15 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

One store has an open box one with 10% off, that would almost cover the tax.

Well I guess that means they allow Returns then :)   and  EVGA has good RMA if needed ( why i was ok with going 2nd hand) , I'd take the discount :), ask if they can do it for $500 all in.... ( don't ask , don't get)  though I guess if it is a bad Card , C.C. would replace if under 15days or 30 days or whatever anyway...

Do we need to go back and delete our videocard pots or is this good info for others to find?

M.

8 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

This looks like the one I'll purchase. $489.00 

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming ACX 6GB (06G-P4-6163-KR)
1607 Mhz Base/ 1835 MHz Boost, 8008 Mhz Memory
PCI-E 3.0 16x, DVI-D, HDMI 2.0, 3x DP

They have 4 stores within a 20 minute drive and 8 units on the shelf. One store has an open box one with 10% off, that would almost cover the tax.

Hi G.

it's usually a good idea to run DDU before swapping Cards and then reinstall the latest Drivers after the Reboot

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Once you register the Card and have you EVGA ID sign in,  you can download Precision X too.

M.

My new GTX 1060 is up and running. As predicted, my PBR generation time has dropped down to about 2-3 seconds for a scene with about 40 active lights, this is at least a 400% - 500% improvement over the replaced GTX 745. The new one also has 6GB versus 4GB of dedicated onboard memory which can handle a few more active PBR camera views before needing to use shared memory or the page file system. So far my systems limited 300 watt brick power supply seems to be handling the draw, no crashes yet.

Choked on the price, about $575.00 CDN taxes in, but if it extends my systems usefulness for maybe 2 more years then it will have served it's purpose.

Now with much improved computer performance PBR'ing is becoming fun to use and it seems to me that it's likely time to bid Ray Trace a "Happy Retirement".

Takes a bit of time to learn the new material properties, lighting and the sun but it is well worth the investment in time.

5a9ebb9837077_Untitled31200.thumb.png.accf7f38ba0b284402ed7f96f9ceb15c.png

I love the PBR quality of being able to make changes on the fly with near -0- wait. I can't wait to get it all figured out! 

Here are 3 techniques of the same shot, what am I doing wrong to have RT change the hardwood floors so much?  Why does PBR change the wall and left arm of the loveseat? 

Can you point me in the direction of good training videos (more than the few 2-3 min long on sun angles and PBR)

Polly Berry PBR 1.jpg

Polly Berry Render 1.jpg

Polly Berry RT 1.jpg

12 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

I love the PBR quality of being able to make changes on the fly with near -0- wait. I can't wait to get it all figured out! 

Here are 3 techniques of the same shot, what am I doing wrong to have RT stain the hardwood floors to walnut? Why does PBR change the wall and left arm of the loveseat? 

Can you point me in the direction of good training videos (more than the few 2-3 min long on sun angles and PBR)

Polly Berry PBR 1.jpg

Polly Berry Render 1.jpg

Polly Berry RT 1.jpg

The scene I posted above uses the wide plank walnut flooring in the core library, have you tried it?

The wall and left arm of the love seat are changing due to the sun's intensity level and angle of entry into the room. In PBR'ing the sun plays a much more important role than it did in Ray Tracing.

I don't believe there are any decent video tutorials. CA has one but I certainly did not find it to be of any real value.

The first scene looks to be the best one, try the walnut hardwood in that one and maybe a few tweaks to the camera exposure, brightness and saturation in the PBR DBX.

Thanks, Graham. 

I'll try adjusting the Sun & its intensity for the PBR.

The materials are most like the middle picture (blond floor) Behr grey walls.  (Of course, the furnishings are just a figment of my imagination.)

. I am baffled with the floor change in RT, though.  Appreciate the direction, ~C

3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

My new GTX 1060 is up and running. As predicted, my PBR generation time has dropped down to about 2-3 seconds for a scene with about 40 active lights, this is at least a 400% - 500% improvement over the replaced GTX 745. The new one also has 6GB versus 4GB of dedicated onboard memory which can handle a few more active PBR camera views before needing to use shared memory or the page file system. So far my systems limited 300 watt brick power supply seems to be handling the draw, no crashes yet.

