1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Very well done, Graham. The first three certainly blur the line between true photo and graphic. Had I not been following this thread I would have thought the first three were photos if seeing for the first time. I appreciate all of your hard work in this area. Maybe X11 will build on your, and others, dedication to PBR.

Thanks, but just to clarify, the first three of the 5 pics are actual finished project site photographs, the 4th one was may original Ray Trace back in 2015 and the 5th one is the PBR from the plan I posted. If I could get as good as the 1st three I could retire instead of being semi-retired.

16 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Thanks, but just to clarify, the first three of the 5 pics are actual finished project site photographs

I wondered why the finish in the cabinets was different as well as the table and chairs from the previous pics. I thought maybe in your "tweaking" you just changed those too. Still, you have certainly made PBR much more interesting since it first came out.

3 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I wondered why the finish in the cabinets was different as well as the table and chairs from the previous pics. I thought maybe in your "tweaking" you just changed those too. Still, you have certainly made PBR much more interesting since it first came out.

There may be some differences as I changed the glass in the windows to demonstrate reflectivity in glass on exterior views. This new reflective glass altered the amount of light contribution from the sun into the interior and as such materials will show differently.

1 hour ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Thanks, but just to clarify, the first three of the 5 pics are actual finished project site photographs, the 4th one was may original Ray Trace back in 2015 and the 5th one is the PBR from the plan I posted. If I could get as good as the 1st three I could retire instead of being semi-retired.

OOPS !  my bad ..... it would seem the mistake was mine and has confused people..... I will change my other post to reflect this so others aren't confused.......

Still Impressive work I think....

M.

Graham, Thanks so very much for sharing and letting us delve into your glass(es) and other materials.

Here's a PBR that I had done - but was not especially happy with the glass of the vase and the Dining Light Fixture. And, The same camera with Graham's Crystal Glass (my library name for it). applied to the vase & light fixture. WOW! What a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

Excellent, Graham, Thank You!

Ocala Kit Addition PBR 7.jpg

Ocala Kit Addition PBR 7 - Using Graham's Crystal Glass.jpg

10 minutes ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

Graham, Thanks so very much for sharing and letting us delve into your glass(es) and other materials.

Here's a PBR that I had done - but was not especially happy with the glass of the vase and the Dining Light Fixture. And, The same camera with Graham's Crystal Glass (my library name for it). applied to the vase & light fixture. WOW! What a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

Excellent, Graham, Thank You!

Ocala Kit Addition PBR 7.jpg

Ocala Kit Addition PBR 7 - Using Graham's Crystal Glass.jpg

Cheryl, you are more than welcome. If you wish to alter the glass effect, play with the texture stretching X/Y planes and the amount of bumping. Also, how it appears will depend upon how it is being struck by the surrounding light.

If you wish the glass look to be less defendant upon your other lights open up one of the wine glasses on the main table. I converted them to an electrical light symbol. Each glass has two attached light sources to control the glass effect. If you shift the light source positions or adjust their intensity you will see how it effects the glass appearance. Also did this to the wine bottle, it's actually an electrical light fixture with 4 light sources.

You could for example take the vase, symbol convert to a light fixture and assign lights to it.

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Cheryl, you are more than welcome. If you wish to alter the glass effect, play with the texture stretching X/Y planes and the amount of bumping. Also, how it appears will depend upon how it is being struck by the surrounding light.

If you wish the glass look to be less defendant upon your other lights open up one of the wine glasses on the main table. I converted them to an electrical light symbol. Each glass has two attached light sources to control the glass effect. If you shift the light source positions or adjust their intensity you will see how it effects the glass appearance. Also did this to the wine bottle, it's actually an electrical light fixture with 4 light sources.

You could for example take the vase, symbol convert to a light fixture and assign lights to it.

These are very interesting ideas with pro-active PBR fiddling instead of waiting (and praying) on RT.

I noticed that you added a molding line to the table to get the slight greenish edge - sweet!

1 minute ago, Cheryl_C_Crane said:

These are very interesting ideas with pro-active PBR fiddling instead of waiting (and praying) on RT.

I noticed that you added a molding line to the table to get the slight greenish edge - sweet!

