Reputation Points ???

Joe_Carrick

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Limiting negative votes to one per day is an excellent way to control vendettas

there was a user awhile back who carried out a vendetta and even tho he stopped posting he lurked waiting to pounce with a drive-by attack

when challenged and proven wrong etc he would end with "have a nice day"

someone like that would use their one negative vote as a vendetta

on the other hand, one per day wouldn't be very useful if a user was constantly giving bad advice or there was more than one user that day needing a negative vote

so bottom line - this system isn't going to be very useful or reliable

and will only serve to annoy

Lew

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who the frick cares? It's not important...... as the Alaskan Son says, "it's a barometer", I think I was paraphrasing what michael said, seriously, if CA wants to use points to rate posts, let them do it and we should have fun with it, It's not important, what's important is that we as a community continue to strive to share ideas to make us as a whole that much better.

Now, how much longer do we'd have to wait until the NFL starts spring training? Played golf with JC Today, he beat me again, so what 's new? Give me another 20 years, and I will clean his clock........ Of course he will be 137 years old by then, but who is counting?

• Upvote 1

I haven't spent much time on the forum lately but feel like I know most of the people who post on here. I think I know by seeing who posted a reply on whether it will be legit or not (actually, I can't think of anyone who I would just ignore the post because "they" posted it) I personally doubt I will ever rate something or even ever remember to look at the rating. So really, to me it's a non issue as I figure it will be to everyone after this thread dies. 

• 1 month later...

After years of succinct and relevant  contributions to this forum I was surprised and dismayed to find myself with negative points, well all I can say is "na na na na na"

with only 8 posts ???

I do not see where Reputation points for posters is located, why would this Adminstration include a negative choice ? - however I do see "0 Warning Points" beneth my avitar that no other poster has that I have noticed ... what's up with that ?

I have 0 warning points also.  I guess that is a good thing.  Don't understand them or their purpose.  However, if some do like it, then so be it.  Doesn't bother me if they are there or not.  I just look for advice people give regarding CA and try my best to return the favor when i see other's questions about CA.

I think the reputation points is to keep us in line.  I have received a couple of negative reputation reports from my good friends JC and the Great Glenn Woodward,  and I personally do not believe I deserved them.  I think my answers were quite good.  At the end of the year I have an appointment to meet with the CA gurus to dispute the negative reviews that I have received from my friends.  I have even retained a lawyer and I am seeking civil retributions.  

But you know what,  I still like them,   I think it was their way of keeping me on my toes.  Thanks guys,  keep zapping me when I get out of line.

Don't mess with Scott!  He is an 'insider' and can destroy your reputation with a 'single click' :)  :) :)  Just pulling your chain... I value all you guys, but have to be sarcastic, it is my nature...

On another note:  The final episodes of 'Breaking Bad' are now on Netflix!  I know Scott is a big

Yes, but Scott is a major suck up. I can remember when he was bad mouthing his Son's MAC now because Chief has ported over he is all in 100% with apple. I bet he sends a check to Dan once a week to get the reputation points. I just can't fathom how a guy who lives under a bridge can afford all of the things he does. And golf too. Do you thing he may be doing something illegal.

Hey Ron,   I am past Breaking  Bad,  i have moved onto Veronica Mars,  pretty good show.  No my son never used a MAC,  he was always on PC and always used  REVIT.  Yeah,  I am all over Apple now.  Been an Apple guy since 1989,  only reason I bought the PC was to use this program.  All MAC because everything syncs,  IPAD,  IPHONE,  IMAC,  ILAPTOP and the ILYNN......  

.....  and yes I am a major suck up,  but nobody at CA notices......  

All joking aside, we hope that users will spend a bit more time composing good responses to questions to get these points. Points are accumulated when you click the up arrow next to a post or next to content in the gallery.

You get 10 points each day to award to posts you like, 1 each day to award to posts you don't like.

With luck this will help boost good answers. It's not about how much you post but how well you post. :)  

Dan,

Not to be disrespectful, but, I would be more comfortable if you guys spent time on what many of us find inportant, PLEASE

d dot,

If you can direct me to the post where I gave you a negative report, I am quite happey to have another look and reassess my rating. :rolleyes:

I would hate to se an injustice done on the owner of a new stainless steel blender.

I think I may have done it just to see what happens.

It may have been when they just started uo this new forum.

Or maybe it was for using excessive profanities in a video. :o

On the other hand, you have very well deserved a negative rating! :wacko:

Yeah, you probably did!

