Ray Trace settings Help X6

Gawdzira

A roof might stop that.

Yeah,  that would be my guess,  but I have never verified that would work.  This topic comes up  every 6 months and it seems like there is never a definitive solution.

I wonder if we could check it out if the plan was posted?  naiad......  hey P.  who is going to win the big game?  I say Denver.  They have the defense and the more experienced quarterback.  I bet a lunch and happy hour on the Broncos....  which typically means Denver will probably lose.

My guess without seeing the plan is that the scene is being lit by a single high intensity point light. Your first posted image has a huge blown-out spot on the ceiling. Try reducing this lights intensity and add some additional lights to more evenly distribute the light throughout the room. Keep in mind that as you add lights you will need to reduce their intensity so the total wattage (lumens) does not become excessive for the rooms size.

Graham

Dennis, I agree 115%. That light bleed, those light leaks, reverse shadows, whatever you want to call them are a huge nuisance. Annoying, discouraging, and sometimes downright impossible to fix. Often times the only solutions result in a much less realistic ray trace. I think this should be a really high priority on the list of things that need FIXING. Not talking about a new feature or an extra option. Just want what we already have to work correctly.

My sense is that this happens when the total amount of light in the scene is way to high or being emitted from a single point. I try to think about lighting, it's type and position from a photographers perspective. Raytrace is all about light, just as photography is if one ignores composition and artistic factors.

Interior photography can be a real challenge as the existing light fixture sources and the available light that enters a room through windows is rarely ideal. A professional photo shoot rarely uses the existing light fixtures as their primary lighting source. The first thing they do is pull out a light meter and scan the room to determine where light is way to intense or too low, too intense will blow-out the highlights and too low will hide details. They balance this out with additional lights and diffusers to even out the ambient light, on a really bright day they will place diffusers outside too cut down on the intense light streaming through the window. In many cases they also swap out the light bulbs in the existing fixtures to control these.

Once I started to think this way my raytraces improved significantly and when there was a problem it was much easier to look at the scene and identify the culprit.

Graham

Here is another example.  Exact same settings for each ray trace.  In one picture I removed the

dresser and desk.  Why am I getting a glow from behind the furniture???

I also get a red tint.  The exterior trim is in fact red but should not be coming into the room!  ;o(

CA, what can you do to stop this.  IT has been ongoing for quite a while now....

post-132-0-25449400-1454513240_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-99606400-1454513252_thumb.jpg

Dennis, looks to me like the room is being flooded with way to much light. The red cast is the result of light stricking the furniture and reflecting back onto other surfaces. You can see from the high intensity spot on the ceiling above the floor lamp that it is way to high in intensity. Also the exterior light coming in through the windows appears to be too intense, where the light strikes the floor the details are completely lost, it's just a bright white patch.

Graham

With all due respect Graham you are incorrect.  The red cast is still there when I remove the dresser and desk.  Besides they are brown not red.

THis light bleed things goes waaaaay back and has been complaineed about many times.  When Scott Harris was here last fall I showed it to him

in another plan and sent it in for him to look at when he got back to CA.  No solution.

Jintu - Really, same problem in Corona and Vray?  I don't think Thea has this problem.

Anyhow plan attached.  This is my house.  I started this model many years ago when

I did not know Chief nearly as well.  I have updated things some along the way but the entire

plan is not "finished".  There is some wonky stuff that needs to be fixed. Just ignore.

I just do what I want when I want it. The house is on the market now  and I

want to show some options for the existing office area.  This is a one bedroom option for the space.

there area is on the 2nd floor.

Gavin BU.zip

With all due respect Graham you are incorrect.  The red cast is still there when I remove the dresser and desk.  Besides they are brown not red.

THis light bleed things goes waaaaay back and has been complaineed about many times.  When Scott Harris was here last fall I showed it to him

in another plan and sent it in for him to look at when he got back to CA.  No solution.

I am not saying that the light bleeding does not occur. From what I have been able to deduce it has something to do with how the Raytrace engine deals with light rays as they bounce off of the ceiling surface. This is most prevalent when both the exterior lighting and the interior lighting are of high intensity. It can be controlled by making adjustments to the lighting sources and at times the ceiling surface properties. Unfortunately I have not downloaded X8 and as such I am unable to look at your posted plan.

Graham

Here is an example of what I mean when the lighting is way too intense.

The 1st pic is straight from Chief Raytrace, 1 pass, about 50sec.

The 2nd pic is the same as the first but 10 passes.

Notice that the only difference between the 1st & 2nd pic is that the increased passes just refine the pictures overall quality. There are no drastic changes in the lighting per say.

Most first pass Raytraces posted show the lighting to be way too intense. Raytace is not really designed to correct lighting.

Believe it or not, there are only two area (3D) lights plus the sun for this scene. The area lights are only at 4% intensity.

Graham

post-4793-0-80745000-1454610633_thumb.jpg

post-4793-0-25474100-1454610634_thumb.jpg

Dennis - here's one with some light bleed. Not as severe as yours but still the same issue. See top of window casing, bottom left tub corner, where glass shower panel meets ceiling, left of window wall shelves and a few other places.

This is a first single pass. If you compare to the first image I posted above you can see that I was able to adjust this out with a minor change. Yours is very extreme, however I am certain it could be fixed.

Graham

post-4793-0-61687400-1454617266_thumb.jpg

Jintu - Really, same problem in Corona and Vray?  I don't think Thea has this problem.

Anyhow plan attached.  This is my house.  I started this model many years ago when

I did not know Chief nearly as well.  I have updated things some along the way but the entire

plan is not "finished".  There is some wonky stuff that needs to be fixed. Just ignore.

I just do what I want when I want it. The house is on the market now  and I

want to show some options for the existing office area.  This is a one bedroom option for the space.

there area is on the 2nd floor.

By lowering the intensity of the sun, I was able to decrease some bright spots in only 11 passes, it could be gone with more.

post-121-0-95064400-1454625368_thumb.jpg