Ok, I added an edge profile to the counter top and decided the wine glass needed to be filled. Not 100% photo realistic, but I'm being tempted to reach in there and have a sip of wine :)

5aa011ca2c612_Untitled9fb1200.thumb.png.f3af04f14bf3593bad89b35350cebbec.png

This playing around has been an interesting exercise and has definitely proven to me the advantage of PBR'ing over Ray Tracing. The virtual live rendering made it possible to create a more complex scene and fine tune material properties and position objects. This would not have been particle with Ray Tracing having to wait several minutes or more to see the impact every time I made a change.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Ok, I added an edge profile to the counter top and decided the wine glass needed to be filled. Not 100% photo realistic, but I'm being tempted to reach in there and have a sip of wine :)

5aa011ca2c612_Untitled9fb1200.thumb.png.f3af04f14bf3593bad89b35350cebbec.png

This playing around has been an interesting exercise and has definitely proven to me the advantage of PBR'ing over Ray Tracing. The virtual live rendering made it possible to create a more complex scene and fine tune material properties and position objects. This would not have been particle with Ray Tracing having to wait several minutes or more to see the impact every time I made a change.

Part of me likes that more than a raytrace - nice job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

Part of me likes that more than a raytrace - nice job.

Thanks Johnny. At this stage I will not be doing any more Ray Tracing. This PBR'ing is a lot more fun and addictive. I'm far more satisfied with the results than I ever was with Ray Trace. Will be very interesting to see how far this PBR thing can be pushed. They definitely need to fine tune the material properties and of coarse a lot is going to depend on the quality of the models.

Here's the latest PBR example. A few more decorative elements and a bit of lighting adjustment.

5aa02cf6bf015_Untitled9gb1200.thumb.png.e6925963e52766c3fb455a36fa205e8d.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I've also wondered about whether or not CA should use the Kelvin standard. If you need it just google RGB versus Kelvin and you will find conversion charts that will give you the common RGB values for many types of light sources/conditions.

I think this is one you linked last Year Graham ......

https://academo.org/demos/colour-temperature-relationship/

5 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Yes, they should adjust these light specifications to be more relevant to real life. The way they are now, one has to do this every time and then save the light to our user library. Clutters up the user library and I believe it causes problems as many users assume the lights have been preconfigured for the best result, which never actually seems to be the case.

I have to agree , there seems to be no correlation between real life metrics and the CA Library Items which is what everyone expects... ( and needs )  it feels more like there was a Time crunch and it was easy just to replicate the symbols one after another with all settings the same except with the Diameter changed eg 4" 6" etc....

PS I was referring to you  4" potlight from the Core Library being corrupt possibly?  mine is 1200 lumens by default. The one I had trouble with were saved in my User library and maybe even be from X7 or earlier

M.

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Looks good , the wine glass filled does work :) .... can the Bottle not be a little more transparent or translucent?

How about a simple Eased edge on the Countertop instead of that lambs tongue or Ogee moulding , the Detail is lost in the pattern of the Marble it seems but maybe just the camera angle?.

M.

13 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Looks good , the wine glass filled does work :) .... can the Bottle not be a little more transparent or translucent?

How about a simple Eased edge on the Countertop instead of that lambs tongue or Ogee moulding , the Detail is lost in the pattern of the Marble it seems but maybe just the camera angle?.

M.

The wine is a French Bordeaux, would you prefer something a bit lighter?

This is one of the major issues when trying to get as realistic as possible. It's an endless game of cat and mouse. As one item gets better the other items that were ok before now need to be tweaked once again.

I just grabbed a common Ogee profile, something a bit more up to date like a simple eased edge would have been a better choice. The client did not want to pay the extra for a miter built-up edge profile. I know they will be disappointed when they see the marble grain disjointed along that edge face seam.

7 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

The wine is a French Bordeaux, would you prefer something a bit lighter?

This is one of the major issues when trying to get as realistic as possible. It's an endless game of cat and mouse. As one item gets better the other items that were ok before now need to be tweaked once again.

I just grabbed a common Ogee profile, something a bit more up to date like a simple eased edge would have been a better choice. The client did not want to pay the extra for a miter built-up edge profile. I know they will be disappointed when they see the marble grain disjointed along that edge face seam.

