Build A Chimney From The Basement Floor To Roof

riverroad

Could someone please explain to me how to build an exposed chimney in the basement and up through two floors behind walls and go through the roof?

Thank you in advance.

Jonathan

Edited by riverroad
perhaps description was not clear enough

23 hours ago, lbuttery said:

it has always amazed me that Chief doesn't have a chimney tool

simply amazing :(

Lew

I think they have many chimney tools.   You need to know which ones to use for the particular fireplace you need.

there are many threads on the subject posting a myriad of methods.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dshall said:

I think they have many chimney tools.   You need to know which ones to use for the particular fireplace you need.

there are many threads on the subject posting a myriad of methods.

Nailed it.  If I could give you more than 1 point I would.  To me, asking for a dedicated chimney tool is not unlike asking for a dedicated "Addition" tool.  I mean we draw up additions all the time right?  Why not have a tool for it? Click addition, change a couple settings and badaboom...addition.

• Upvote 1

Big Sigh.  Now I'm remembering why I stopped participating on Chieftalk!  Here we have a Q&A post getting sidetracked into first a feature request, and then an argument about it.  

Riverroad Jonathan,

How ya' doin'?  Did you get your chimney built?  I don't know how new you are - do you know how to do a polyline solid?  If you do it as a "room", do you know how to copy and paste floor to floor?  And/or did you find the post Mick refers to?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, WendyatArtform said:

Big Sigh.  Now I'm remembering why I stopped participating on Chieftalk!  Here we have a Q&A post getting sidetracked into first a feature request, and then an argument about it.  

Riverroad Jonathan,

How ya' doin'?  Did you get your chimney built?  I don't know how new you are - do you know how to do a polyline solid?  If you do it as a "room", do you know how to copy and paste floor to floor?  And/or did you find the post Mick refers to?

don't let them scare you away Wendy :) , I for one was glad to see you back here this week.... I really enjoyed your Video Tips last year, I was hoping you might do more...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Michael:

sorry but you are being absurd

90% or more chimneys follow a defined form

and with dbx settings that "standard" form could be easily chosen

and framed etc

just like stairs

just my opinion

Lew

Maybe in your world 90% of chimneys follow a standard form but this is simply not true in my professional experience and your assertion that its somehow ridiculous that Chief doesn't have a dedicated tool for the purpose along with a complete lack of any sort of help otherwise can only serve to further discourage someone who is obviously having problems already.

Truth is that chimneys can have any number of shapes and characteristics...

• They can be a plain rectangular shape from top to bottom
  • They can have a continuous slope top to bottom
  • They can have an irregular slope top to bottom..possibly even different slopes on the different sides
  • They can have any number of irregular profiles top to bottom
  • They can have an irregular profile shape looking down from above
  • They can be completely masonry with the main structure built around them
  • They can be framed with a masonry veneer
  • They can be continuous top to bottom
  • They can be constructed between floors
  • They can be constructed outside the main structure
  • They can be constructed inside the main structure
  • They can have multiple flues that follow a straight path
  • They can have multiple flues that follow irregular paths
  • They can have different finishes and different structures on the various sides
  • They can serve multiple fireplaces or ovens on any number of sides and on any number of floors
  • The fireplace openings can be an endless variety of shapes and sizes
  • The hearth(s) can be an endless variety of shapes and sizes
  • The hearths can be part of the chimney or can be separate
  • The chimney may be a veneer and it may be real
  • The chimney could serve as a chase for items that are not even related to the chimney at all
  • The Chimney structure could even completely change as you make your way top to bottom...masonry to wood/veneer to metal.
  • The chimney could simply serve as a chase for metal pipe, it could have a clay liner, or it could have both
  • The cap could be endless variety of configurations..some integrated into the chimney and some not...
  • The list could go on

My point is that chimneys are really more akin to any other room than they are to stairs (which BTW is probably Chief's single most complained about tool) and can have an endless variety of different configurations.  I think a person would be well served learning to just use the tools we currently have to model the chimney as it will be built. 

