GLOBE-Res

Chief Architect 9.5 - Loading on my new computer

My computer suffered a rapid power cycling of 4 times and screwed it up, so, I had to go buy a new computer.

So, I have version 9.5, that I guess was for a 32 bit computer.  I also have a USB hardware lock.  I was fine with that version. It worked, it was paid for, it did what I needed, no muss, no fuss.

But, it won't acknowledge the usb hardware lock on the new computer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

You must go and download updated drivers for the dongle for Windows 10 or whatever you have or no go. I dual boot with Windows XP and Windows 10 where I use XP for antique software.

DJP

• Upvote 1

I have no idea how do do that.

Ho do i "dual boot"?

Where do I go for drivers?

Gosh I'd love to get this all running.

I miss my old puter :(

If you hunt around you can find an old XP computer to run Chief 9.5 on

and use the new computer for other activities

Lew

Ok so what if my other computer is a 64 bit computer that was running windows 7, if I'm not mistaken, that computer won't load the program because the program is built on a 32 bit os platform.  Is there a way to change the software to run on a 64 bit os?

If I buy the X9 outright for $2695 today, what happens 12 months from now?  Do I have to buy it again or can I use it as is as long as I want?

I bought version 8, then upgraded to version 9.0, then version 9.5.  I haven't needed to upgrade since.

But, my computer suffered a boot up problem because of a bad storm and I was forced to buy a new computer.

The new computer won't run the v9.5 Chief.

And to make it worse, the new Chief won't load my 9.5 projects.
I'm really ticked off.  I have a lot of projects that are now of no use.  That's so F'k up.  I can't even complete 4 projects started in Chief just in the last few months.

So, I'm forced to either buy new Chief software or go to another program.  That old 9.5 was just fine for me.  I didn't need to upgrade. 

So, If I buy the X9 this year, am I forced to upgrade or will I be able to get as many years as I want out of it?

20 minutes ago, GLOBE-Res said:

If I buy the X9 outright for $2695 today, what happens 12 months from now?

Just as you have not upgraded past 9.5 you can stay with X9 for as long as you like, it is a personal decision, there are no absolutes.

There is NO good reason to do anything other than to get Chief Premier 9.5 installed and running on your new PC. It does require some persistence by you but others have done this successfully and you can to. There is no reason why you cannot just repair your old computer and then just drive on also. Just decide what you want to have happen and then do what is necessary to make it so.

DJP

Software has no guarantees to run "forever"

software is designed for the OS that was available at that time

who knows what the future will bring

do as David suggests or find an old XP computer and load 9.5 on it

Lew

8 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

In theory you could get a hasp driver from  http://www3.safenet-inc.com/support/ and create shortcut and set compatibility mode.

Others have reported that they have done as above and also say that Version 9.5 runs fine otherwise (what they mean by "fine" may or may not agree with your definition of "Fine" but that is what several other Chief Users have reported here within the last year or so. AS I have said, I went the dual boot route where 9.5 and other versions created to run in XP actually do run quite well.

Windows XP is still the third most used operating system worldwide but I would NEVER use it for internet browsing as it has way too many security weaknesses for that these days. But is fully capable of supporting applications that were designed to run within it.

DJP

>Windows XP is still the third most used operating system worldwide but I would NEVER use it for internet browsing as it has way too many security weaknesses for that these days.

The weaknesses were not just in a browser, but network drivers (SMBv1). If you use file shares XP can only do v1s.

But there are also countless security issues. I would not recommend.