Told you your Clients were better ...mine would only get a Malbec :)

The Glass looks great , but the Bottle seems to be a red material that isn't giving the same look as the glass was all I meant .

Never been a Fan of the Ogee Counter Edge myself , and you are right it can look bad if the joint isn't done well and is really thin. It's one of the Reasons I like

1 1/4" / 3cm Quartz these days.

M.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:
1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I think this is one you linked last Year Graham ......

https://academo.org/demos/colour-temperature-relationship/

I believe so. Here is another one.

http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/light.html

I made a Light Source Values Chart for myself from PlanetPixel, so here is the PDF if someelse can use it too.

Real World Light Sources in RGB Numbers.pdf

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Told you your Clients were better ...mine would only get a Malbec :)

The Glass looks great , but the Bottle seems to be a red material that isn't giving the same look as the glass was all I meant .

Never been a Fan of the Ogee Counter Edge myself , and you are right it can look bad if the joint isn't done well and is really thin. It's one of the Reasons I like 1 1/4" / 3cm Quartz these days.

M.

The Bordeaux was what they bought for themselves, when it comes to pricing on the project they often have a Mateus budget.:wacko:

The 1 1/4" definitely solves marble vein problems. What I dislike with that thickness of material is the depth of the exposed edge on the sink cut-out, prefer 3/4". I have more and more clients shifting to a more modern/contemporary look and they want even thicker looking counter tops. The last two bathroom vanities were 4" and have another on the drawing board now. The only option is a built-up miter edge profile, no option but to pay the upcharge.

LOTS of great information in this thread. Thank you to all who have participated.

To me the existence of PBR and its eventual/possible replacement for Ray Tracing in Chief begs a question about newer Chief computer specs. It used to be all about cores and CPU power to get the ultimate RT machine and I guess bigger/more cores etc. will always be better/faster but does the new PBR engine change the equation in any way? Is there a setup that considers PBR at the expense of RT? Is it now more cores the not so better and a faster CPU rules the day? Memory? Graphics card? Where should the emphasis be for our brave new PBR world?

Just now, HumbleChief said:

LOTS of great information in this thread. Thank you to all who have participated.

To me the existence of PBR and its eventual/possible replacement for Ray Tracing in Chief begs a question about newer Chief computer specs. It used to be all about cores and CPU power to get the ultimate RT machine and I guess bigger/more cores etc. will always be better/faster but does the new PBR engine change the equation in any way? Is there a setup that considers PBR at the expense of RT? Is it now more cores the not so better and a faster CPU rules the day? Memory? Graphics card? Where should the emphasis be for our brave new PBR world?

From my testing it's more reliant on the GPU, just went through this and had to upgrade my video card. I'd say right now that a 1060 will handle the PBR needs, mine now renders in 2 - 3 seconds and I typically have a lot of lights. Memory is also important as a PBR image needs between 1 - 2 GB for each active PBR camera. I would recommend that the graphics card have 6 GB and your system memory should be 16 GB. That way if you blow the video card memory it can share system memory before resorting to the page file swap. As far as CPU's go it looks like most current hyper threaded 4 or 6 core ones will be more than adequate, just get the fastest single thread one out of the bunch.

18 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks Graham,

Chief did a great job with this feature and hopefully it will only improve with age.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is the way to go. Just a bit unfortunate that the implementation of this feature was not handled better. There should have been some documentation on this and more effort to adjust the material properties so they rendered properly.

If I was to advise CA I would suggest they really knuckle down and focus on all of these annoyances, not just those related to PBR'ing but all of the other ones that are prevalent throughout this software. Personally it's a bit of a shame as these constant annoyances undermine the true greatness and potential of this software package.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

If I was to advise CA I would suggest they really knuckle down and focus on all of these annoyances, not just those related to PBR'ing but all of the other ones that are prevalent throughout this software. Personally it's a bit of a shame as these constant annoyances undermine the true greatness and potential of this software package.

True that - but not that optimistic.

6 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

What I dislike with that thickness of material is the depth of the exposed edge on the sink cut-out, prefer 3/4".

