New Flr Default Cl'g Hgt

ebdesign

Is there a way to get a newly built flr to have the cl'g hgt I want instead of what I get- 97 1/8"- & then have to change it?

Change it in the Defaults. The key is having a Default Plan that has - as many of us do - multiple floors already defined. For each Floor, you can have different settings (Structure Tab).

But if it's already built - NO, of course not!

Jim, I'm sorry I misspoke. IAE, when you build a new floor - Chief gives you the opportunity right then to specify what heights you want.

If you start off with a project that you know is going to have 3 floors - it's real easy to just "Build New Floor" twice. Scott and I both have 4 floors in our default plan - which is not really a problem because if you don't put any walls on a floor then it's just a place holder.

There are advantages to having "Blank Floors" such as the fact that you can build a 'Stair" from the 2nd Floor to the 3rd Floor even if you haven't already defined the walls on any floors.  Basically Floors in Chief simply define the vertical space.

Sorry if I sound grumpy. It's Monday after all.

I thought my question was pretty plain.

I do not build floors until I need them. I understand why some of you do.

I don't & neither do a lot of other users.

So can we move past that?

All I was asking was a way to preset the cl'g hgt value so that when a new flr is built, I don't have to change anything.

IOW, no clicks at all.

I don't think there is, but I thought someone might know of a way.

Hey Joe,

I can put stairs in that go to a floor that doesn't even exist.............yet.

I can draw stairs in the basement that actually start at the 2flr & go up.......or down

I can copy/paste stairs from one flr to another & not have them change vertically at all.

Just jerkin' your chain Joe. Trying to snap out of the Monday funk.

Jim, I don't think you can change the embedded (not sure if embedded is the right word) ceiling heights of the 2nd. floor on up unless you build blank floors as mentioned. I don't know why Chief changed their default 1st. floor to a 9' ceiling? It didn't used to be that way in earlier versions (like X2 and earlier). I have already changed it to an 8' 1st. floor ceiling in my profile plan.

even if you have template at the Height you want. but thats only for 1st floor.

when you add 2nd floor, it's always 97 1 1/8" again. 

i've trying to figured this our too.

Have a template plan with four floors with each floor height defined as you like.

I really do not know what the big deal about this is.  It seems from project to project I either have 97" first floor walls or 109" first floor walls or 101" hi first floor walls and then the second floor walls are either 97" or 109".  I know that for every project I will need to adjust the ceiling heights.  

It takes me about 7.23 seconds to set the ceiling heights ,  (I just timed it).

I just spent more time explaining this than it would take me to adjust the ceiling heights of the next 20 homes I do.  I am such a nitwit.

Ideally we would have a set of Defaults for each Floor (Level) and within that a set of Defaults for each Room Type (including user defined Room Types).  This is something that I requested before in the Suggestions Forum.  https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1278-defaults-per-floor-and-room-type/

But currently in X6 we don't have that.  So if you want different Defaults for different Floors (Levels) then you need to set it up in your Default Plan by having as many Floors as you might need - already defined with the Default Heights that you want.  I don't know how many times this needs to be said in order for it to be understood:

A Floor isn't really a part of the Model if there's nothing on that Level.  It's just a holding space for the vertical location.  By having the Levels predefined with default heights - you get what you want.

A lot of users don't want to add flrs until they're needed. When I need to go to the attic flr, I don't want to scroll thru 3 blank flrs to get there. All we're asking for is the ability to assign a default cl'g hgt of our choosing before a new flr is built w/out the workaround of extra flrs in our template that very likely will not be needed. We understand that it only takes a few seconds to change it, but that is not the point.
How many times does that need to be said, Joe?

"A Floor isn't really a part of the Model if there's nothing on that Level. It's just a holding space for the vertical location. By having the Levels predefined with default heights - you get what you want."

That's bologna! Chief calls 'em "floors", not "levels". I'm going w/ that. CAD Details are made to store stuff. Copy/Paste in Place (Control/Alt/V) between the plan & a CAD Detail works just as well (no, make that "better") as blank flrs w/out the trickery.
Even if the new flr took on the cl'g hgt of the floor below (like it used to work), that would be better than 97 1/8". (Does anybody use that 1/8" anymore?)

Perry,

I can think of a few different ways to get to the attic flr directly w/out scrolling thru all the existing flrs, I could use the Project Browser or the "Change Floor Reference" dbx or having that floor already open in another tab, etc.  But that's not usually how I move between floors. How do you normally move between floors?

And then there's...........

I need to go the the 2nd flr. But wait! the 2nd floor (or "level") is not really the 2nd flr. The 2nd flr is actually on the 3rd level.......or however you have it set up.

No thanks!

Perry,

I can think of a few different ways to get to the attic flr directly w/out scrolling thru all the existing flrs, I could use the Project Browser or the "Change Floor Reference" dbx or having that floor already open in another tab, etc.  But that's not usually how I move between floors. How do you normally move between floors?

And then there's...........

I need to go the the 2nd flr. But wait! the 2nd floor (or "level") is not really the 2nd flr. The 2nd flr is actually on the 3rd level.......or however you have it set up.

No thanks!

I have to tell you Jim,  if you are having this much trouble,  you might want to reconsider your methods.

Project browser to get to a level?  No thanks,  I use the arrow keys,  I am there before I have to think about it.

2nd floor actually 3rd floor?  I am not sure what you are talking about.  We are not in Europe where the 1st floor is actually above the ground floor and the basement is below the ground floor.  And the basement is actually 2 floors below the first floor.

Yeah Jim,  after rereading your post,  I can tell you are frustrated.  I am not sure if you are the only one,  but I can tell you I have no problem moving from floor to floor with arrow keys.  I have a sneaky feeling P. has no problems moving between floors.  As I said,  you might want to reconsider your methods.

But,  because you want it.......  HEY CA,  please allow us to somehow predetermine the ceiling heights of floors we will add in the future without having to determine after the fact.

Sorry if I sound grumpy. It's Monday after all.

I thought my question was pretty plain.

I do not build floors until I need them. I understand why some of you do.

I don't & neither do a lot of other users.

So can we move past that?

All I was asking was a way to preset the cl'g hgt value so that when a new flr is built, I don't have to change anything.

IOW, no clicks at all.

I don't think there is, but I thought someone might know of a way.

It is nor you these guys like to pick on people. Are you old? DSH love to pick on old people, he picks on me all the time.

..... he picks on me all the time.

That's because you are probably the only guy around here that is grumpier than me........  well.......  Jim is starting to give us a run for our money.

Jim,  still trying to work out this Michigan golf trip,  I have changed my mind so many times on the best way to deal with this,  would like to play at Traverse City Golf Resort,  but I looked on Yelp,  and there are a lot of bad reviews in regards to the resort...  I am so confused.