Choked on the price, about $575.00 CDN taxes in, but if it extends my systems usefulness for maybe 2 more years then it will have served it's purpose.

Nice ......I figured that was why we didn't see you Yesterday :)  the Prices certainly make you cringe especially since the Card was released at $349 , mine is the same MSRP is $499 and it is selling for $750-800 right now...if you can get one.

42 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

There is only one longer CA Video on PBR , as far as I am aware ?  which basically says the same as this thread does , ie 100 Auto lights etc.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/2426/physically-based-rendering-technique.html

Graham is the Source of most of the Imformation we have and then playing around , but PBR tends to "colour" the light if the background is too strong , eg too much greenery ( greenish tinge) or Sunsets ( orangey) etc

RT no longer has good Reflective Properties for the materials , they changed all the materials for PBR , Graham started another thread on that in the Chatroom about a month ago.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16427-x10-beta-reflective-material-definition-missing/

*** Oh and make sure to run the Library Catalog Update a few time a week they are constantly Updating Materials in an attempt to catch up with PBR Materials definitions too.

M

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Nice ......I figured that was why we didn't see you Yesterday :)  the Prices certainly make you cringe especially since the Card was released at $349 , mine is the same MSRP is $499 and it is selling for $750-800 right now...if you can get one.

Thanks Mick. As expected it wasn't just "plug & play". I lost all of my calibration adjustment so I had to go through all of that again, did not pay full attention when I did a clean install of the most recent Nvidia drivers.

There have been some other benefits beyond PBR'ing. My vectors and elevations are much nicer, lines are very crisp. Also, in the material definition DBX the little tea pot is far more representative, if I zoom in on it a bit I can see my material adjustments.

So far I'm very pleased with the upgrade despite the price gouging.

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Thanks Mick. As expected it wasn't just "plug & play". I lost all of my calibration adjustment so I had to go through all of that again, did not pay full attention when I did a clean install of the most recent Nvidia drivers.

There have been some other benefits beyond PBR'ing. My vectors and elevations are much nicer, lines are very crisp. Also, in the material definition DBX the little tea pot is far more representative, if I zoom in on it a bit I can see my material adjustments.

So far I'm very pleased with the upgrade despite the price gouging.

I had to redo my Calibrations last week too after the new card arrived , but that was expected , I was pretty sure you'd see a marked difference with a 9 or 10 series Nvidia Card though.  I usually use the Cube , as I am not usually RTing or PBRing  curved surfaces that much as I don't tend to "accessorize" my Renos unless my Client really needs to be "sold" on something.

M.

34 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Thanks, Mick, I appreciate you, ~C

you're welcome :) .

Melissa got a response from TS , she shared this morning on Ray Tracing here , but basically they say to make materials either more than 50% roughness or less depending on what you want to happen with reflections

Basically in the latest build of Chief Architect (20.1.0.43) if the roughness of a material is under 50% you will get reflections which slow down the ray trace and cause more speckling. Materials that you don't need to have perfect reflections on you could modify to have a roughness over 50% which will speed up the ray traces.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16990-ray-trace-in-v9-vs-v10/?do=findComment&comment=145083

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Another big advantage with PBR'ing. It's much easier to be more creative with your camera view angles. As it's virtually live you can compose your shot very quickly. "What you see is what you get".

5a9ed2d55b06f_Untitled81200.thumb.png.21667a54a86a3be38a3ee1e49ad3943a.png

5a9ed2d8367a0_Untitled91200.thumb.png.d7a8e8058853738e3cf5c80251e7d35d.png

I catch some standing on my Granite Island like that and I'd have them killed :)

Do you have Rene's 4x16 white tile with Bump-map he did for me ? looks quite good ......

Are the Pendant's in the Library ?

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I catch some standing on my Granite Island like that and I'd have them killed :)

Do you have Rene's 4x16 white tile with Bump-map he did for me ? looks quite good ......

M.

Like any good photographer would, I used a ladder ;)

No I don't have that bump-map. I just used the texture file and set it at 0.05, probably a bit too much as it's also raising the grout on the horizontal lines.

