Getting selection of items on locked and hidden layer

MarkMc

Did I change a setting that I don't know about? I've had occasional times when selecting items I get something from a hidden layer (which I don't think should happen) but now I'm also getting this architectural block-layer is locked and hidden, arch block layers are also locked and hidden. Is this normal? any ideas? TIA

Locked and hidden.png

10 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Did you just create the Architectural Block? 

What was the current CAD Layer when the Block was created?

Yes I created it, not sure but think it was created on that layer. In any case ALL cad layers are hidden, I checked all layers I made just on the off chance. All portions of the block are on the same layer as the block.

Rebooted, still able to select in all but one plan view.

Still can select it. Played with layers, closed chief without saving, reopened and can't select it.

BUT now I can select Room with that layer locked?5b218ce55d737_Roomlocked.thumb.png.ba320a18feaea9784250f315e0e9f22d.png

27 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

No not normal.  Please document and submit if you can.   Have you also been getting stuck selections ?

Not sure what you mean, by stuck? some oddities been going on.

2 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Not sure what you mean, by stuck?

I have submitted recordings of it to Brian but he is having difficulty reproducing and fixing the issue. It happened to DSH during a live workshop on his Mac that I recorded.  And it has been happening to me regularly, that while working with an item it will stay highlighted until you shut down the program.  Usually associated with a copy or move of an item but not necessarily. The program keeps on running but it is really distracting to work when something in your view is stuck on.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I have submitted recordings of it to Brian but he is having difficulty reproducing and fixing the issue. It happened to DSH during a live workshop on his Mac that I recorded.  And it has been happening to me regularly, that while working with an item it will stay highlighted until you shut down the program.  Usually associated with a copy or move of an item but not necessarily. The program keeps on running but it is really distracting to work when something in your view is stuck on.

Haven't seen that, will keep an eye out.

I moved it all to a new plan using edit area, import defaults and layersets (and setting the floors heights). Not so bad since it's a small plan (that I did not start). That appears to have solved the issue...maybe:unsure: Wonder if it was started from a legacy template or something, had odd plan views in it. (I hate it when they start a plan more when they ask for a hurry up). I'll check with the client when I can get hold of her.

I think this might be a case of a "Saved Plan View" that has some strange "Locked Layers" not consistent with the Layer Set.

That statement makes no sense but I don't know how else to say what I think is happening.

Try editing the Layer Set so all the appropriate Layers are unlocked and displayed.  Then save the Plan View.  Maybe that will clear up the problems.

21 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I think this might be a case of a "Saved Plan View" that has some strange "Locked Layers" not consistent with the Layer Set.

That statement makes no sense but I don't know how else to say what I think is happening.

Try editing the Layer Set so all the appropriate Layers are unlocked and displayed.  Then save the Plan View.  Maybe that will clear up the problems.

Along those lines, just ran into it in another plan. It appears to me to be- I have a saved plan view and associated layerset etc. If I make changes to the layerset they don't "take", IOW locked and/or hidden items can still be selected. However if I go ahead and save the save plan view then the locked and hidden items are no longer selected. Note that I'm generally locking and hiding using the ALDO. I don't remember this happening when just using annosets and I don't think it ought to work like this. Very confusing.

I was mistaken, saving the plan view does nothing. Opening and closing the layer display options makes the setting take. Apparently the ALDO is useless for locking- it shows locked, and hidden  (and it is hidden) just selectable?

13 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I was mistaken, saving the plan view does nothing. Opening and closing the layer display options makes the setting take. Apparently the ALDO is useless for locking- it shows locked, and hidden  (and it is hidden) just selectable?

Ahhhh…..

I never use the ALDO to change any of those settings.  I only use it to see what layers are being used.

To actually change any settings I use the LDO.

28 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Apparently the ALDO is useless for locking- it shows locked, and hidden  (and it is hidden) just selectable?

ALDO should be able to do anything LDO will do and it seems to work fine without the interaction with plan views.

There is still weird stuff happening with ALOD so if there is something documentable let's get it fixed.

39 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Ahhhh…..

I never use the ALDO to change any of those settings.  I only use it to see what layers are being used.

To actually change any settings I use the LDO.

Well I was mistaken again (besides I've been using the ALDO to change things since it existed without issue) I'm getting this problem all over, nothing works for more than a blink of an eye. I'm slammed until tomorrow, (this does not help) then will document, call support and pretty sure I'm going to roll back to the last release. I have not let WIN update in weeks so it ain't that.

On 6/13/2018 at 1:39 PM, Chopsaw said:

I've been seeing this a lot lately too.  Just haven't found the time to report anything.  Whats even more annoying is that sometimes I'm getting the "ghost" of the seemingly selected object where it no longer exists. 

"I see dead things.  They don't even know they're dead"

I think it has something to do with panning because every-time it has happened I have the little high five icon stuck on for a little while. 

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Whats even more annoying is that sometimes I'm getting the "ghost" of the seemingly selected object.  I think it has something to do with panning because every-time it has happened I have the little closed hand icon stuck on for a little while. 

Yes If it happens in 3D the selected item is visible right through the building.  Just had one in plan view by copying and then reflecting a cad line but it seems to have cleared itself after a while, which is rare.  Interesting about panning, I will have to observe that a little more closely.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here...I just did it on purpose somehow...

If you can do that again then maybe they will be able to fix it.   

It might be the pan action that is causing the ALDO issues but I think that is maybe a separate issue.

I've had this problem of trying to select something, such as a roof, and the curser picks something that is on a layer that is off, like a dimension, text, or wall. Locking layers does not help.  Seems to happen mostly when more than one plan view tab is open.

• 7 months later...

Bump. This is starting to happen to me on X10, current version. Trying to finish dimensioning a plan and I go to select something visible in the plan and pick up items that are "off" in the ALDO. Items vary - roof planes, sub-fascia, rafters, cameras, CAD lines - and the list goes on. Was this ever supposedly fixed?

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Are you able to record the events Mike ?

No, but I am trying different things as I go to see if there is a pattern. It does appear, at this point, that changing the on/off state of a layer in the current layerset "confuses" the ALDO to where it doesn't know what layers are on or off. I just got this new machine up and running and I "float" the ALDO off to the side, but on the same monitor. I don't know if that has a connection or not.