Saved Plan Views - Import and Export??

wjmdes

I do my plan views the way Perry mentioned, but as far as an actual import/export, that isn't possible at this point.  Put it in the "Suggestions" forum.  I had sent one before and the more people that ask for it, give is a greater chance to be put in (if possible).

I guess I don't understand why CA doesn't include import/export for these types of features automatically ?

why wait for requests and then many versions later to give something they KNOW everyone will want to have ?

if they truly are unsure they could ask before implementing new features ?

Lew

The best method I’ve found is to send all your plan views one by one to a special layout.  Then, one by one:

-Open the layout box dbx, take note of the Plan View Name, set the Plan View association to “None”, relink the layout box to your legacy plan, open the relinked view, and then Save Plan View As and give it the name you took note of.  Repeat as necessary for remaining views.  

I agree that an Import/Export option for Plan Views would be good but I suspect that is far easier said than done.  Plan Views remember a lot of things, amongst those things...

-X/Y location and zoom settings.  Importing and exporting these settings could very often result in plan views being focused on all the wrong places.  Not a huge deal but something to think about.  

-Floor.  This might be the most significant.  What if the floor doesn’t exist?  

-Referenced Floor.  Same as above.  

-Layer Set.  What if the layer set doesn’t exist?  And if the layer set DOES exist, what if it’s set up differently in the legacy plan?  What to do with any layers that exist in the legacy plan but not in the new plan?  What to do with the layers that exist in the new plan but not in the legacy plan?

-Annotation Set.  What if the Annotation Set and any/all of its defaults don’t exist?  

And if if you opt to import layer set and Annotation Set information, what exactly do you import/overwrite, and what other adverse affects does it have on that plan?  Anyone who has dealt with trying to import/export layer sets and anno sets probably knows how potentially messy that process can get.  

Anyway, I’m sure an import/export process can be developed but I think it’s not an easy task.  

• Upvote 1

-Layer Set.  What if the layer set doesn’t exist?  And if the layer set DOES exist, what if it’s set up differently in the legacy plan?  What to do with any layers that exist in the legacy plan but not in the new plan?  What to do with the layers that exist in the new plan but not in the legacy plan?

-Annotation Set.  What if the Annotation Set and any/all of its defaults don’t exist?  

Michael:

but Chief can already import/export layersets and annosets ???

so apparently, they deal with the issues ???

on IMPORT you get to choose which layersets to import and can select all of them

you can also choose to replace existing layersets or they will be added as new ones

annoset IMPORT gives lots of choices (see image)

I'm sure something similar could be done for plansets

Lew

CHIEF_ANNOSETS_IMPORT.jpg

So at the end of the day, the answer is "NO".  But in reality it takes, what.....5 seconds to create a "saved Plan View"?

I was just making sure I did not miss an import/export.  This is really a very good addition in X10.

I would bet if you polled all the power users who now use  the PLAN VIEWS ,  they will tell you that they take the SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME it takes to create the PLAN VIEWS in older plans.

I for one could not imagine going back and not using them.

In fact,  even if the PLAN VIEWS could be imported and exported,  I cannot imagine how they could transfer between plans with each plan file probably having a few unique layers.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dshall said:

I would bet if you polled all the power users who now use  the PLAN VIEWS ,  they will tell you that they take the SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME it takes to create the PLAN VIEWS in older plans.

I for one could not imagine going back and not using them.

In fact,  even if the PLAN VIEWS could be imported and exported,  I cannot imagine how they could transfer between plans with each plan file probably having a few unique layers.

I agree, saved plan views are very useful for me, getting around the plan is very fast now. If you use the plan views when sent to the layout, that's exactly what you see and if you use reference sets, you'll see how good it is vs. the old way--without them.