Continuous Stair Railing?

Designer1

I was watching a tv episode showcasing old brownstones in NY.  This one was about 6 floors and had a central staircase that you could see from the first floor on up.  The staircase railing was continuous without interruption of newels or anything on the inside railing.  It made me wonder if chief was able to do this?  I sometimes don't like how chiefs staircases can get messing with using stair tools and railings, you can never have a clean finished look.  So would this be possible to have the continues railing in chief?

Exactly Chopsaw!  I couldn't find a really good picture online to describe it.  I tried a few things but nothing had the result I was looking for.   I tried turning the newels into balusters but it wont work because your either working with a staircase or a railing.  I can change both into balusters with no newels but they don't connect neatly like that.

You'd have to build it the exact same way a carpenter would on site: piece by piece. By joining moldings, 3d moldings, railings (walls) and stairs, the desired effect can be accomplished. The techniques used would vary a bit depending on the stair layout and configuration, but the nice thing about 6 floors is that you'd only need to build it once, then replicate it for each floor. @Designer1 Could you post your stair configuration? Pictures or plan file.

11 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Not sure it would be easy but someone like @yusuf-333  could likely figure it out.

Chop

I think chief does this automatically. Just untick the check boxes for "railing transitions" in stair dbx, while check boxes for "smooth transition" is checked on.

thanks

smooth railing transition.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, yusuf-333 said:

Chop

I think chief does this automatically. Just untick the check boxes for "railing transitions" in stair dbx, while check boxes for "smooth transition" is checked on.

thanks

smooth railing transition.jpg

Yusuf ---cool!  Thanks for a simple solution!  I will check and uncheck some of the boxes and see what results I can come up with, Im just so glad it can do it without a bunch of piece mealing it together. 

Rob, I actually don't have a plan, I saw a staircase like this on tv and was just wondering if something like this could be done in chief, so I don't have a plan to show.  Im just excited it can do this so it opens up new design opportunities!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2019 at 3:34 AM, Designer1 said:

Yusuf ---cool!  Thanks for a simple solution!  I will check and uncheck some of the boxes and see what results I can come up with, Im just so glad it can do it without a bunch of piece mealing it together. 

Rob, I actually don't have a plan, I saw a staircase like this on tv and was just wondering if something like this could be done in chief, so I don't have a plan to show.  Im just excited it can do this so it opens up new design opportunities!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

You sre welcome. 

I am glad it worked for you.

Thank u

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Ok, I tried the recommendations but Im not having the same results.  Does anyone know why I cant seem to get the stairs and railings to have smooth transitions?  Is there something to select on the railings like I did the staircases?

Thanks in advance!

Turret Stairs.plan

You used a ROOM for your LANDING.  I wonder what would happen if you used a LANDING.

I am not sure it should make a difference.

Yusuf's method works for outside railings and for inside railings on "U" shaped stairs.  It doesn't work for the inside railing on an "L" shaped stair" or for contiguous connected "Landings".  

There are "geometric" problems that have to be considered for those cases.  CA development would need to do some additional programming to make it work in all cases.

• Provide a extension of the stair sections at "L" stairs (approximately 1/2 tread depth) at the landings
  • Recognize connected "Landings" (2 or more contiguous) as "Stair Sections"
  • Maybe a couple other possible conditions.

Interesting, looks like the stair tool is more particular then I thought.  Yeah Im not sure if it would change things if I changed it to landings, I will try that.  I wish chief could update its stair tool, its virtually unchanged but minor tweaks since version 9.

Thanks so much for everyones replies and help!

• Downvote 1

On 11/11/2019 at 7:14 PM, Designer1 said:

Interesting, looks like the stair tool is more particular then I thought.  Yeah Im not sure if it would change things if I changed it to landings, I will try that.  I wish chief could update its stair tool, its virtually unchanged but minor tweaks since version 9.

Thanks so much for everyones replies and help!

The "stair tool" is an antique when compared to the rest of the software.  This tool has needed to be "updated" for many, many years...I'm not holding my breath that it'll be "fixed" anytime soon...I gather it's just not that important or maybe just too big of a project for Chief.  

18 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Im putting optimism out there for some legendary new stair tool new from the top down with great tools and customization for X12!  :)

Yes...let's hope Santa Claus delivers on this.  (not holding my breath...):rolleyes: