Shadows in Layout

wjmdes

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Is everyone sure that it's not the automatic blurring Chief does on purpose to make your drawing experience faster but when you print it , it's crisp as heck.? I never have that problem.

The PDF looks just as bad.....

3 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Is everyone sure that it's not the automatic blurring Chief does on purpose to make your drawing experience faster but when you print it , it's crisp as heck.? I never have that problem.

Yes I am sure Perry.  Do you have a layout file that does not display that way ?

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I am sure Perry.  Do you have a layout file that does not display that way ?

Yes all of them display correctly, but I really never think of it b/c they all come out great.

I remember there was a thread about this issue - related to the size of the building.  Since this is a commercial building Chief doesn't really spend the time fixing things like this.  If I remember correctly Michael showed how this is a real issue with larger structures (and/or terrain).

Added:

Looking back for that thread I can't find it, but I do see some notes that this problem was supposed to be fixed in an update.  There is a chance it crept back into X10.

if Michael sees this thread he will be able to give you a quick answer, as I think he even did a video to show.

I have been going through some house plans with this issue and have "checked" the "Edge Smoothing When Idle", that fixes it on those smaller files and it looks good.  Does not fix this file.....

Bill, Here is a 24" 600 dpi .png file that you are welcome to use if you like.  Even the Nome's are recognizable.

Also still willing to take a look at your layout file if you would like to send it in a backup format, just let me know.

Elevation View.png

3 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I have been going through some house plans with this issue and have "checked" the "Edge Smoothing When Idle", that fixes it on those smaller files and it looks good.  Does not fix this file.....

Its the SIZE of the structure/terrain that is doing this.   If you shrink down to the min size you need (maybe copy the file) you might see it work correctly.  Shrink the extra structure on the sides of the proposal along with the terrain and any objects far from the center.

15 minutes ago, johnny said:

Its the SIZE of the structure/terrain that is doing this.   If you shrink down to the min size you need (maybe copy the file) you might see it work correctly.  Shrink the extra structure on the sides of the proposal along with the terrain and any objects far from the center.

Any idea on what the cut off is?  And do you know if it is building size or the amount of detail?

16 minutes ago, johnny said:

Its the SIZE of the structure/terrain that is doing that.

I will look for Michael's video but there must be another factor as well because for me it won't even work on a 1200 sq ft plan.

1 minute ago, wjmdes said:

Any idea on what the cut off is?  And do you know if it is building size or the amount of detail?

Its a matter of the virtual size of the terrain/building.  What i remember about Michael's report on the issue is that the problem is progressive based upon size.  So, i think if you cut it back down to the main section of your proposal - along with the terrain etc - you should be fine.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

I will look for Michael's video but there must be another factor as well because for me it won't even work on a 1200 sq ft plan.

Did you cut out the terrain and everything else?  Its the size of the model or anything else in the model.

Away from my computer right now and that thread is gone.  As I recall though the problem in that thread wasn’t the offset shadows/fills but those rough edged shadows, and the problem was directly related to the FOOTPRINT of all VISIBLE objects.  It could be pretty easily controlled by simply turning off layers.  Not sure if that has any affect on this issue or not.

Also, FWIW, I absolutely see it too.  I think everybody has the problem.  Some people just don’t notice it or care enough. 

6 hours ago, wjmdes said:

So I have spent 80+ hours working on a remodel for a shopping center, and it looks great until I send it to layout. Below are just an enlarged portion

In plan file:

5b02eb7bd32b3_CAShadowBS1.thumb.JPG.239dd06bc12a9aa231f67eaa15a62b85.JPG

In Layout:

5b02eb8c3a8f0_CAShadowBSinLayout1.thumb.JPG.ab1a2ec2fd83939733a71c067949f1d0.JPG

I am sending all this to support, but I am in a foul mood that I have to send this garbage to a client.  Anybody have any suggestions while I wait on support?

Renderings look good!!

5b02ec28aa9de_Ulta-HG4.thumb.jpg.a2b61caa80604b86d79aef70aa92c05e.jpg

The layout looks pixelated compared to the plan view. 

Did you export to PDF at the highest resolution from layout yet?  Sometimes layout issues disappear when the final export to PDF is done. 

But what do I know. I never have nice looking stuff like this. I just create plans for permit. 

2 hours ago, johnny said:
2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Did you cut out the terrain and everything else?  Its the size of the model or anything else in the model.

Yes it does make quite a difference.  I CTRL + X 'd my terrain perimeter and updated the section view and it was significantly improved  with respect to the offset but unfortunately still a little blurry in my opinion. I then CTRL + ALT + V 'd to restore my terrain perimeter. That may give tech something to go on for a fix.

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Some people just don’t notice it or care enough. 

I started on the board and did that for 15 years and I am very anal as to what finished drawings should look like hence I did not get more involved in Chief until I had more control.  I see construction drawings others do and sometimes with 40 years experience, I can not read them, same line weights, everything on one sheet, etc.

I did come off a little hard on Chief today, maybe a little unfair.  But when something goes wrong, it is usually a major issue to find a solution.  I no longer use ACAD, except for maybe making the p-lines for the signs on this.  I just finished a Planet Smoothie in Color and it looks awesome. I actually think Chief is easier to use (after alot of experience.)  So I need it to work!!!!!!

15 hours ago, wjmdes said:

I started on the board and did that for 15 years and I am very anal as to what finished drawings should look like hence I did not get more involved in Chief until I had more control.  I see construction drawings others do and sometimes with 40 years experience, I can not read them, same line weights, everything on one sheet, etc.

I did come off a little hard on Chief today, maybe a little unfair.  But when something goes wrong, it is usually a major issue to find a solution.  I no longer use ACAD, except for maybe making the p-lines for the signs on this.  I just finished a Planet Smoothie in Color and it looks awesome. I actually think Chief is easier to use (after alot of experience.)  So I need it to work!!!!!!

oh, I care, just never see that but My 40+ years of drawing have been exclusively in residential, and have had some pretty big jobs.

9 minutes ago, DMDesigns said:

By using Live View to Layout and the Chief PDF maker - This is how it turned out on mine. 

BTW - GREAT JOB, That building is amazing..! 

WOW, where were you yesterday.  That is absolutely not what it looks like in the layout, before you send to PDF which I obviously never did..  I believe somebody mentioned something about Chief fixed something when sent to PDF, but did not realize it required "Live View".

So that puts me at a 90% happy!!  Now, I have to apply what I have learned, (i.e. line weights on elevations can be adjusted by layer set, did not know that).

FYI DMDesigns:  Thanks for the compliment, I actually do not like the Home Goods Side, but I was given prototype drawings to go by that were not very clear.  I googled their storefront, each image I found was a very different elevation and not one close to the prototype. So, that was the result.

Thank you all heaps.  This has been a great education for me and have found several techniques I can use going forward!!

Ulta Test.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Thanks Dave, that's why I don't see it as I always keep everything live

What you see on the layout and what prints to the PDF are NOT the same image.

10 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

of course it isn't, do you use the print preview in the print DBX.

What you see in Layout should be exactly what gets printed.  This is how 99% of programs work.  But now I know...

4 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

What you see in Layout should be exactly what gets printed.  This is how 99% of programs work.  But now I know...

a few versions ago Chief changed that on purpose so the software will be faster, like I said in an earlier post.