2 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

The backdrop in this project is effectively heavily forested.  I tried deleting the backdrop (Full camera view & 3D defaults) and it keeps coming back.  I'm obviously missing something, again!

snip_20180310142457.thumb.png.275f6562fcb5a00bcdb3652418c22203.pngsnip_20180310141845.thumb.png.35dbed6fdfb1a71b32611b88d371118d.png

Do you have a terrain? If so the green cast could be from it. When in camera view uncheck terrain in the Active Layer Display  Options DBX.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Do you have a terrain? If so the green cast could be from it. When in camera view uncheck terrain in the Active Layer Display  Options DBX.

Too caught up on the backdrop. I had a gazillion trees on the terrain.  Each of the backdrop and the trees produced the greenish color.  And removing them is not a viable option.  So, as you mentioned before, adding some lighting to the rooms rebalanced things.

Thanks for pioneering this.

3 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Some PC's are capable of Running Hackintosh (Mac OS on PC hardware) but support varies on the Hardware , you'd need to do some research 1st as it may not work with just any PC, some PC Motherboards handle it well , not sure about Nvidia Graphics and the MAC OS support though as I am the complete opposite of you ...I have never used a MAC ( except fixing several ) or any Apple Product for that matter , I started with a Commodore 64 , Tape Drive and an old TV :)

https://www.macworld.com/article/3196994/macs/how-to-build-a-hackintosh.html

https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/26/hackintosh-macos-gtx-1080-ti-build-performance-video-part-1/

https://9to5mac.com/guides/hackintosh/

M

Thanks for that info, but I would probably run the software native on whatever system I'm using. I do run Chief on a PC, the HP laptop, but prefer the Mac.

Haha, my "first" computer was a TI 99/4A. Spent some time with basic programming on that jewel.

ti-994a.jpg

Then moved to a Radio Shack TRS-80... WITH dual 8" floppy drives, that contained all program and user data. No hard drive.

hwimage-model-ii-rsc03-%5B26-4001%5D-(rs

Yeah, I'm old. :P

Here's an example where everything is according to the default settings versus just making some minor changes to the sun, Camera Exposure, Hue, Saturation and Brightness. Everything else is default and all objects are from the core library catalogs, now changes were made to the material properties.

I placed a selection of lights all as per their defaults. The recessed lights are spread evenly throughout the space. The total lumen output of all lights is 29,218, the square footage of the room is 635 square feet, this equates to an average of 46 lumens per square foot.

Scene 1 as per CA Defaults & Generic Sun

5aa45a2a20631_Room_DefaultC1.thumb.png.8e3d6ffc9625845d8cd57309fab4dfbe.png

Scene 1 with Sun @5,000 Lux, Camera Exposure 0.25, Hue -4, Saturation -10, Brightness 30

5aa45a2b15178_Room_DefaultC1_Sun5000_CApoint25_Hue-4_Sat-10_Brt30.thumb.jpg.676b49ad935a6852503295bda0ad9af2.jpg

Scene 2 as per CA Defaults & Generic Sun

5aa45a2ea9cf3_Room_DefaultC2.thumb.png.41811d1da4ddd998ecdd88643d100275.png

Scene 2 with Sun @5,000 Lux, Camera Exposure 0.25, Hue -4, Saturation -10, Brightness 30

5aa45a2f91e7a_Room_DefaultC2_Sun5000_CApoint25_Hue-4_Sat-10_Brt30.thumb.jpg.3b4eae98a36df6ed8ab377effcd40cf0.jpg

The Hue and Saturation adjustment was primarily done to reduce the color cast. The sun intensity, camera exposure and brightness are of greater significance. 

Looks like they made some Changes with Materials Definitions in today's Update (20.1.1.1) , worth reading the Updates File for other fixes too

2.1 3D Rendering
• Fixed a problem that prevented material textures from displaying correctly on some
Mac systems with Intel graphics chipsets.
2.2 Ray Tracing
• Fixed a problem that could cause black squares to appear in ray trace images in some
cases.

In 20.1.43 (final) it mentions some stuff too...

3.17 Materials
• Roughness and Material maps can no longer be specified for material classes that do not support them.

• Fixed an issue where material Roughness controls could become enabled when a roughness map was applied.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, Kbird1 said:

Looks like they made some Changes with Materials Definitions in today's Update (20.1.1.1) , worth reading the Updates File for other fixes too

3.17 Materials
• Roughness and Material maps can no longer be specified for material classes that do not support them.

• Fixed an issue where material Roughness controls could become enabled when a roughness map was applied.

Just a heads up CA has announced new materials and Glass that works in Ray Trace....bad news is Glass in PBR will remain the same apparently ....

• 3 months later...

Has PBR improved with regards to glass reflections since this thread was started or am I doing something wrong here? There is nothing in the upper cabinets. Glass is the standard glass out of the library. Great reflections off the back splash though :rolleyes:

glass reflection.PNG

5 hours ago, warrenwest said:

Has PBR improved with regards to glass reflections since this thread was started or am I doing something wrong here? There is nothing in the upper cabinets. Glass is the standard glass out of the library. Great reflections off the back splash though :rolleyes:

glass reflection.PNG

As far as I know nothing has changed in regards to glass. I set it as a general material, adjust he transparency at your liking and I then add a bump map if I really want to get crazy with it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

As far as I know nothing has changed in regards to glass. I set it as a general material, adjust he transparency at your liking and I then add a bump map if I really want to get crazy with it. 

