Layout Question

BlackWidow

I would like to show the existing footprint of a house on one layout page and then the additional footprint on another layout page but everytime I change it then it will change it in the layout. Is there any way of doing this so that I can have two different layout views? Thanks.

-Greg T.

When I do remodels....and that's a BIG WHEN since I hate them like poison.....I turn the existing plan footprint into a CAD block and use it as an overlay. Why anyone in their right mind would try to put multiple walls in the same location anyway is beyond me. 

I too use this cad method too sometimes. The reason I mentioned using two plans is because in our existing plan (Existing/demo Plan) we hatch all wall that are to be demoed, and use a lot of text explaining what is going on for the demo. In the new plan, I hatch all existing walls. In a complicated plan, which is often the case, I do an existing cad overlay in a separate view (layer set) in the layout as you all mention. A lot of times I do it for the Engineers as a quick reference. If I do a cad overlay, I only show the walls, door and windows in the overlay....generally dashed and light grey.

If you're doing a remodel, I personally don't advocate having the existing plan and proposed plan in one plan file. I'm fairly certain that some people will though.

I absolutely agree with Tommy.  There,  you have two nitwits saying the same thing,  do what Tommy says until some smart guy comes along and says something different...... AND PROVES HIS METHOD IS BETTER.

When I do remodels....and that's a BIG WHEN since I hate them like poison...........Why anyone in their right mind would try to put multiple walls in the same location anyway is beyond me. 

I absolutely agree with Joey,  however I love remodels,  do them all the time,  there are many ways to do what Joey is essentiallly saying,  I think I have a better method and done videos on it.....  bottom line,  do not combine new with existing.

Joey:

how can layersets do it ???

it would be nice if we had total control of the layers

so that multiple walls could occupy the same space

but currently chief doesn't allow for that

Lew

Come on Lew,  don't complicate things,  listen to Tommy,  heed what Joey is saying and watch one of the multitude of videos I have done on the subject.......  just don't ask me to find the vids,  they are out there somewhere.

Scott:

I usually do what Tommy does

I sometimes use a Cad Block like Joey said "later"

however, Joey originally said "layersets" and that wasn't clear

I suspected he meant cad blocks because I know he is experienced

but someone new reading this thread might get confused and try to use

multiple walls in the same location and then try to control display with layers/layersets

personally, I will continue to advocate for being all to do "everything" in one plan

we can't do it now - but it would be nice to be able to control "all" via layers

Lew

A clean model is a happy model, existing walls left in the plan, just muck it up.

Perry,

I am 100% with you.

Once a wall is demolished it is no longer a wall - so why the **** do users want to represent a demolished wall with a wall?

I don't get it - use cad - either by using View to Cad or just draw cad lines directly in the plan.

Glenn

because today it IS A WALL

tomorrow it won't be - but may be replaced by another WALL

so when reviewing a plan are you looking at today or tomorrow or both ???

I think "both"

for now it is "semantics" as we have no choice but to use two plans or a cad block

then add multiple alternatives for "tomorrow" and it can be a real PITA

to have to make a change to all the plans

attempting to keep them all in sync can lead to error

having total control of layers so that we can show wall A or B or C or D ....

would be very nice

however, I suspect it will be a long time coming - probably never :(

but I will keep asking

Lew

Perry,

Once a wall is demolished it is no longer a wall - so why the **** do users want to represent a demolished wall with a wall?

Glenn, I have had several people call me over the years wanting to know why when they change a wall type to a demo wall and turn it off, and use different layer sets, they start having problems after a while. They say that Chief has videos and tutorials for doing it this way. WELL, THAT'S TRUE! THEY DO! I simply tell them that doing this is not a method that I agree with and will almost guarantee problems with a sophisticated plan with multiple floors and even worse if you have elevated floors on a single floor. Back in X1 when they first came out with the demolition wall types and layer sets, this was an accepted method but not for Louis and me because it didn't take us long to find problems. I just looked up threads from powerful users telling you to do this back when X1 was out. Today, you can still see the videos and the wall types are still there in the drop down menu. Every time I've asked someone why they're using this method for doing existing and proposed plans, they say because they saw it in the training videos.