Glenn,  it  was the OOB answer.  I said OOB was out of the  of the box settings,  which is very true unless you set up a profile plan.  Once a profile plan is set up,  that messes up the OOB settings.  

You correctly stated that my answer was incorrect if a profile plan has been created.

Since I have never created a "profile plan"   I firmly believe my response was correct.  And for one of my good buddies,  (by the way,  I did buy you that very very expensive coffee table book),  to give me a black mark is totally unforgivable,  I just want you to know that  "my people" will be contacting "your people".

BTW,  how is Jenny doing,  I did like her a lot more than you.

Oh yeah,  I just remembered,  your gift to me was a set of Kangaroo Testicles.....  

d dot,

I will ignore your snide remark regarding the most prized bits of our national symbol's anatomy.

Let me ask just one question.

When you open Chief, where are the default settings loaded from?

Do you have a link to that thread?

d dot,

I will ignore your snide remark regarding the most prized bits of our national symbol's anatomy.

Let me ask just one question.

When you open Chief, where are the default settings loaded from?

Do you have a link to that thrtead?

I think what you are asking Is when I open CA and OPEN A NEW PLAN, where are the defaults coming from.

I assume they are loaded from the OOB settings. Glenn, whenever I start a new plan, the info is OOB, I have never created a template plan to override the OOB settings.

Everybody in the world probably has a template plan, I don't. Remember I use the SAM.

The OOB settings come from the Template plan specified at Preferences....General...New Plans...Plan Template.

If you never change and save any default settings to your template plan, then yes, you will always get the OOB settings.

But, as soon as you change a default setting and save it to your template plan, you will no longer get the OOB settings.

Using your SAM method is no different than using a Template plan.

When you start a new plan, how do you open your SAM plan? This plan is your template plan - whichever way you look at it.

I think the reputation points is to keep us in line.  I have received a couple of negative reputation reports from my good friends JC and the Great Glenn Woodward,  and I personally do not believe I deserved them.  I think my answers were quite good.  At the end of the year I have an appointment to meet with the CA gurus to dispute the negative reviews that I have received from my friends.  I have even retained a lawyer and I am seeking civil retributions.  

But you know what,  I still like them,   I think it was their way of keeping me on my toes.  Thanks guys,  keep zapping me when I get out of line.

Scott,

You are absolutely correct - and normally you are right on and extremely helpful.  In fact I gained some value from the response in the thread where I dinged you.

The ding was for your negative comment of my solution to the arch.  I think it's always valid to show another way of doing something but I try not to denigrate someone else's method of doing something.  Helping is good, and you do it very well.  Just remember that it's not a contest.

• Upvote 1

Nope, when I open a new plan, they are truly OOB settings, and yes from CA' template plan.

8-1/2 years ago I opened a new plan. I changed the defaults for me. I saved that as plan 1. Every new project originates from that very first plan...... Which did come from the OOB SETTINGS.

Ok d dot, we are getting caught up with semantics.

If you changed the defaults in the default plan and saved it as Plan 1 and that is what now loads when you start Chief, then these are NOT the OOB settings.

OOB means OUT OF BOX - OOB doesn't mean when Chief loads.

Take the Chief DVD and install it on your computer - you will have the OOB defaults.

Once you change the defaults and save then to that Plan 1 template plan, they are no longer OOB - they are your new defaults.

Doesn't matter if they load when Chief starts up - they are not OOB defaults (by definition)!

I think I might just give you another negative report!! ;)

Glenn, you are not listening. I did not change the settings of default plan. When I open a new plan they are CA's defaults. I hate them. They do not work for me. I have not created a new plan in years, all my plans are edited from older plans.

If I bought a brand new license and opened a new plan, those settings will be exactly what I get when I open a new plan.

When I open a brand new plan, they are truly OOB. One reason I have never changed CA template plan, is when I do a video, I want to be clear that the results are never effected by my own personnel defaults.

When I open a new plan the default plate height is 97-1/8". I never create a work project from this file. I have no files with a 97-1/8" plate height.

Anyway, it's not important, your answer was better than mine because it was a perfect answer for 99.999999% of the users, and I was a bit embarrassed that my answer was not truly correct, I deserved the black mark.

Glenn, I can buy a brand new license, open a new plan, save as plan 1, I do not believe this changes OOB settings. To change OOB settings I would then need to save plan 1 as a template plan.

I have never saved a plan as a template plan.