Chief Architect 9.5 - Loading on my new computer

GLOBE-Res

My computer suffered a rapid power cycling of 4 times and screwed it up, so, I had to go buy a new computer.

So, I have version 9.5, that I guess was for a 32 bit computer.  I also have a USB hardware lock.  I was fine with that version. It worked, it was paid for, it did what I needed, no muss, no fuss.

But, it won't acknowledge the usb hardware lock on the new computer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok so what if my other computer is a 64 bit computer that was running windows 7, if I'm not mistaken, that computer won't load the program because the program is built on a 32 bit os platform.  Is there a way to change the software to run on a 64 bit os?

If I buy the X9 outright for $2695 today, what happens 12 months from now?  Do I have to buy it again or can I use it as is as long as I want?

I bought version 8, then upgraded to version 9.0, then version 9.5.  I haven't needed to upgrade since.

But, my computer suffered a boot up problem because of a bad storm and I was forced to buy a new computer.

The new computer won't run the v9.5 Chief.

And to make it worse, the new Chief won't load my 9.5 projects.
I'm really ticked off.  I have a lot of projects that are now of no use.  That's so F'k up.  I can't even complete 4 projects started in Chief just in the last few months.

So, I'm forced to either buy new Chief software or go to another program.  That old 9.5 was just fine for me.  I didn't need to upgrade. 

So, If I buy the X9 this year, am I forced to upgrade or will I be able to get as many years as I want out of it?

20 minutes ago, GLOBE-Res said:

If I buy the X9 outright for $2695 today, what happens 12 months from now?

Just as you have not upgraded past 9.5 you can stay with X9 for as long as you like, it is a personal decision, there are no absolutes.

There is NO good reason to do anything other than to get Chief Premier 9.5 installed and running on your new PC. It does require some persistence by you but others have done this successfully and you can to. There is no reason why you cannot just repair your old computer and then just drive on also. Just decide what you want to have happen and then do what is necessary to make it so.

DJP

Software has no guarantees to run "forever"

software is designed for the OS that was available at that time

who knows what the future will bring

do as David suggests or find an old XP computer and load 9.5 on it

Lew

8 hours ago, BrownTiger said:

In theory you could get a hasp driver from  http://www3.safenet-inc.com/support/ and create shortcut and set compatibility mode.

Others have reported that they have done as above and also say that Version 9.5 runs fine otherwise (what they mean by "fine" may or may not agree with your definition of "Fine" but that is what several other Chief Users have reported here within the last year or so. AS I have said, I went the dual boot route where 9.5 and other versions created to run in XP actually do run quite well.

Windows XP is still the third most used operating system worldwide but I would NEVER use it for internet browsing as it has way too many security weaknesses for that these days. But is fully capable of supporting applications that were designed to run within it.

DJP

>Windows XP is still the third most used operating system worldwide but I would NEVER use it for internet browsing as it has way too many security weaknesses for that these days.

The weaknesses were not just in a browser, but network drivers (SMBv1). If you use file shares XP can only do v1s.

But there are also countless security issues. I would not recommend. 

• 3 years later...

November 2020

This is an old thread but maybe this will help someone.

Had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall Chief Ver 10.0 in a fresh install of Windows 10 (latest version 1004 with all current updates through November 2020). Yes Chief Architect Version 10 or 10.08 still works and I would think this works for earlier versions.. After installing version 10.0 from my saved installation files, Windows 10 would not allow me to open the Chief Architect program as the User Account Control (UAC) security stopped the program from opening. I had to go into Registry Edit and turn UAC off (note many online articles as how to do this and turn it on and off). After the install of Chief Architect 10.0, the program could not find the HASP key. Took a while but I found the following to get new hasp key drivers. I suggest deleting all old Hasp Key drivers (mine were Aladin files/drivers) prior to installing the new downloaded files/drivers (which will be Sentinel). Once I got the Hasp Key recognized I updated to 10.08 and Chief 10.08 works as normal..

Go to step 3 for the file to download the drivers. Please uninstall any old drivers first. You may need to insert the hasp key for the files/drivers to show in Control Panel/Device Manager/USB controllers to uninstall them.

1.  Went to site: Thales Customer Support Portal at: https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm/?id=portal_home_page
then using their search look for the following: hasp driver chief architect

2.  That search will lead to the following page:

https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm/?id=kb_search&q=hasp%20drivers%20chief%20architect

where you will look for: Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Run-Time-Installer 8.13

3.  This is the download site for the driver:  

There no spaces in this address. This thread would not allow word wrap for the long string.

https://supportportal.gemalto.com/csm/?sys_kb_id=61fb0ee1dbd2e78cfe0aff3dbf9619ab&id=kb_article_view&sysparm_rank=21&sysparm_tsqueryId=957514cbdb9ce41080b234523996196e

The following is the file description needed:

Sentinel® LDK and Sentinel HASP® Run-time Environment Installer GUI for Windows
Refer to the Readme file included in the package for details.

