Suggestions on how to model these windows

SchnieppDesign

You use a default window with a lintel and sill added, then add a molding poly line at the top using a brick soldier course material sized to emulate the curved brick lintels.

DJP

You know,  if you would  post a small plan proving your method works would be a great help to all of us.......  think about it......  how do you get the curved brick arch while maintaining the flat top window. 

Try it David,  show me how to do it in a small plan and I will bow down to your  greatness.

• Upvote 2

DJP, I would also love to see a video of how you do this. Working on a remodel plan now with multiple different sized mulled windows using a "lazy" arch similar to OP (not a circle top and, Lord help us, if it is an elliptical). I can not get a brick soldier course material to look right - tried several and just gave up to get the preliminaries out the door. I don't care so much for a Raytrace view, although that would be nice, but just something that looks good in a render view.

Thanks, Mike

I think that the way to get there is making a single brick as a molding symbol then using that on a curved 3d pline, add a second row with offset. Once you have it looking right convert to a millwork symbol and use it as a window treatment- will have to muck around with symbol origin though.. Attached is a start- to make it look good I'd figure out the angle for the sides of the brick before converting the solid to a molding symbol.

Currently working on a job where I had to use the window treatment thing a lot so that's what I was thinking.

Actually guess you wouldn't want to add the angle to the brick, only the mortar in the new symbol.

post-85-0-88634400-1474485436_thumb.jpg

brick arch.plan

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info, Mark. I tried the method you did and did OK with elevations (I don't send renders or colors to layout, only B&W or gray). It would work OK if the brick was something like Chief's "red brick whatever." It's when the brick has a color variation, as most do, that it goes completely crazy. I did arrive at one try where it worked, kind of, but all of the brick were identical - not very realistic.

Thanks, Mike

I did one of these a while back and tried to make my own brick material but apparently  there are some in the Mohawk library now according to this CA Tutorial : https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00797/creating-a-soldier-course.html

Mike, if this looks acceptable to you I just used a screen shot of a brick from my plan.

John, I started with a broken arch top window to get the correct wall opening and then put in a small polyline solid filler piece to square it up. I don't know why CA does not have this window type as it seems to be quite common and the houses of that era will likely remain with us for a long time since they were built so well.

post-4797-0-52058000-1474506041_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Chopsaw. But it appears from your attached pic you used a somewhat uniform color material/texture for the arch that is different from the wall. That's my problem. The texture does not rotate with the brick as it moves around the arc or 3D molding line like it does in the real world. Nor does the texture vary from brick to brick (which might be a nightmare to program into the program code). This type of behavior is why I am resorting to doing most of my prelim work in Technical Illustration for the client. But when I finally do the renders for a client to view I will invariably have a client want to know why the brick over the windows doesn't match the walls. This always seems to be so obvious to them when they will ignore the other critical details.

Mike

Mike, If I have time I will try to make up a better illustration, as with the library textures I think it is possible to achieve the level of quality you require with my original technique.  The only reason that it does not look so great in the attachment above is that the material was a 96dpi screen capture and I did not take the time to refine the material.  If you would like me to try a mock up on your plan please let me know.

Thanks for the offer, Chopsaw. I have this one almost done and about ready to send out. I am going to experiment some more later on. If I can ever get the texture part worked out all is good. I do wish CA would add this type of lintel to the list of possible choices. We use them quite often and it is always a hassle.

Mike