Cad Blocks, Resizing Etc.

Dennis_Gavin

Please look at the attached CAD block for a wall sconce on the left of the picture.

The fixture size is 6x6x9. The block is much larger. I have opened the symbol

and generated new block but nothing changes. I have also had problems altering other cad blocks

for other situations. Doesn't seem to be a button for editing them anywhere I can find. I thought I had done this in the past. Any help appreciated.

post-132-0-07528400-1403792211_thumb.jpg

Dennis:

Which sconce is that ... I tried to do a search by plugging in the number and got a disk image malformed error message so wasn't able to pull it up that way?

Edit:  I think I was thinking you had the sconce(s) over the vanities but I see there's something else on the bottom wall ,... is that your sconce?

You can edit the cad block in the cad block DBX. After resizing it you have to re-block it and re-save it so it shows up in the cad block DBX, then just open the symbol, go to 2d and choose the new cad block.

Perry - the problem is I am not finding the correct place to edit the cad block.

Under the CAD dbx and the CAD block management there are no options to edit it.

I think I forget the process to get that block into an editable cad detail or whatever.

You need to put it on the plan using insert, UNBLOCK IT change THEN EDIT THE UNBLOCKED CAD it then block it, change the name and it automatically back into the cad block DBX, then change the cad block in symbol

Dennis must know to unblock it, he's been around forever. Doesn't everyone know that change it means unblock?

Probably,  just trying to be a little clearer for others,  I did not mean to step on any toes.

OK, I inserted and changed it but now cannot find a way to associate it with the symbol. I also cannot

get the actual smbol to resize correctly. It says 6x6x9 in the dialogue but the actual size is much larger. Something weird here and it might be me. Been that kind of week

The symbol was imported from 3D wharehouse in the past.

Oh, and I did not get notices that there were replies to my post. ???

post-132-0-89186300-1403806288_thumb.jpg

wall sconce.calibz

Dennis:

I tried to reduce the size of the 3D symbol and it just doesn't work.  I can reduce the 2D block OK ... but not the 3D view of the symbol.  I think you need to go find one that works better or try to make one of those yourself.

Perry - did you take a 3D view of the symbol? IT is still huge. Not representative of the listed size.

How did you reduce the size? Did you see that in my plan when you open the symbol the cad block(sconce) was not there?

All I did was open the cad block insert it and unblock it, reduce it's size and re-block, changed the name. Then opened the symbol and choose the new cad

block. I did not look at it in 3d. took 10 seconds. To resize the actual symbol you have to resize it in the symbol DBX. You may have to re-size and save it as a new symbol

there also could be a problem with the symbol

I'll look at it again.

Dennis:

I just experimented with one of Chief's library sconces and was able to resize the sconce in a 3D view by selecting the sconce and then opening its dbx and changing the size in the General Tab of the dbx.  I can't do the same with your sconce.  Therefore, I think it is corrupted ... broken ... just doesn't work.  I can't think of anything else to try.  Maybe Joe Carrick (a symbol expert) will chime in and tell you what's going on.  I give up.

OK, At least I'm not crazy. (well, maybe....)

Thanks for checking guys. Looks like I will have to trash that symbol.

Dennis, don't trash the symbol. There is an easy fix. I'll call you in a little bit. If I don't get you, I'll post a fix here.

Okay, here is a fix for the problem. Open your lamp symbol from the library (before you place it in the plan) and make it sit on the floor so you don't have to have a wall in the plan. Place it in a new blank plan. Once in the plan, take a vector overview. Now go to TOOLS TAB>symbol>Convert to symbol. Now it will be placed in your User library. Take that new symbol and place it in your plan. Now select the symbol in your plan view and open the symbol DBX (not "open symbol"). With the symbol DBX open, now you'll see the actual size of the symbol and now you can resize it and it will look fine in 3D. Once you have resized it, make a new symbol of it as described above and you are now good to go.

This can really be done in less than a minute once understood what to do.

If you have troubles doing this, let me know and I'll post a corrected symbol.

• Upvote 1

1.  Place the Symbol in a blank plan.

2.  Dispaly it in 3D and use Transform Replicate to resize it.

3.  Convert it to a new Symbol (Electrical, Ligtht, Hangs on Wall, Set height from Floor)

That should handle everything.  As mick said, it was probably a scale problem with the original symbol.

If the above doesn't take care of the 2D Block then you can resize that as Perry indicated.

• Upvote 1