PLEASE FIX THIS! PROBLEM WITH CAD OR TEXT ARROWS

Renerabbitt

This is so aggravating to me. Placed a text arrow on layout sheet x, refreshed and reshaped a layout box on sheet Y...go back to sheet X and all of my arrows are all over the freaking place...so AGGRAVATING!!!!!!

Auto tail and head unchecked.

I've tried CAD blocking periodically to avoid this. CAD blocks slow down my program drastically. I don't need work-arounds or reasons why I should change my methods..this needs to be FIXED!! No reason an arrow on one sheet should have any relationship to anything on another sheet!

EXCLAMATION MARK EXCLAMATION MARK

I've lost so many hours on this.

arrows everywhere.JPG

• Like 1

+1 , thankfully I have not run into that but I don't usually anoint in Layout either...

Have you tried a separate Details plan for Standard/Typical Details and sending to layout from it?

They do this in the Sample Plan called Lake Point by Scoot Harris and there is also a Number of good Videos done to accompany the Sample plan.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

The last video on Condocs may get you a better Idea

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6193/construction-drawings-tips-and-techniques-lake-point-project.html?playlist=151

21 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

+1 , thankfully I have not run into that but I don't usually anoint in Layout either...

Have you tried a separate Details plan for Standard/Typical Details and sending to layout from it?

They do this in the Sample Plan called Lake Point by Scoot Harris and there is also a Number of good Videos done to accompany the Sample plan.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

The last video on Condocs may get you a better Idea

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6193/construction-drawings-tips-and-techniques-lake-point-project.html?playlist=151

Thanks KB, 

I have a ton of reasons I want to annotate in layout at the moment. Restructuring all of my details, updating them with better graphics as I go. Updating them to current and more stringent/detailed requirements. I'm also using 11x17 submitting(preference of main employer), which is a challenge to fit what I need to on a page. It makes this challenge a lot easier and faster when annotating in layout. Frankly, this is a problem in Chief, and a clear one.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Thanks KB, 

I have a ton of reasons I want to annotate in layout at the moment. Restructuring all of my details, updating them with better graphics as I go. Updating them to current and more stringent/detailed requirements. I'm also using 11x17 submitting(preference of main employer), which is a challenge to fit what I need to on a page. It makes this challenge a lot easier and faster when annotating in layout. Frankly, this is a problem in Chief, and a clear one.

No Problem at all,  I agree with you , but it maybe sometime before it is Fixed ( if ever) as I'd expect to have seen more complaints about it if this method was more of a common practice, so I was just suggesting another method.

Did you submit a ticket?  cos a Suggestion here won't get it fixed....Hopefully it does get fixed in the next release but that ain't till next year sometime.....

Mick.

Rene, 

This post sounds similar to your other post about layouts. At the risk of repeating myself, we would really appreciate your help in tracking this issue by logging a support ticket and sharing your files with steps to reproduce. 

The features don't sound as though they are behaving properly.

Thanks so much!

Rene,

This was a big issue quite a few versions ago (like around v10 or so, I think). This got fixed for the most part for plan files, but I guess it never got addressed for layouts. Sadly, since Chief announced quite awhile ago that there will be no more updates to X10, you are out of luck for this version. Maybe X11. Or not. After losing hours of work on stuff like this, many people just hit the wall and start looking around for alternatives. I suspect this issue could have been fixed in less time than the time you've already lost.

Just my 2 cents worth:

1. Use "Detail Plans" to scale.
  2. Do all annotation and dimensioning there .
  3. Save each Detail in a separate CAD Detail Window
  4. Use %view.name% for title (name in project browser)
  5. Place a scale (maybe even a graphic scale)
  6. Send required views to Layout 
  7. Don't use the Layout Box Label

All your details will then be current whenever you make a change - in all plans that are using those details.

IMNSHO this is by far the best way to deal with details. 

You can even copy pdf's into CAD Detail Windows

2 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Just my 2 cents worth:

1. Use "Detail Plans" to scale.
  2. Do all annotation and dimensioning there .
  3. Save each Detail in a separate CAD Detail Window
  4. Use %view.name% for title (name in project browser)
  5. Place a scale (maybe even a graphic scale)
  6. Send required views to Layout 
  7. Don't use the Layout Box Label

All your details will then be current whenever you make a change - in all plans that are using those details.

IMNSHO this is by far the best way to deal with details. 

You can even copy pdf's into CAD Detail Windows

I do the same except for #3.  I have all details in a separate plan that is s3nt to layout..  Much easier to manipulate and edit.

differnt strokes for different folks.

Had the same problem a few times before in different plans.

For example in one plan set consisting of a floor plan with CAD details/notes/arrows, roof framing plan with CAD details/notes/arrows, plumbing plan with CAD details/notes/arrows.

In a roof plan added CAD/notes with arrows to different items, in a plumbing plan of the same plan set added CAD/notes and moved items around.

Go back to roof plan or floor plan and the arrows in that plan have been moved around, the arrows have followed the CAD items around on the other layer set in the same plan set.

The only way I found to stop this happening is to block the arrows