Good Catch - The plain straight edge on the model just looked bad. Yes, I added a molding and changed it's color slightly from that of the main top. Would have likely come out better if I had deleted the glass top surfaces out of the symbol and then used a custom counter top with an edge profile as the top.

Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

Good Catch - The plain straight edge on the model just looked bad. Yes, I added a molding and changed it's color slightly from that of the main top. Would have likely come out better if I had deleted the glass top surfaces out of the symbol and then used a custom counter top with an edge profile as the top.

Great idea! ~C

Graham, thanks for the glass texture! It certainly looks much better than anything I had tried with PBR. 

Unfortunately, playing around with you plan has really shown me how woefully inadequate my current system is to do a lot of PBR optimizations. It takes me more than a minute from when I open one of your kitchen PBR cameras to when the render is complete, and any small change I try to do after that takes around 30-40 seconds minimum. It's very painful... I will definitely have to upgrade at some point, and from reading the results that you and others noticed in PBR render times after upgrading, I know it will help a lot! 

Thanks, Alvar

Due to some disappointment when I uploaded my plan including the original pics of the project, I went back in and made some further lighting and material property adjustment. I also adjusted the image size and perspective to be more aligned with the actual photograph.

Actual Real Photograph

5bccf12809c53_Abode_Gallery_MLP_Residence_OakvilleON_Kitchen1.thumb.jpg.23e24fbc41f3f43f460ffd32631155ad.jpg

X10 PBR Version

5bccf13d721a2_LP_Kitchen_PhotoMatch2copycopy.thumb.png.502339b938184e83300fea5e398c129c.png

Interesting case of life imitating art.

Was there a roof on the house where the actual 

photograph was taken? ;)  It looks like we have 

light bleeding between the cabinet crown moldings

and the ceiling. Maybe Chief is on to something?

7 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Interesting case of life imitating art.

Was there a roof on the house where the actual 

photograph was taken? ;)  It looks like we have 

light bleeding between the cabinet crown moldings

and the ceiling. Maybe Chief is on to something?

That couldn't be caulking, could it ... :mellow:

Do you really need an elaborate lighting setup to generate a decent looking PBR ?

This example uses only the generic sun. Intensity 4,000 Lux, No Backdrop, Background Color = Black (0,0,0), Camera Exposure = 1, Brightness = 100%

5bcf30853225d_Untitled9AAAaa.thumb.jpg.523d7a4e359f7011a1191e2ec1e10f0d.jpg

If the scene is too bright just reduce the Camera Exposure. I dropped it to 0.12

5bcf3343e67bb_Untitled9AAAaaa.thumb.jpg.e848d0c9590bfec2456f2d70bfe64ab3.jpg

8 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Do you really need an elaborate lighting setup to generate a decent looking PBR ?

This example uses only the generic sun. Intensity 4,000 Lux, No Backdrop, Background Color = Black (0,0,0), Camera Exposure = 1, Brightness = 100%

5bcf30853225d_Untitled9AAAaa.thumb.jpg.523d7a4e359f7011a1191e2ec1e10f0d.jpg

If the scene is too bright just reduce the Camera Exposure. I dropped it to 0.12

5bcf3343e67bb_Untitled9AAAaaa.thumb.jpg.e848d0c9590bfec2456f2d70bfe64ab3.jpg

Now I think you are just teasing me :) ...nicely done BTW

Is that 1.0 for cam. exposure or .1  ?  with it set to 1.0 and a black background in my test plan the Windows are Jet Black but the sun looks like it is streaming in....weird effect as it looks like it is night time outside... (though way over exposed inside).... but your windows appear to be "normal" , is that just the Window treatments causing that then?

image.thumb.png.c904fdc6351793c5ba3445d298129a52.png

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Now I think you are just teasing me :) ...nicely done BTW

Is that 1.0 for cam. exposure or .1  ?  with it set to 1.0 and a black background in my test plan the Windows are Jet Black but the sun looks like it is streaming in....weird effect as it looks like it is night time outside... (though way over exposed inside).... but your windows appear to be "normal" , is that just the Window treatments cause that then?

image.thumb.png.c904fdc6351793c5ba3445d298129a52.png

What is the intensity of your sun?