capitaldesigns

Creating plot plan ands ending plan to layout

Recommended Posts

I am working on a room addition plan and ready to send  the plot plan to the layout sheet. In AutoCAD, for the plot plan, I use a single dashed line that outline the exterior walls and solid lines that represents the roof of the house. Is there away to do this in CA ?  It looks to be that I have to send the entire floor plan including the interior walls. Is this correct ?

 

One way I could do this is to trace over the exterior walls and give it a unique layer name, turn off all irrelevant layer then send this to layout. I'm hoping that CA has a better way of doing this. 

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Mike, If this format is different than any other layerset you are currently using just make a copy of one that is close and change the name and edit it for layers and line styles etc...  If you select the exterior room you can save a bunch of tracing time by hitting the "Make Room Polyline"  Tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes , you just send the whole plan to the layout to keep it live and just turn on and off what you need to show, it really helps to set up an anno-set to help save time, thing like having a separate layer for plot plan text and lines. I always say keep it live for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions. I am setting up and annotation plot plan set. Creating an exterior room polyline is a good idea. This works great for a one story house. How do I do this with a two story house ? I know I can have the 2nd story roof planes move down to the first floor, but how do I get the 2nd floor exterior room polyline to also move down to the first floor ?

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

How do I do this with a two story house ? I know I can have the 2nd story roof planes move down to the first floor, but how do I get the 2nd floor exterior room polyline to also move down to the first floor ?

 

No problem Mike,  Do it the same way I used to move roof planes before I knew there was a special tool.  Select room polyline CTRL + X then move to the new floor and CTRL + ALT + V

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a plot plan ref set for 2 story's , it's all automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, capitaldesigns said:

Do you send the entire floor plan to the plot plan or do send an outline of both floors and the roof plan to the plot plan ?

 

He sends the entire plan to layout...  it is live.  He picks the layers he wants on and assigns a line style and line weight to the layer.

 

The key is understanding which level you want to ref...  I think P. sends his first floor to layout and ref's the second floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you show all of the rooms on the plot plan ? Bathrooms, family rooms, kitchens, etc. I have never send it done that way.

Usually it's the outline of each floor along with the roof plan that is shown on the plot plan. Sending the entire floor plan can

get cluttered.

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you create a Site Plan Layer Set that has those things not displayed.  The Annoset selects that Layer Set.

It's also a good idea to have a Site Plan Reference Layer Set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dshall said:

 

He sends the entire plan to layout...  it is live.  He picks the layers he wants on and assigns a line style and line weight to the layer.

 

The key is understanding which level you want to ref...  I think P. sends his first floor to layout and ref's the second floor.

Yes Scott , you are correct, you know me better than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am attaching my plan and layout sheet with the plot plan. I am getting the plan ready for the HOA meeting later this week.

 

I still have a little more work on the plot plan, but this is how I have been drawing them for the last 33 years. I do not provide

the entire floor plan. I draw a dashed line that represents the exterior edge of the outside walls. I trying to figure out what is

the easiest way to do this.

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

Naimi Layout.layout

2017-02-X9_Design_1.plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just turn off the walls after you make a p-line with a fill (trace the walls) and a dotted line , put on it's own layer, did not look at your plan though. you can always use the outside- room p-line tool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, capitaldesigns said:

I am attaching my plan and layout sheet with the plot plan. I am getting the plan ready for the HOA meeting later this week.

 

I still have a little more work on the plot plan, but this is how I have been drawing them for the last 33 years. I do not provide

the entire floor plan. I draw a dashed line that represents the exterior edge of the outside walls. I trying to figure out what is

the easiest way to do this.

 

Thanks,

 

Mike

Naimi Layout.layout

2017-02-X9_Design_1.plan

Go to CAD>create Plan Footprint>make sure CAD default layer is on>double click the plan footprint>de-select Display Plan Details>select display Footprint Poly Line>change line style to suit>should get you dashed line of outside walls>annotate to suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27825
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    ChiefDallas
    Newest Member
    ChiefDallas
    Joined