MD5 (Sentinel_LDK_Run-time_setup.zip) = 2b9a4dc20e6acc32cc9e4636b1d5eafa

Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Run-Time-installer 8.13 after being installed and then checking Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers shows:

Sentinel USB Key
Sentinel HL Key
Sentinel USB Key

Note that all three show the driver version is actually 7.92.0.0 with a date of 03/29/2019

Hope this helps.

Bob Schroeder

Sarasota, FL

rschroeder@comcast.net

On 12/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, BobbyS said:

November 2020

This is an old thread but maybe this will help someone.

Sentinel HASP/LDK Windows GUI Run-Time-installer 8.13 after being installed and then checking Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers shows:

Sentinel USB Key
Sentinel HL Key
Sentinel USB Key

Note that all three show the driver version is actually 7.92.0.0 with a date of 03/29/2019

Hope this helps.

Bob Schroeder

Sarasota, FL

rschroeder@comcast.net

Nice Tutorial Bob , I'd suggest you also Put it over in the Tips Forum with some Tags for Hasp and 10.08 as this seems to be asked monthly at least and may get lost on this old thread.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/24-tips-techniques/

• 3 years later...

I am going to read this thread in my own time, but some of you guys need to record your successes and upload to YouTube!  $$$  My new expert tool in a click on the Firestick!! I call my XP the work horse with running 9.5 as I can't produce fast enough with X6 on my Windows 8 / 8.5 /Now 10?!?!?  So many more clicks in drawing.

I got the hardware lock to turn on in Windows 10 and so it gives me the Blue Screen of Death...  So that ended me trying to run in compatibility mode. I need to YouTube Dual Boot.  I had one before but my friend set it up.   OOOOooooooh!!! Which one to select... Windows 95 or 98??? You'd think something called XP for Extra Power would've been the end all?  Do you see what "THEY" are doing to us?

On 5/16/2017 at 5:06 AM, DavidJPotter said:

Windows XP is still the third most used operating system worldwide but I would NEVER use it for internet browsing as it has way too many security weaknesses for that these days. But is fully capable of supporting applications that were designed to run within it.

DJP

My XP gets less and less functions with the browsers IE is gone, Chrome is now taking away sites or says my system clock is wrong?, Mozzila FireFox tries but they are limiting it too. And MyPal is getting really buggy.  I surf mainly with the Firestick, doesn't do downloads!

I recently bought a brand new gaming computer with XP pro installed on it for Archiving purposes. I got it from eBay. I have never seen XP work so fast.

I installed CAV9.5 & 10 on it but I had to install the HASP driver manually from the actual dongle. All works good now. I spent $800 AU or approximately $500 USD because I have heaps of plans stored in CAV10 and earlier.

To move my legacy plans and layouts to later versions of CA, I open them in X8 and save them, then work on them in that version or later if possible.

Not a simple exercise.

On 12/30/2023 at 8:21 PM, mthd97 said:

I recently bought a brand new gaming computer with XP pro installed on it for Archiving purposes. I got it from eBay. I have never seen XP work so fast.

I installed CAV9.5 & 10 on it but I had to install the HASP driver manually from the actual dongle. All works good now. I spent $800 AU or approximately $500 USD because I have heaps of plans stored in CAV10 and earlier.

To move my legacy plans and layouts to later versions of CA, I open them in X8 and save them, then work on them in that version or later if possible.

Not a simple exercise.

Hey mth97,

Couldn't you just plot a PDF of the layouts for filing those projects and leave the CAD files where they are until you really need them? 

I have setup a New Layout file for the newer Chief X6. I then copy the .PL* plans to an X6 file folder THEN import them.  The existence of an X6 folder in the project folder indicates their maybe something for this project elsewhere. I copy them as Chief has a nasty habit of cutting those PL* files and place them elsewhere. Then all you have to is resend those prints to your newer layout. once you've place them into their new file folders. 

5 hours ago, Rickster said:

Hey mth97,

Couldn't you just plot a PDF of the layouts for filing those projects and leave the CAD files where they are until you really need them? 

I have setup a New Layout file for the newer Chief X6. I then copy the .PL* plans to an X6 file folder THEN import them.  The existence of an X6 folder in the project folder indicates their maybe something for this project elsewhere. I copy them as Chief has a nasty habit of cutting those PL* files and place them elsewhere. Then all you have to is resend those prints to your newer layout. once you've place them into their new file folders. 

Hi, If you are ok with just 2D plan files as either PDF or DWG, sure you can do something like that.

I have recently taken a very complex split level home including the terrain from V9.5 and saved it in X8 along with the old layout file and they both look fine. I can also open the plan in X10 to work on it and it all looks right. The layouts I can only work in X8 for now but that’s cool, I am ok with working in X8 or doing new layouts in X10 after a re-modeling.

It even works fine in going from windows to Mac as I did above. 

Well done to CA for making it relatively straight forward.