Basic Setup Questions

SNestor

Just wondering about line weights....

- When you send a view to layout, do you have to have lineweights turned on?  Or...can lineweights be controlled (on or off) in layout?

- For plan views...what line weight size is a good place to start.  Main layer vs Interior and Exterior Layers.  This has always been an issue for me.  For me...it's been trial and error.

Thanks...I know it's a basic setup question but maybe some answers from those that use the software everyday to make a living will help the rest of us save some time and get the software setup quickly and so it works. 

It's all relative to the drawing size you are using. For an ANSI D at 1/4" scale I use a line weight of 1 = 1/400 in

I set my wall exterior to 6, and interior to 4 or just main layer at 6

all layers in sections are set to 2

keep in mind you may need to re-do CAD details if you mess with your drawing sheet weights. 

You should setup for your most common sheet and scale sizing. or make a custom set for each setup- takes a ton of work to do

I understand how to set lineweights specific to each layer set...my question is more specific.

- When you send a view to layout does it matter if you have lineweights turned on or off?  I assume that the view goes to layout with the lineweights specified in the layerset...but, these can be turned on or off.  

- Also, if printing to PDF from layout...should lineweights be on?  Or does it really matter?  

Thanks all...I appreciate all the feedback.

I always have line weights on all the time. I just don't know what happens if you send to the layout with them off, but I don't think it matters as long as you have them set up in the layer sets you send with  each view. try it and see.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I always have line weights on all the time. I just don't know what happens if you send to the layout with them off, but I don't think it matters as long as you have them set up in the layer sets you send with  each view. try it and see.

Perry...thanks.  I think that is a good plan...and what I am working toward.   

Are the lineweights thicknesses that are represented when you are drawing a good representation of how they will appear at 1/4" scale in Layout?

My line weights are anywhere from 10 to 200 depending on what it is ,and I have separate and different line weights for different layer sets, like for sending elevations to the layout, windows and doors are thicker and roofs are thicker for effect. I think you need to adjust yours for what you like to see.     I just did them as I go along, then at some time you get it right then you won't have to change them again, When you get a new version , you will need to import your layer sets and layers.