Insert a New Floor on Completed Plan

misterwiley

I have a mostly completed plan with walls, roof, windows, framing (a lot of custom framing components), terrain, etc... I've currently got it setup with the following floor structure

Existing.thumb.PNG.233c005df08b68eaccc091fc8e9f4a17.PNG

What I would like to do is split the current Floor 0 into 2 floors like the following image. Where the little deck platforms are on their own floor and the foundation walls below would be on the foundation floor of 0. The image below is the end result I'm after with all the components of the plans staying in the exact same place they are now.

Required.thumb.PNG.b76f93500d2c579e1502d46c5d86c250.PNG

So the above request seems pretty straight forward by simply using the "Insert Floor" command right? Well no matter how many ways I try to skin this cat, I can't get all my windows, roofs, framing objects to stay put and not get completely screwed up like the following...

First image here shows what happens when I Insert a Floor whilst on floor 1. This creates a new 3rd floor. I then use the exchange with floor below command twice and get the result below.

655325537_ResultwithInsetFloorandExchangewithfloorbelow.thumb.PNG.024f8cb6a465159d180b334e5a60071f.PNG

Second image here shows what happens when I Insert a Floor whilst on floor 0. This creates a new 1st floor (GREAT) but non of the framing moves up in elevation, all my framing is sort of custom and uses absolute positioning for it placement. Do I have to redraw all my framing in order to get it back up to the level I need it to be on? I assume I will also have to completely redraw my foundation and lower deck levels.

1279954329_ResultwithInsertflooron0.thumb.PNG.60eb1e9c6865c765cf7d2ec18b95058f.PNG

I know there are a few topics on this subject but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how to make this happen without spending hours redrawing and modifying all the things that get screwed up in this process. Is adding a floor to an existing project suppose to be this much of a pain in the butt? I attached a plan file in case anyone wants to take a stab at it and show me a method that might work a little better then what I'm trying.

1311_Hamburg_Rd_-_Pricing_Set.zip

Oh. The attached plan is currently under the latest release of X11

1 hour ago, misterwiley said:

1311_Hamburg_Rd_-_Pricing_Set.zip

Oh. The attached plan is currently under the latest release of X11

javatom has the right idea

I would probably insert a floor below your existing foundation level, putting the decks on level 1...looks like you have walls that aren't using default top and bottom heights, you will need to address that- I dont see any custom framing aside from your columns that couldn't be auto-built, but you could always create a "framing only" layer set and group select your framing and then use paste/hold-position to copy and paste to a floor above...

but if the elevation heights are all correct, then insert a floor and split the 0 and 1st floor up in defaults and your framing should remain where it is

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

javatom has the right idea

I would probably insert a floor below your existing foundation level, putting the decks on level 1...looks like you have walls that aren't using default top and bottom heights, you will need to address that- I dont see any custom framing aside from your columns that couldn't be auto-built, but you could always create a "framing only" layer set and group select your framing and then use paste/hold-position to copy and paste to a floor above...

but if the elevation heights are all correct, then insert a floor and split the 0 and 1st floor up in defaults and your framing should remain where it is

How do you insert a floor below an existing foundation? I can only seem to insert it on top of the existing foundation floor. Thank you both for your advice so far :D

16 hours ago, misterwiley said:

How do you insert a floor below an existing foundation?

You can't - it is not allowed by Chief; you can't insert below the foundation level or above the attic level, so you'll have to work around those limitations.

18 hours ago, misterwiley said:

What I would like to do is split the current Floor 0 into 2 floors l

I just had to do this for a client yesterday. Ended up inserting a blank floor, zero height, at absolute zero, no floor and no ceiling to start with. Had screen shots of existing structure DBX. backclipped section and detail from veiw made from it, pasted the detail back in for reference, and a 3d cross section slider. After inserting made a room away from the house and adjusted the foundation 0 level rooms.
Did a quick run at yours yesterday and the clean up didn't look all that bad. I think having things set to absolute is better than from floor as on mine I had a couple of windows end up in the newly inserted room and had to move them. Used reference sets and adjusted layers to show what I need in plan views

The client did something different in the mean while-inserted new foundation level below but used foundation walls on level 1, haven't looked at that yet and not sure which is going to be easier to deal with for docs or finishing off the model.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, MarkMc said:

The client did something different in the mean while-inserted new foundation level below but used foundation walls on level 1, haven't looked at that yet and not sure which is going to be easier to deal with for docs or finishing off the model.

This is exactly what I'm after in the end. I think from now on I will always have all my foundation walls and foundation rooms on level 1 and the slab and footings on level 0. I think this makes con docs way easier in the end. The whole point of me trying to split them up is to make the documentation easier to understand for my engineer and builder.

In fact part of me wishes Chief would treat level 0 like they do the Attic level, in the since that it doesn't recommend rooms be created on the attic level and gives you a warning if you start drawing on the attic level. I haven't completely thought this through and it may of some side effects that I'm unaware of.

On the job I had it was the foundation level that had rooms. Issue was house is on steep slope and wanted to add another room below the foundation level (as a foundation) that overlapped an existing room on the current foundation level that is being demo'd and expanded. I'm pretty happy with how inserting a floor worked, only a little clean up (about the same as I found testing it on yours). I'm not convinced that using level 1 is wise but don't know yet the pros and cons. Will see when I get the revisions and have to go to docs. As a general rule if I can work within the prescribed parameter of the program I prefer that. Too many times have found a gotcha late in the game when mucking around.

I use the following:

• Foundation .... Level 0
  • Basement & Other Floors … Levels 1 - n
  • Attic Living Space... Level n+1
  • Attic ... Level A

Note that in my scheme the "First Floor" could be on either Level 1 or 2, depending on if there's a Basement.

Floor Numbers are not always the same as Floor Levels.

I always put my Terrain on the lowest level, usually 1, so that when I take floor perspective overviews in 3D and move down to the "basement" or level 1 the terrain will still be displayed. I then just adjust my terrains height above subfloor to what ever desired elevation for the "main level" of my house.