Strange it would seem my Forums Emails stopped this morning sometime , there are 4-5 replies in this thread alone I wasn't notified about....

Per the above have you asked the Countertop Fabricator if they can Router out the lip around the Sink hole , so the exposed edge is only 3/4 ?  would seem do-able to me.

To say the Documentation on PBR is Sparse is a understatement , a big one...there is not a single Reference to Physical Based Rendering in the Reference Manual , nothing in the

online Knowledge Base and Still only one Video , which I suspect use Our settings from the Forum :)

PS. EVGA offers extended warranties for the 1st 90 Days Graham $20  I think to extend it to 5yrs , $30 for 10yrs. Their Video Cards used to come with a lifetime Warranty , which was why I initally bought them years ago. I don't think the StepUp Program will be much use to you , since you said the 1060 is the most your computer can handle.

42 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Per the above have you asked the Countertop Fabricator if they can Router out the lip around the Sink hole , so the exposed edge is only 3/4 ?  would seem do-able to me.

To say the Documentation on PBR is Sparse is a understatement , a big one...there is not a single Reference to Physical Based Rendering in the Reference Manual , nothing in the

online Knowledge Base and Still only one Video , which I suspect use Our settings from the Forum :)

PS. EVGA offers extended warranties for the 1st 90 Days Graham $20  I think to extend it to 5yrs , $30 for 10yrs. Their Video Cards used to come with a lifetime Warranty , which was why I initally bought them years ago. I don't think the StepUp Program will be much use to you , since you said the 1060 is the most your computer can handle.

As most of my clients choke on my fabricators cost I just inform them of the pro's and con's, provide the specs and let them source and deal with the fabricator of their choice.

Yes, the whole introduction of the PBR feature was poorly handled. It's not just the fact that this feature was not ready for prime time but also that it's premature implementation had a negative impact on the existing Ray Trace function, and as such those of us who upgraded were left scrambling around trying to find a way to get things fixed. Very time consuming and frustrating to say the least. It's also disappointing that throughout all of this there has been little if any input from CA in respect to this, it should not really be our responsibility to stumble around in the dark trying to figure out how a feature they devised is supposed to work. Sorry for the rant, but if something like this had happened in past corporations I've worked with I can assure you there would have been pink slips handed out the following day.

I'll check into the warranty, thanks for the heads up.

• Upvote 1

Hello fellow users,

I am liking the pbr camera, thanks to all your testing and adjustments!  Shout out to Graham, Mick, Larry

I have experienced a weird siding color disparity in a railing wall using the same exterior wall type. The siding on the bottom of the railing wall where it covers the floor system.

It doesn't seem to matter if its a solid railing type or baluster type.

I just reported it to tech support.

siding-problemCapture.JPG

1 hour ago, MPDesign said:

Hello fellow users,

I am liking the pbr camera, thanks to all your testing and adjustments!  Shout out to Graham, Mick, Larry

I have experienced a weird siding color disparity in a railing wall using the same exterior wall type. The siding on the bottom of the railing wall where it covers the floor system.

It doesn't seem to matter if its a solid railing type or baluster type.

I just reported it to tech support.

siding-problemCapture.JPG

I have encountered times when the same color seems to render differently, usually as if it's a shade darker. I have found that clicking on it with the Rainbow tool and then closing the DBX resolves the issue. Might work in your situation., 

hi Graham

I did try that and it didn't work. Even tried different cameras from different angles to test. No difference

Thank you, can post a copy of plan if needed.  

I agree with the all the comments about this feature not ready for release. Also super dispointed it broke the raytrace capability! I do mostly exterior raytrace and its all messed up. 

2 minutes ago, MPDesign said:

hi Graham

I did try that and it didn't work. Even tried different cameras from different angles to test. No difference

Thank you, can post a copy of plan if needed.  

I agree with the all the comments about this feature not ready for release. Also super dispointed it broke the raytrace capability! I do mostly exterior raytrace and its all messed up. 

Have you tried toggling the enhance lighting quality in the PBR DBX. I have found times when having this on creates some weird effects, especially when one gets that total white out. Also, what happens if you toggle the sun off or reduce it's intensity?

If you post the plan I will take a look to see if I can spot anything.