Lowering the roughness below about 13% will also add to the Reflections I have found..

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have  4-5 Glass Materials to which I have added a green tint, progressing in depth of color. I do this so that glass shelves may be seen through cabinet door glass. It's also useful for showers and shower doors.

Depending on the use, you may want to give it an emissivity of 1 to brighten things up. In the future, I hope to futz a bit less with materials using PBR, but I love it! For my use, it saves me a good bit of time (over RT) because I can still edit an object if I see something not quite right.  

• Like 1

Definitely liking it more than raytrace, not just due to the fact that I'm saving countless hours of raytrace time, but the end result tends to be better in most cases once you get the hang of pbr settings and how to manipulate the lights and materials properly....still a learning curve ahead but so far i'm satisfied and so are clients!

****edit

Only issue I take with PBR is that glass has no realistic texture, nor does water....with water you can work with it kind of, glass is a whole other mess though...which it would do the trick like it does with metals

On 7/27/2018 at 2:01 PM, limitless8 said:

Some pbr exteriors and covered porch

Absolutely!  Especially the first one (for me)

Puzzled by the strong light reflection off the ceiling on #2 ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cv2702 said:

Absolutely!  Especially the first one (for me)

Puzzled by the strong light reflection off the ceiling on #2 ?

Thank you for the comments!

As for picture #2, the light that is heavily reflecting or shinning onto the ceiling is the same exterior type ambient light I used in #4.  I guess i forgot to turn it off or lower its lumens, they're supposed to be just exterior lights that make the house shine )

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to follow the suggestion of adding 3D external lights to lighten the shadows on exterior PBR scenes, but I must be doing something wrong as the additional 3D lights I added don't seem to make a difference, no matter how strong I make them. I currently have the sun set to 26,000 lux and have tried various 3D light intensities up to 40,000 lux, but the I still get the dark shadows from the sun.

I have attached the PBR render and the plan. 

Thanks much! 

image.thumb.png.e90225d25f152b89f0d72e04e2dd662c.png

Test plan.zip

29 minutes ago, AlvarD said:

I'm trying to follow the suggestion of adding 3D external lights to lighten the shadows on exterior PBR scenes, but I must be doing something wrong as the additional 3D lights I added don't seem to make a difference, no matter how strong I make them. I currently have the sun set to 26,000 lux and have tried various 3D light intensities up to 40,000 lux, but the I still get the dark shadows from the sun.

I have attached the PBR render and the plan. 

Thanks much! 

image.thumb.png.e90225d25f152b89f0d72e04e2dd662c.png

Test plan.zip

I downloaded your file but do not see the plan once the rar file has been extracted?  If you give it a look over and send it again, I'll gladly give it a go. 
Plus first question, is your goal a night/evening scene with external 3d lights, or are you talking about a daytime scene?

I've encountered this before, open the adjust light DBX, in lighting mode you have it set under automatic to 40 lights. Change this to "Light Set" Default. What's happening is that the exterior two area lights are not being used under the automatic setting, must be a bug. You can now adjust your sun and area light intensities to get the shadow depth you are looking for. You can just uncheck the lights you don't need.

Test.thumb.jpg.0b817eaa241deabbfc977e6d9c62c17e.jpg

My goal with the external lights is just to soften the strong shadows from the sun in PBR, as I had seen the effect that Graham had posted.  Graham, I tried your suggestion of changing from lights from Automatic to "Light set" default in the Adjust light DBX, but it didn't help. Perhaps it's a bug that I need to report? 

Thanks very much for your assistance! 

1 minute ago, AlvarD said:

My goal with the external lights is just to soften the strong shadows from the sun in PBR, as I had seen the effect that Graham had posted.  Graham, I tried your suggestion of changing from lights from Automatic to "Light set" default in the Adjust light DBX, but it didn't help. Perhaps it's a bug that I need to report? 

Thanks very much for your assistance! 

You need to adjust your sun and light intensities to get the proper ratio. The pic I posted shows that it works. Open the PBR DBX, set the Camera Exposure to 1, set the Brightness to 100%. Turn off all of your lights and then set the sun intensity so it looks correct, about 2 Lux. Then turn on your 2 exterior area lights and adjust them to soften the shadows, around 100 Lumens.

• Like 1

Well in that case, wherever you want the shadows to be less apparent, place some added lights, play around with height and lumens, turn off shadows, and when you have the camera set up, in light set choose new, name it whatever, turn on those added lights and see what happens

• Like 1

Thank you SO much Graham! That did the trick. I don't get exactly what you got (my shadows under the porch are stronger than yours), but it's very close, and MUCH better than with the default PBR settings. 

image.thumb.png.d7478579ae027a3874d1293b955c1377.png