Was pleased with the hardwood, again maybe a bit overdone but it all depends on the angle of the light as to how pronounced the look is.

1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I really like the chrome (or stainless?) in the pendants, Graham. Is that material OOB CA?

That's just the standard Chrome Polished, material class Shiny Metal.

Specular - 98%

Roughness - 10%

Comes out quite nice. Lighting plays an important role, I've got 88 active lights in this scene, about 35 of them are area point lights at very low intensity used to control the overall ambient lighting.

40 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

No I don't have that bump-map. I just used the texture file and set it at 0.05, probably a bit too much as it's also raising the grout on the horizontal lines.

It was the grout lines I noticed .....He made one for me last year           (...thanks @Renerabbitt ),

I can't find the Thread now so I exported it ....here it is....

The Pendants are one of Chief's?    they do look good.....wish I had your Clients :)

PS time to update your Sig. :)

ReneR_4x16_Bump White Tile.calibz

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It was the grout lines I noticed .....He made one for me last year           (...thanks @Renerabbitt ),

I can't find the Thread now so I exported it ....here it is....

The Pendants are one of Chief's?    they do look good.....wish I had your Clients :)

ReneR_4x16_Bump White Tile.calibz

Thanks Mick. They look really nice. Thanks Rene for sharing.

5a9ee1d82c877_Untitled9eReneTile1200.thumb.png.f9d04d6d19eeb92a035020341b6db6c7.png

This is also just another example of how quick PBR'ing is. Just a few minutes from importing the calibz file to final output.

23 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Thanks Mick. They look really nice. Thanks Rene for sharing.

5a9ee1d82c877_Untitled9eReneTile1200.thumb.png.f9d04d6d19eeb92a035020341b6db6c7.png

This is also just another example of how quick PBR'ing is. Just a few minutes from importing the calibz file to final output.

Much nicer :)

3rd time lucky.......  is the Pendant one of Chief's ?  if not do you mind sharing it pls.

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Much nicer :)

3rd time lucky.......  is the Pendant one of Chief's ?  if not do you mind sharing it pls.

M.

Agree, it's a good demonstration that this PBR thing has some real potential if given the right materials.

The Pendant is from CA, Harper Pendant, Lighting No.06 Bonus Catalog.

7 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Agree, it's a good demonstration that this PBR thing has some real potential if given the right materials.

The Pendant is from CA, Harper Pendant, Lighting No.06 Bonus Catalog.

Yes I am a bit surprised , that they have not updated all the basic materials at least ( ie 3x6 standard cabinet backsplash) , since they obviously knew PBR was coming a year ago...

Thanks , I have the Pendant now , I have found that Kohler's Polished Chrome Material worked well too in PBR , in the Bathroom I just did.

M.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes I am a bit surprised , that they have not updated all the basic materials at least ( ie 3x6 standard cabinet backsplash) , since they obviously knew PBR was coming a year ago...

M.

Agree, they definitely should have been better prepared with the library updates.

I also wish that there was some better explanation concerning settings and their effect. For example, I use the library recessed mini can most of the time. The default intensity setting is 1,637.807129 lumens, how on earth did they decide on 6 decimal places. Also, where can one purchase a standard residential spot type light bulb that puts out this lumen level. A standard 4-6 watt LED spot bulb outputs no more than about 550 lumen, a good old MR16 could do maybe 900 lumens.

The 6" down light has a default of 1,200 lumens, not sure how a 6" puts out less light than a 4". The 6" has a cut off angle of 175 degrees, not sure I have ever encountered a residential spot light bulb with that great of a spread, especially if it is up inside the can.

The default sun intensity is 100,000 lux, but if you watch that video a setting around 26,000 is suggested. Personally, at 100,000 it's like the flash of light from a nuclear blast illuminating your home. I understand that some users may want to crank it way up, but why is this the default?

Light intensity was changed from watts to lumens, I heard that it was done as Lumens are more relevant. Agree that with LED's watts are obsolete. But these lumen defaults don't seem to be relevant to anything I can associate with.