don't know Ruby, so two Tips from Michael (Thanks) in this thread have also helped with some issues I was having too, the .Clear Macro on the Attic Level works well for forcing the rebuild of the Tables and the Trick with the Schedule turned to Text makes it look nicer too. (save-able to Library).

I just need to figure out the Tab stops for the Room Sqft Table so it works nicer like the Roof Sqft Table . I assume it is the   +"\t"   part but must be placing it incorrectly or something?

image.thumb.png.9fb6f7a8e348567e0baa121530cc8a6f.png

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I just need to figure out the Tab stops for the Room Sqft Table so it works nicer like the Roof Sqft Table . I assume it is the   +"\t"   part but must be placing it incorrectly or something?

Mick it looks like maybe you missed a tab setting up the text schedule for your column headings ?

37 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Mick it looks like maybe you missed a tab setting up the text schedule for your column headings ?

Yep so far playing with it I haven't got it to work, BT's macro does it for the Roof Planes but His Room Macro is missing the extra Tab Stops of the Roof Plane macro and I assume I am inserting the wrong Code ( +"\t"  ??? ) or inserting it in the wrong place so far. Need to play more....

M.