Create Custom Cabinet Door And Frame?

4hotshoez

Can I cut a groove into a cabinet frame with Chief? It will be a 1/4" bead that frames the inset door.

Also, how can I create my own cabinet door and drawer? We build custom often and it has been a pain to go through libraries to find nothing I need.

Create doors and drawers either in Sketchup or in a separate blank CA plan with p-solids and 3d molding lines if needed.

The only way I can think of to do beaded inset would be to make a door symbol with frame and beading. Would likely work using traditional overlay setting overlaps to be flush. But you'd have to make each face configuration needed. Bit of work and I have a hunch easier in SU

So far I haven't found it a problem with clients. If I did, would likely use 2020 instead. If I really needed it in Chief I might export cabinets individually out of 2020- ...nah, still a lot of work.

Creating what you describe (groove in the frame around the inset door opening) of a Cabinet isn't possible in Chief.  However, you can create a Symbol of this in Chief (or in Sketchup).  The Symbol would have to be designed as a piece of Furniture from Solids and then Blocked and saved (specified to treat as a Cabinet).

This is a bit complicated but it can be done.

The Doors and Drawer Fronts are easier since they can be directly converted to those Symbol Types completely within Chief.  The key is assembling the pieces of the Door or Drawer Front from solids.  There are some tools for adding/subtracting/merging solids so you can get "negative space" if needed.

If you need someone to do this kind of thing for you - I would be happy to discuss it (naturally I would need to charge a fee).  I'm pretty fast with this sort of thing so I don't anticipate that it would be very much.

Hey Todd,  I think you should change your avatar.  That is the dumbest avatar I have ever seen.  Every time I look at one of your posts,  I think the question you are asking relates to your avatar.  Take a clue from JC and use a picture of yourself (BTW,  that is an actual picture of JC,  I know you think it is Yoda,  but that is what Joe looks like).  

So come on Todd,  please fix your  avatar,  I will thank you many times over. 

And while you're at it, I think you need to change your login name too.  "4 hot shoez"?  I could maybe understand two hot shoes but where are you going to be wearing the other two?  I won't even comment on your lack of basic spelling skills but don't all architects actually need to go to college?  And what about your location?  Who the heck has ever heard of "Kalamazoo"?

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  :)

I tell clients I won't go any further than Sheboigan (sp?) didn't know where it was for the first year I said it :) not far from Kalamzoo

I did a quick check to make sure I wasn't talking out of my hat about 2020 since that was from a faded memory. I don't have the catalog that I thought would show beaded loaded and I don't really want to mess with 2020 if I don't have to. The inset catalogs I do have loaded won't show beads. Besides it is a lousy option.

I wanted to see just how bad it was to build one of these. Attached is a zip file with-

a calibz file containing one door symbol

and a plan where I made the symbol and then added a few cabinets to check it out.

All the parts needed are there.(Though in the long run I'd change the "frame" to 4 pieces to get grain to run properly.) So you can disassemble the floating door to see- poly solid, 3d molding, and a door. The molding profile is on the floor if you zoom in. forgot to add it to the catalog.

I then put in a few cabinets to see how it works.

In vector view there are lines between the cabinets since they are actually doors, even with "0" clearance.

You would need a ton of these one door for every drawer configuration. The upside is that once they  are built in Chief the actual door style being placed inside the bead can be changed easily enough.

Another problem would be combined cabinets - I do those standard in inset and specify the stiles so would need even more symbols to accommodate that.

With all of that said I like how it looks. If I ever get some spare time (or the right client) I may undertake making some more OR trying to find a simpler way to make it so it is easier to change.

To do it in Chief I would try first to make a beaded DOOR symbol.  In other words, take that plain flat-panel door and put the bead around it that you would get in the faceframe in real life.  You can do the door with zero margin, and make your 2.5mm or 3mm margin as opening-no-material stuff in the door.

The only problem with this method is that as the door gets scaled up or down, W or H or both, the bead size changes.

Inset cabinetry with beaded faceframes is a big deal in millwork-happy places like Maine, some other parts of new England, the environs around Minneapolis, and maybe out it the Pacific Northwest.  It is my favorite look in cabinetry.