Jonathan,

It would really help to SEE what you're talking about.  Like I said, there are a ton of different ways Chimney's can be built.  You can utilize:

• Walls as Mick suggested (with or without room definitions I might add)
  • Windows, doors, doorways, and pass throughs
  • Room definitions as Wendy suggested
  • Holes in floor and ceiling platforms
  • P-solids, solids, slabs or other primitives
  • Moldings
  • Etc.
  • Etc.

The best method depends entirely on the SPECIFICS.  If you really want to make some progress on your query then I suggest you get involved and start out by answering Eric's question...

On 9/2/2017 at 4:37 PM, solver said:

What does it need to look like?

Michael:

you might as well tell me that Chief doesn't need a stair tool

I have my opinion(s) and will stand by them

its up to CA to decide if a chimney tool is needed

so far they have decided not ...

whenever the subject arises I will state my opinion and you can state yours

Lew

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the quick responses and passionate opinions on the subject.

The chimney starts in the basement at the floor and travels up through the first and second floor internally.
It has a firebox and exposed brick below a mantel on Floor 1. See attached Photo.

It is framed on all four sides on the first and second floor so I don't really need much of a visual until it penetrates the roof.

I do not really need to focus on the chimney, I am doing my best to recreate an existing home to impress the customer with a realist 3D view of their home, before I design an addition.

I wanted to get the framing around the chimney correct so it translated properly to the interior walls and room sizes. (being a purest I wanted to create the chimney as well)

At this point, I really don't care if there is nothing in the cavity/chase between the floors.

I must admit I am a little surprised CA does not have something. With the capabilities of the program, for example the ability to calculate the materials list: cubic feet of concrete for my foundation with rebar, it even can call out the number of 2x4's, 2x6's, Rim joist, Floor joists etc.

So much for having bricks and mortar called out on the materials list!?

I will review all the links and ideas you have enlightened me with, however I must now start my drawing over completely because I drew my foundation first and then my walls.

Thank you all
Jonathan

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

Edited by riverroad
Removed inflammatory comments

4 hours ago, riverroad said:

Here's an example plan file and image, you can dig around in the plan file and possibly find what you need..there are a lot of different methods that could be used. this method required auto generate roof and then manually editing, along with pony walls with exposed brick as well as walls with a layer of drywall over the brick. You would also need to play with settings to achieve a multi story flue if that was needed

59b09695b9527_FireplaceExample.thumb.png.9f92d9bb50c86d07c5647f0f97473d37.pngChimney Example.plan

• Upvote 2

Riverroad, the point is that is can be done, is being done. There are no stops or barriers other than what one agrees are stops and barriers. Whether or not Chief has or does not have a "Chimney Tool" is a matter for the "Suggestions" area. As long as you have Home Designer Pro or Chief Premier and you really want to build a relationally correct fireplace chase you can do so, now with what you have for tools.

In terms of your materials list and foundation design, in most places in the USA you must be a State Licensed Structural Engineer in order to design a foundation. If you are such a licensed professional you could then design a foundation and have it show properly in a Materials List. The materials list in Chief and Home Designer merely measures how well YOU created the 3D model and it is as useful a product as the quality of your 3D modeling of the measured structure. Only incompetent users complain about missing tools and features, the rest of us just do our work with the tools at hand.

DJP

Only incompetent users complain about missing tools and features

David:

seriously?

then every one making a suggestion is incompetent ?

I have seen some very heavy power users making suggestions ...

CA welcomes suggestions

I think your statement is WAY out of line :(

Lew

Jonathan / Riverroad,

If you drew your foundation first, I assume that means you drew it on Chief's First Floor?  If so, you don't have to start over.  Watch Chief's videos to learn how to create floors.  Combine that with the use of Copy and Paste/Hold Position and you can transport everything you drew as foundation on the first floor to Chief's basement, and so forth with other floors.

• Upvote 1

OK - my last 2 cents here:

About the topic:  One last tip - if you visually make a chimney using polyline solids (I usually work in elevation, to get the right offsets...) - you can also make sure the framing is correct by drawing a rectangle for the hole in the floor, select it - Convert Polyline (tool will show up at bottom of screen) and have it be Hole in Floor or Hole in Ceiling as needed.

About Suggestions, general etiquette etc:  I'm going to start a new thread purely on that topic.